Downloaded file has different filesize from orginal in the cloud - onedrive

Hi there,
I have my whole collection of pictures on onedrive and of course I am using odrive to manage it.
I recently realized that sometimes files downloaded - synchronized - with odrive are not exact as on server.
While for picture files I can easily recognize it i.e. by using Adobe Bridge or any other photo editing software, for binary files it is not as easy and I lend to only know that I have to download file manually from the cloud using web interface.
I think this is the most important target of odrive: both local and cloud files should be THE SAME. But they are (sometimes).
I am willing to share any debug info if needed but please consider this as important - at least for me it is.
See below file downloaded/synchronized by odrive:

mbp13TBpapio:30 papio$ pwd
/Users/papio/odrive/OneDrive Pawel/0-albums/0-pictures/tanzania/2013/11-Nov/30
mbp13TBpapio:30 papio$ ls -la DSCF2012.RAF
-rw-r–r-- 1 papio staff 12428053 Nov 16 20:22 DSCF2012.RAF

and its status in Finder:

And here by downloading from the cloud using web interface (onedrive):

mbp13TBpapio:Downloads papio$ pwd
/Users/papio/Downloads
mbp13TBpapio:Downloads papio$ ls -la DSCF2012.RAF
-rw-r–r--@ 1 papio staff 19986704 Apr 23 17:18 DSCF2012.RAF

Thank you

Hi @homonto,
Thanks for the report. This is something I don’t think I’ve seen before.

Is this reproducible, or does it seem to be random?

If you are able to reproduce it, can you do so and then send a diagnostic from the odrive menu? When you send the diagnostic, can you also please provide:

• the file name and path
  • the size as it is when downloaded from the web client
  • the size as it is after downloading from the desktop client

Do you have any anti-virus, anti-malware, or other active-scanning software that might be running on your system?

Hi Tony,
when I synchronized over 10 000 files from cloud to my macbook it happened for few files - I cannot say which files exactly but those pictures, that cannot be shown by Adobe I can easily find.
Such files were on cloud around 19MB while these synchronized by odrvie client (macos, 6352) were usually 12-15MB.
How did I solve it? Unsync file/ synch file was the solution.
But when I saw the status of the folder it was in state “blue” - synced. Sync folder was not helping at all as it was not doing anything. Apparently unsync/sync folder was not an option for me due to too many files in the folder.
When I find such issue again I will collect the debug data but please drive me what exactly I should do.
The file size of such example is in my initial post: file in Download folder is downloaded from web (case 2- 19MB) while file on top is synced via odrive client (case 1 - 12MB).

In case file is not a picture I have no way to checking it until I use such file (i.e. exe file or dmg).

If the folder is in status “blue” but files are not 100% of what is on the cloud then odrive is not reliable at all, right?

Hi @homonto,
odrive pretty much just trusts what it is told by the storage provider, since the storage provider ultimately has full knowledge of what you have stored. odrive won’t consider a file synced unless it is able to download a file without any exceptions.

I have asked the Engineering team to take a look at what additional safeguards/extra checks could be put in place if the service providers ends up sending a file that is not the size it should be.

Please let me know if you see this again. If you are able to reproduce it send a diagnostic from the odrive menu and provide the following information:

• the file name and path
  • the size as it is when downloaded from the web client
  • the size as it is after downloading from the desktop client

Hi Tony,
another file that is:
1- blue
2-downloaded using odrive client: 18 849 148 bytes (18,9 MB on disk)
3-downloaded using web: 19 917 152 bytes (19,9 MB on disk)
so apparently file is not usable once downloaded using odrive client
the file name is: DSCF7987.RAF
and the full path on mac is:
“/Users/papio/odrive/OneDrive Pawel/0-albums/0-pictures/iran/2013/04-Apr/11-12 Damavand C3”

next one I found:
on cloud: 19MB:

synced on macbook: 182kB

something is not ok ;-(

Thanks @homonto,
I am investigating.

I ran a test with about 50K file downloads yesterday, and didn’t see an instance of this, but I am looking to see where we can add a safeguard, in the event that this does happen for some reason.

I will get back to you when I have more info.

the file from “/Users/papio/odrive/OneDrive Pawel/0-albums/0-pictures/iran/2013/04-Apr/11-12 Damavand C3” was downloaded by odrive gui client

but the last one: DSCF7888.RAF was downloaded by running script (from you):

exec 6>&1;num_procs=5;output=“go”; while [ “$output” ]; do output=$(find “odrive/OneDrive Pawel/0-albums/0-pictures/polska/” -name “.cloud” -print0 | xargs -0 -n 1 -P $num_procs python $(ls -d “$HOME/.odrive/bin/”*/ | tail -1)odrive.py sync | tee /dev/fd/6); done

Hi @homonto,
Please try this version: https://www.odrive.com/s/541f9c7a-ea63-4feb-bc43-09b04f65ea94-5ae3a2af

It adds an additional, final check on the local file after it has finished downloading. If the local file size does not match the remote file size, and error should be seen and the file will remain a placeholder.

Thank you Tony, testing. I will let you know.

Hi @Tony,

I have used your new build - 6374 - to download around 40GB from cloud using the script (with python) and so far there is no difference in all the file size for all 5000+ file downloaded.
I hope this will continue.
I still have plenty of GB to process so in case of anything I will inform you.
Thank you.

1 Like

Great! Thanks for the update @homonto.

my pleasure, I have a premium account with you and I am willing to be a beta tester if you wish - I use it mainly on my macbooks but also on my android phone so let me know if there is anything to test
and I am using onedrive (in 99% as I have 5x 1TB there with office home) and occasionally a google drive

1 Like