I need help because I don’t now how to fix this problem. This message "“Can’t sync - No permission” appears when I try to Sync any folder with Odrive.
This message appears only in my PC. The same thing don’t happen when I use the Odrive in my notebook.
Help me, please!
Can you trigger this error again and then send a diagnostic from the odrive menu?
This happens on all of the folders in odrive, including the ones that currently show checkmarks next to them?
Ok! I send a diagnostics.
Yes! It’s happening on all of the folders in odrive, including the ones that currently show checkmarks.
The Odrive was ok when I installed the software and used it for the first time on my PC. This problem only appears after I switch of my PC and connect again.
This checkmarks appears because I used right after the installation. But, after I switch of my PC and connect again, I can’t Sync anything.
I tried to unninstall and reninstall again, but the same problem happens. It’s ok only right after the installation.
I took a look and the error is coming from Windows. Basically Windows is not allowing odrive to write to that folder/drive and returning an “Access Denied” error.
Can you tell me what type of drive this is on? Is this an internal drive, or external/networked drive?
Are there any special permissions you have applied to the folder/drive?
Could there be a permission that is blocking writes to that location?
I have a SSD and a HD. The Windows is on the SSD, and the Odrive on the HD.
I don’t know how to explain about any special permissions.
I tried to install as administrator to check about any permissions too, but It didn’t solve the problem.
Can you tell me where I need to look on the Windows to check about this permissions? I don’t understand very much about it.
The “Backup and Sync” from Google Drive is on the HD too, but It is ok, without any problem.
Can you take a screenshot of what you see when you right-click on the
E:\Odrive folder and select properties->security->advanced?
One thing we can try to see if it might be something strange with the
E:\Odrive folder is to deauthorize and the login again to start fresh. To do this perform the following steps:
- Open the odrive menu and select
Authorized User ->
- Confirm that you want to deauthorize
- Log back in to odrive by following the “Welcome” screen.
This will reset the odrive settings and create a new odrive folder in C:\odrive.
- Now you can select
Move odrive folder from the odrive menu and select E:\ as the destination.
This will create a new
E:\odrive folder. See if odrive is allowed to sync folders.
Sorry! I´m back after a vacation.
The problem continues even after I have done the indicated steps.
Let’s try to change the owner of the folder to you instead of Administrators:
- Right click on the odrive folder and select properties->security->advanced
- For the “Owner” section (
Proprietario in the screenshot) select “Change” (
Alterar in the screenshot above)
- Now click on “Advanced”
- Then click on “Find Now”
- Find your user name and click OK.
- Click OK again
- You should be back at the Advanced security settings screen, like in your screenshot.
- You should be listed in the “Owner” (
Proprietario) section and there should be a checkbox under that asks if you want to replace the owner on the subfolders and files. Check this box and then click on “Apply” (
- Click OK
This will change the owner of the folder to you and should hopefully provide the permissions we need.
It’s ok now! I can use the odrive. Thank you!
Great! Thanks for the follow-up.