Add option to bypass odrive's Trash

I’d love to be able to disable odrive’s trash system as I’m used to relying on Dropbox keeping it’s own backups of my deleted files. I often delete files and completely forget about clearing odrive’s trash and other users of the Dropbox complain.

It would be great if this could be a per-link setting if possible, but I’d be happy with a global one.

3 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. This is something that has been requested by others and we have it on our list for further consideration. Just so many things to do atm… :slightly_smiling:

Understand, just moved it over from the old forums so it didn’t get lost :slight_smile:

1 Like

See that now. Thanks for moving it over!

Any ideas as to when you might have any news about this?

Sorry @Tenebrous. No new news on this.

No problem, thanks for the “no new news” news.

Just to let the developers know that there is another person who would VERY much like to see this implemented. An option to bypass trash entirely, or have the trash empty every 30 days. Having to manually empty the trash after every delete is quite tedious! Implement that and I’d say the program is almost perfect! Thanks!!

And while this subject is under discussion, I’d like to see an option to do the opposite - to empty the odrive trash into the local OS Trash or Recycle folder.

This might be too much for people with software that generates a lot of temporary files that get synced to the cloud, but would provide another recovery option for those who accidentally manage to do something really stupid and automatically click yes to the prompt and then realize that their files are really really gone. It should be an option users can control depending on what they need.

Not every cloud system automatically keeps things forever, and not every cloud system offers you an easy way of recovering from the trash bin.

never mind why I am asking this :slightly_smiling:

I’ll add my name to the list of those who would like to see implementation of automatic trash emptying.

We have several hundred TB of cloud storage spread primarily across different flavors of S3, Google, and Box. Odirve promises a single, unified interface to these providers, allowing us to easily expand or migrate data as needed.

We run automated jobs that maintain an up-to-date copy of a range of files for access by employees worldwide. In many cases we only want the most recent set of files; i.e. not just the most recent versions but only files touched within the past . Ideally, odrive could run on a master headless server for these file buckets without the requirement of manually deleting the trash files.

A second scenario arises when a team of people has R/W/D access to a file bucket. Relying on each employee to manually delete their personal odrive trash - that isn’t going to happen.

It very well may be that I’m unaware of an underlying functionality that could alleviate these concerns. If I’m just ignorant - certainly not the first time - please fill me in!

1 Like

Yeah, this is exactly what’s happening on our end. Users forget to empty the trash and then other users are grabbing old outdated versions of files that should have been deleted.

How are they able to grab an old version when it is in the trash?

It’s only in the odrive trash for the person who deleted it, who has yet to empty their trash. Everyone else sees the file as it was on the cloud service. This is currently what is stopping me from getting more of my team using odrive.

Encryption poses another reason why automatic trash disposal is necessary. Odrive mangles the file names to a minimum length of 56 characters. There is no good method to determine what file on the cloud corresponds to a local file. Therefore locally deleted files cannot be deleted from a cloud interface.

This might work for a single user, but I do not see odrive’s subscription services being targeted at one-person shops.

Completely agree, it makes loads of sense to have an odrive trash for a single user, but when you’re collaborating through cloud services it’s a pain.

One of our IT guys brought up a good point. Computers die or need replacement. Often an older computer is replaced with a newer model. In the case of laptops, this usually comes with an upgrade to the OS from Win 8.1 to 10. While we have backups of all user files and can migrate settings for common apps (e.g. Office, Adobe, etc.), it’s unlikely to happen for odrive. If a computer sporting odrive encryption service dies, any files in odrive’s trash will live on with no easy way to flag them for deletion.

Any files that are flagged for deletion that are not committed (empty trash), will still be available in the cloud. If you were to wipe and reinstall and then reconnect to an encrypted source, the files would need to be re-deleted, since they will show up as if they never were deleted (in reality they weren’t). There shouldn’t be a case where they you can’t find them or get to them somehow.

That’s the problem. We want the files to be deleted - having old, outdated versions floating around is a serious problem. This is one of the main issues holding back our teams from better cloud utilization.

Hi,
In our company we use Office 365 and deleted files from the trash ODrive are not present in the onedrive trash and that’s a problem. Files deleted locally must be synchronized with onedrive for one simple reason, we are multi-media (PC, tablet, phone) and we must have the same view between each bracket.
Thank you to take into account for future developments.
Best regards,
Denis

Please, delete the trash empty manual.
Our Team don`t need it!
PLEASE!