ODrive will not launch in windows

Hmm… that is odd. It could be suffering from the same issue that our launcher is. Something unusual about the environment.

Can you supply a screenshot of running the command and the resulting error please?

I also tried to use it earlier today and got the following log file.

oDriveError.txt (224 Bytes)

Yeah here you go, sorry got lazy and didn’t crop.

Hi @Riffy_Divine , I just tested on an old Win 7 machine at home and got the same error, but that was due to having the wrong version in the path C:\Windows\System32\mshta.exe vbscript:Execute(“CreateObject(”“Wscript.Shell”").Run “”%userprofile%.odrive\bin*4851*\odriveapp.exe"", 0, False:close")

I updated to the latest from https://www.odrive.com/download and used:

C:\Windows\System32\mshta.exe vbscript:Execute(“CreateObject(”“Wscript.Shell”").Run “”%userprofile%.odrive\bin\4858\odriveapp.exe"", 0, False:close")

which then kicked the app off fine. Can you give that a try?

Same error, I tried that also when I noticed that the bin* was the wrong folder since that folder didn’t exist. I still got the same pop up error but I will do another screen grab all the same if you want? I did a full uninstall of it and used an installer from a few days ago so unless it’s updated it’s using the correct version.

@Riffy_Divine Another screenshot isn’t needed, but thanks. You are on Windows 7?

Yeah, ultimate if it matters. The shot I posted the first time shows I tried both 4851 and 4828. I believe 4828 was the only folder under bin. The error just sounds like it can’t find the file or knows what to do with the command I issued.

OK so next step Fromat C:\ - Install Linux! All kidding aside, Did you run the command through an admin cmd prompt? I’m wondering if maybe we’re possibly running in to some permissions issues.

Mint is installed and last I checked you didn’t have a linux client yet. Dual boot is the only way to live. Yes I did cmd in the find box right clicked on it and picked run as admin and clicked yes to the pop up of are you sure you want to do this and then into command. Here let me remote in and try again, it’s a pain via my phone.

Yup same pop up error like before.

So it’s likely a problem with my environment, but I can’t figure out what it is. I installed oDrive on my laptop that has a fresh installation of Windows 8.1 and it was able to startup with no errors. I’d rather not have to reformat my computer just to get it working.

The strange thing is that I can’t start it up with the vb workaround or the launcher, but if I run odriveapp.exe from the directory it starts with no issues.

Hi Doc, yea we have a bit of a head-scratcher. I was able to install it just fine on an old Win 7 gaming rig I had lying around at home, and naturally it works fine. We have QA and engineering looking in to it though, something is obviously interfering/preventing it.

Any news on what’s going on?

This one is a difficult one to crack. Considering the fact that the little hack I had posted also fails on these system indicates some sort of environmental issue, but I can’t think of what it could be. I am try to see if there is another experiment we can run to narrow this down.

I wish I could reproduce this in house…

Hi @Tony Thanks for the update. Is there any way to enable verbose logging on the odriveapp.exe file? I actually do get an execution error when I run the vbscript. It seems that it’s rooted in the SETX command, but the log doesn’t really indicate what’s going on.

Is anyone willing to install python on their Windows box (or possibly already has it installed)? We could try to simulate the process launching straight from source to see if it spits out any useful info on your boxes.

I have python 3.5.1 installed

I also got python installed due to mod work I do.

Okay. Here are two commands to try using python. I have them written as “one-liners” you can pass in cmd, but you can run it any way you choose:

This first command creates an “attached” subprocess:

python -c "from os.path import expanduser; from subprocess import Popen; pid = Popen([expanduser('~') + '/.odrive/bin/4851/odriveapp.exe']).pid; print pid"

This second command creates a “detached” subprocess, which is very similar to what we are doing in the launcher app:

python -c "from os.path import expanduser; from subprocess import Popen; DETACHED_PROCESS = 0x00000008; pid = Popen([expanduser('~') + '/.odrive/bin/4851/odriveapp.exe'], creationflags=DETACHED_PROCESS).pid; print pid"

Can you guys try the above commands and let me know what happens?

Thanks!

Well, that’s a great workaround for me. it started up without the terminal window :confused:

The attached subprocess line will still be rooted in the cmd that is used to run the python command. Are you talking about the second command? Do both launch odrive for you?