Trouble with recursive bulk download

Hi, I may have lost a large portion of my client files.

I made the decision to move a lot of my files to OneDrive (outside of odrive) and, while I had told odrive to sync the whole client folder and the icon suggested to me that it was finished syncing, not all sub-subfolders were synced.

So I now have .cloudf files which do not open (I moved them back to odrive and double clicked to no avail). Additionally, it seems some of the files did not copy at all (no file, no cloudf).

The good news is when I log onto odrive in the web browser, I can see my files but I cannot see a way to download them. I haven’t yet managed to check the Google Drive account in question but that’ll be my next stop.

Any suggestions on recovering my files? I already tried the ‘restore’ option from odrive trash but that didn’t help.

I searched but did not find other threads that would help.

The files are still in the Google Drive, phew. How did all this happen and how can I prevent it? Sometimes I need to move files out of odrive as I run out of space.

Hi @mot393,
I’m glad to hear you were able to find your files!

I just want to make sure I understand the scenario properly:

• You migrated lots of data off of Google Drive and onto OneDrive. This was done outside of odrive’s view.
  • You initiated a recursive sync on the Google Drive data, to try to download it all locally, before you performed the migration. The bulk operation did not finish and some subfolders were still in a placeholder state.

Are these correct?

What did you use to perform the migration?

Can you describe this use case a bit more? Where are you running out of space?

As for bulk downloads, odrive will stop the operation it it runs into too many errors or any critical exceptions. If you need to make sure everything in a folder has been fully downloaded you can do a couple of things:

1 - Do a search in the folder you want to download for any placeholder files (.cloud) and make sure nothing shows up in the search. If it does, you can run the download command again.

2 - Use the CLI to “brute-force” the download, despite any errors encountered. This is a more advanced approach which you can read about here: How can I force a recursive sync (download) with the CLI? - #2 by Tony