Do I need Premium to sync files on an on-going basis?

I don’t fully understand the sync limitations in the free version.

Hi,
You do not need Premium for automatic syncing. To clarify further, even with the free version of odrive, any time you add or modify a file in your local odrive folder, odrive will try to push that change up to the relevant linked storage automatically.

1 Like

@neel Are you just asking for clarification, or are you currently experiencing a problem? I just want to make sure you’re getting technical assistance if you need it.

-Jeff

P.S. Syncing within your odrive folder, which is by far the most common use case, is definitely free.

Using the right-click option to set up a Sync relationship on a folder outside of your main odrive folder (which allows you to leave the folder in place rather than moving it into the odrive folder) is a Premium feature. If you lose Premium capabilities somehow (e.g. your free new user trial ends), sync on these folders outside of your main odrive folder may no longer work. But if you don’t need to leave the folder in place, then you could just operate out of the main odrive folder where sync should definitely be working.

1 Like

Hi Jeff,
I was experiencing a problem but it’s been resolved. However, I still am not sure I understand the syncing abilities between the versions. If I lose premium, what can I no longer do? What do you mean by “sync on these folders outside of your main odrive folder may no longer work”?
Thanks
neel

This site does list what comes with free vs the paid premium option. I am sure Jeff and Tony could weigh in with a more thorough summary if that is not enough. https://www.odrive.com/upgrade

1 Like

Most users start using odrive by linking their storage and then accessing the linked storage through the “odrive” folder in your user’s home directory (either ~/odrive on Mac or something like C:\Users<My User>\odrive on Windows).

So let’s say your Windows user name is Neel and you have linked your Google Drive folder and are using sync on Windows. If you go to C:\Users\Neel\odrive\Google Drive\ to access the files on your Google Drive account, then the free version of our product should work for you fine. (This is what I meant by “operating out of your odrive folder”).

Let’s say you have advanced needs. You have an application running that spits out reports to the C:\Reports\ folder which you want to sync with the “Reports” folder within Google Drive. You could, from time to time, manually move files from C:\Reports\ into your C:\Users\Neel\odrive\Google Drive\Reports\ folder to get these files up to Google Drive. The free version of the product will continue to work fine for that. But if you wanted to leave those report files in place and just tell odrive to sync C:\Reports directly into your “Reports” folder on Google Drive, then you would use the Premium feature for that (you can right-click on C:\Reports and select “Sync to odrive” which will let you choose the remote Google Drive folder you want to sync C:\Reports\ with). This is setting up a sync relationship outside of the odrive folder.

Most people are fine working out of the odrive folder (e.g. C:\Users\Neel\odrive) directly so free sync is just fine. Others choose to upgrade to Premium so they can do more powerful things such as setting up direct sync relationships outside of the odrive folder.

Does that explanation help?

-Jeff

1 Like