Linked Cloud Accounts Are Not Showing in My Odrive Folder

Even though 30 days was what I knew of Amazon Drive Trash retention days before, but now, I saw this: “Items moved to Trash are permanently deleted after 90 days. You can restore these items to your account any time before that.

From my search of the Trash section so far, on Amazon Drive, all the files were trashed between 24th-25th March, 2023. I am still trying to find if there is any other trashed file outside of that date range.

Hi @awoobforknowledge,

You can send it to support@odrive.com

Just let me know when you have sent it and I’ll take a look.

I just sent it now.

Thanks a lot.

Hi @awoobforknowledge,
Thanks.

I haven’t had a chance to look yet, but can you also send another diagnostic from the odrive tray menu, and let me know when that is sent? That way I can look at everything together.

Just sent now. Thanks a lot.

Thanks @awoobforknowledge!

Okay, I know what happened here. I had forgotten we have an optimization in the sync engine for cross-storage moves. It goes like this:

If you move a folder from one storage to another storage:

1. odrive will check if the folder has any placeholders in it.
    - If it does have placeholders, the folder will be moved back to the original location and an error message will pop-up informing you that you cannot move a folder that has placeholder files still in it.
    - If it does not have placeholders, the folder move will be allowed
  2. Once the move happens, odrive will treat the move as an add to the new storage location and a delete from the old storage location, since it cannot perform a direct move.
  3. odrive then attempts to make the operation appear as a seamless move. To do so, it will delete the item from the original location, bypassing the odrive trash. This is the only scenario where the odrive trash is bypassed.

My apologies for the confusion on this. I had completely forgotten about this particular optimization.

The intent with this optimization is to try to provide the end result the user wanted: move the folder from one place to another place without requiring any extra user steps. I am discussing with the team now if this is the behavior we actually want. It does make sense from a “user action”->“expected result” perspective, and is likely the desired effect in the vast majority of cases. However, there are exceptions to this with cases like yours where your expectation was that the original folder would be held in the odrive trash.

I looked through the logs and I didn’t see any other deletes being performed that would’ve impacted your original download of the 1-PROJECTS folder. That means all of the Amazon trash items you see should be entirely ones from the “optimized” cross-storage move. Also, since the move was allowed, everything in the 1-PROJECTS will be uploaded safely to Google (it looks like that is still ongoing).

1 Like

Is there a way to pause/temporarily-stop Odrive from trying to sync/upload to a Cloud platform (e.g. Amazon) so that it can focus syncing/uploading to another platform (e.g. Google) for the time being?

Okay. Now understood. I think everything is okay then.

However, what of now that I have had to go click on the 1-PROJECTS folder in the Trash bin to be recovered after all the Amazon Drive Trash confusions?

Hi @awoobforknowledge,

Stopping sync is an all or nothing thing, so you can’t do it for individual storages.

If you restore the folder from the odrive trash (which it looks like you already did), it will come back as a placeholder file. If you browse around inside of it, after that, you will see that the items that were already sent to Amazon Drive’s trash will not be listed (since they are now in the Amazon Drive trash).

Because of Amazon Drive’s screwy trash behavior, where every item has to be individually deleted, it is likely that the original delete operation that odrive tried to perform failed due to an Amazon Drive error. Since the optimization I mentioned earlier is a “best effort” attempt, if there is an error with the delete it will just ignore it and move on.

Hi @Tony ,

I don’t understand why Odrive is taking so much time like this to complete uploading my “1-PROJECT” folder, which Google Drive did, if I am not mistaken, in just a week or with 1 or 2 days more.

I have been waiting for Odrive to finish uploading the “1-PROJECT” folder so that I can delete the one Google Drive app uploaded in “My Laptop” folder instead of “My Drive” where Odrive is uploading.

However, it has been taking so much time in my opinion and that is not to talk of inability to use the computer at all for any other thing. I have had to be using another small computer for my other activities.

Is it because I have down-grounded to a FREE plan and not using UNLIMITED bandwidth throttling?

I stopped using Google Drive app when my computer became totally unusable with slowness, along with some other strange behaviours, and then rolled back to Odrive after uninstalling Google Drive.

That was when my knowledge of Odrive usage increases a little more, which made me uninstall Dropbox and OneDrive in addition.

Despite all these, and in a nutshell, I have been contemplating of trying Google Drive app again for my upload as I am not sure if I could be patient for this Odrive slowness again except if upgrading Odrive may rectify the situations.

Hi @awoobforknowledge,
I would need to take a look at a diagnostic to see if there is anything unexpected going on.

Have you been looking at the sync activity log?

I just sent the diagnostic.

I have only been looking at the files being synced, with the changes in the percentages values taking for ever.

To even open Windows explorer after Odrive has been syncing for a while is an issue. It is taking a lot of time before the windows explorer opens. I have had to short down the computer like 2 times and start again when everything seem to get hanged, while trying to do one thing or the other.

Even the diagnostic that I just send, when I clicked “send diagnostic” it took not less than 5 minutes before the diagnostic windows popup, before I was able to click send.

Hi @awoobforknowledge,
Looking at the diagnostic and sync activity log, I am seeing numerous “Data error (cyclic redundancy check)” errors from Windows.

This usually indicates that there’s a problem with a file or device and the affected data on your device or storage medium has become damaged or corrupt. This can happen when there are bad sectors on a hard drive, for example, or the drive is failing in some other way.

In particular, there seem to be 4 files that are constantly showing this error:

• D:/odrive/Google Drive-AwoobForKnowledge/1-PROJECTS/KOTOBEE/MP4ES/Android/MP4ES AMAZON ANDROID/MP4ES Amazon Paid Version/MP4ES AMAZON APK-AAB PRO/Muslim-Prayers-for-Everyday-Success-Amazon-Android-Pro-v1.0.5-16-12-2022.apk
  • D:/odrive/Google Drive-AwoobForKnowledge/1-PROJECTS/KOTOBEE/MP4ES/Android/MP4ES AMAZON ANDROID/MP4ES Amazon Free Version/mp4es-app-free-azon/epub/EPUB/imgs/mp4es-cover-image.jpg
  • D:/odrive/Google Drive-AwoobForKnowledge/1-PROJECTS/KOTOBEE/MP4ES/Android/MP4ES AMAZON ANDROID/MP4ES Amazon Paid Version/mp4es-app-free-version-azon/epub/EPUB/js/kotobeeInteractive3D.js
  • D:/odrive/Google Drive-AwoobForKnowledge/1-PROJECTS/KOTOBEE/MP4ES/Android/MP4ES AMAZON ANDROID/MP4ES Amazon Free Version/mp4es-app-free-azon/epub/EPUB/imgs/share-the-free-app.png

Next Steps:
You should run some diagnostic utilities on your D: drive, right away. For example: chkdsk.

If your drive is having issues, that could definitely explain the sluggishness you are expecting.

• What does the Task Manager show for CPU and memory utilization for odrive?

• As a reminder, you can find the sync activity log in the odrive tray menu. It shows exactly what odrive has done and is currently doing.
    sync activity log

I had run the CHKDSK /R.

After different efforts here and there, I think at this point - because a lot of time has gone and I am being heavily distracted, and the upload still seem slow for me - I may need to permanently delete the “1-PROJECT” folder in the Google Drive so that I can have space to download the other folders from Amazon and then upload them to Google Drive.

A Quick Question: Is there a way that Odrive can access the Google Drive’s “Other Computers” folder also, instead of the “My Drive” folder only?

It is now more clearer to me that Odrive is more reliable for uploading one’s files than majority of these cloud apps, if not all of them.

I didn’t know that I was just deceiving myself that Google Drive app was able to finish the upload in a week, not knowing that it just ignored the files that Odrive gave reports of “cyclic redundancy check” for.

I couldn’t see those files in the Google Drive app uploads and I was thinking everything has been uploaded, not knowing that I was wrong.

I am now downloading the files with the "“cyclic redundancy check” reports from Amazon and then copying them into their respective folders manually.

I think I may have to reset my computer after deleting those files with the "“cyclic redundancy check” reports as much as possible.

Hi @awoobforknowledge,

Just be careful with anything you delete locally, as it could sync back to Google (unless that is what you want).

I haven’t tried it recently, but this used to work:

Keep in mind that CRC errors can also indicate larger issues with the hard drive, like it is failing. It looks like you ran chkdsk with the option to find bad sectors. That probably took quite a while. Did it find and correct some issues?

I am not deleting the folder again after realizing that the Google Drive app upload alternative didn’t sync some files.

Odrive has marked my “1-PROJECT” with the blue mark has having been fully synced but whenever I tried to Unsync the folder, it was saying some files/a folder are/is not in sync.

I checked the folder, everything is synced but Odrive was complaining it is not in sync.

Hi @awoobforknowledge,
Can you send a diagnostic so I can take a look?

What does the sync activity log show?