Is odrive premium worth the money

Is odrive premium worth the money

1 Like

Hi @davidm82,
That is really for you to decide, based on your particular needs and use cases. That is why we offer a 7 day trial and an have a no-questions-asked, full refund policy if you cancel your Premium subscription within 30 days of purchase.

We feel that Premium is a fantastic value. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Tony may be right. For me, meanwhile it’s clear, this software is no more an option.

1. Data loss because upload has made errors and user delete a file that I thought would have been uploaded
  2. sync with subfolders does not work at all
  3. sync regularly stops
  4. unsync does not work always

In summary, I have to delete this software, I see no way out of this.
I think everyone who wants to have a fully working solution, should take a different software.

Before we now discuss about support, I would say, odrive should first correct the program errors. That would solve a lot of problems. As long as this does not happen, it’s not worth a cent. Programs with errors are enough out there on the market. And they are free.

Worth the money? I regret that I bought a yearly sub and cannot recommend to do it.

Thanks for the feedback @erik.hoffmann,

The areas you cited are ones that we are spending a great deal of time on refining. Creating a universal sync engine that works extremely well with all integrations and all users is pretty tough. Some integrations have proven to be quite challenging to work through their quirks and behavior and some users have some pretty demanding use cases. We also know that we currently have big gaps in our user feedback. We are working very hard (literally around the clock) on trying to provide the best possible experience for all integrations and our next major release will be bringing some great advancements in these areas.

1. Some integrations can be pretty restrictive in what they allow to be uploaded. OneDrive for Business, which I know you have a few accounts on, is probably the worst in this case. This means you can end up with files in “not allowed” that will never upload until a particular condition is corrected (illegal character or path length, for example). When a file is in a not allowed state, it can be difficult to notice if you are not looking for it.

Our badging on folders can cause some confusion, especially when there are items in both a synced and unsynced state. Generally speaking, if there are files that have yet to be uploaded in a structure, you should not see a checkmark on the file or the folders containing that file, but this requires taking a close look at the badging on items.

Our next major version is going to tweak the UI to make things more apparent and easily identifiable, especially if there are still items that have yet to sync or are having problems syncing. Additionally, if a particular service is having issues, it will be easer to identify so that a user can take corrective action.

1. Recursive sync should be working, in general, but this is another area where integration-specific exceptions can cause some frustrating behavior.

The gist is that the storage service is throwing errors that stop the recursive download process and require it to be kicked off again. Amazon Drive and OneDrive for Business tend to hit this behavior more than others, but all integrations can. The larger the amount of data/structure to be downloaded, the more likely you are to hit some sort of error that stops the download processing. Kicking off the recursive sync again will allow it to continue, but for some users it can error out again, quickly, and that can be pretty frustrating.

In this case, again, our next major version will improve this behavior significantly. It will better deal with these exceptions and be much more tolerant of transient issues, allowing the user’s bulk download command to continue on, despite exceptions from the linked service.

1. I think this is similar to #2 and probably #1, where storage service exceptions can cause halting of sync processes. We are working very hard on improving odrive resilience to those exceptions. Additionally, general sync behavior will be more robust and predictable, despite integration quirks.

2. I think you may be referring to the warning messages you get about files not yet synced when trying to unsync a structure. That behavior can be triggered by the items in #1, #2, and #3 and basically boils down to issues trying to upload certain files that odrive isn’t able to resolve on its own. As stated in #1, there are currently user feedback gaps when upload issues are encountered, and it ends up not being easy for the user to find, identify and then correct these. This will be a lot better in the next major version, as stated in the items above.

Everyone is different, so the degree to which these issues can be encountered will vary drastically depending on the integrations linked, the data you are working with, and the use cases involved. Lots of people use odrive without any issues, whereas others may hit some of these issues enough to cause some serious frustration, especially if using an integration that is on the more “quirky” side, like OD4B. This is why we offer the 30 day full refund on top of the 7 day trial, so that users can have a lot of time to see if odrive is the right fit for them.

We definitely understand all of this and we really want everyone’s experience to be a great one, regardless of use case or link type. We are making great strides on combatting all of the above cases in our current development, which we are trying to get out as soon as possible.

3 Likes

Tony,
In your response #1 for erik.hoffmann you mentioned path length for MS OneDrive. Can you tell us what the upper limit is for OneDrive paths? (I have a few errors that might be caused by loooonng file names.)
Thx.

Hi @wpf848,
Here is a couple pages listing many of the restrictions.

They vary depending on the backend. OneDrive for Business is actually an interface on top of a bunch of different backends, which is probably one of the reasons why it is so quirky. I have actually seen that there is some odd behavior that is not listed, as well. Like this behavior:

I generally say that you should try to adhere to the most restrictive set they list, just to be safe. This means you should try to keep the overall path length below 250 chars and a single file name under 128 chars. I have seen some instances, however, where there were problems with paths even less that that…

2 Likes

Tony,
Excellent info. THANK YOU!
This is the way tech support should work … enough info so the user can go fix it him/herself. Once. Right. The first time.
Ward

3 Likes

@davidm82 I’ve been using odrive premium for about a year now, currently have premium accounts for my wife and I, and have recommended it to many others. I’m currently working on getting my workplace to consider it. In my opinion, odrive plus amazon cloud drive solution is by far the best solution available today! So, YES!

2 Likes

When is the new release or patch that I have read on numerous threads that are to fix a lot of the issues I am currently having with the program. I like the concept and would consider paying for the additional features now that i am using it on a laptop where i do not have enough storage to keep everything, but i would like to test it out with the features fixed first.

1 Like

Hi @blharveymi,
The next major release is still several weeks out, but it is our #1 priority and we are working night and day to get it out as quickly as possible.

2 Likes

For me, these things make odrive worth the money:

1. Selective unsync
  2. Auto unsync
  3. Custom sync
  4. ENCRYPTION
3 Likes