Can't Unsync on Mac - No Permission

Yes I was able to delete the file from Finder.

Where is the odrive trash?

It will show up in there. Since this is on an external drive it may be slower to pick up the changes (the OS may not be telling us something changed). You can coax it along by right-click->Refresh on the containing folder (/Volumes/Data/Libre/Libre’s Cloud/4 STAR DISTRUBTION/Axion/).

Okay. So what now? The bummer is our server is full and we need to unsync these files to free up space.

Did it show up in the trash after a refresh? If not, can you send another diagnostic. If so, were you able to restore it?

Yeah I was able to restore it. We are all good with that. I was talking about unsyncing all of these files.

Thanks!

If your need is urgent, you can do the same at the directory-level too. The hesitation would be that you want to make sure everything is synced before deleting. Unsync will check to make sure everything is in sync before removing the local data. When you delete you are bypassing that check.

I need to discuss with the team why unsync is not working on your system properly, today.

Can you send one more diagnostic before you proceed further?

Thanks!

Just sent the diagnostic. Thanks!

So what do you think this means? When I click on odrive and open odrive folder, it shows the folder I am trying to unsync is unsynced. But when I go to the external drive the files are still there with a blue check mark.

Since it is using the “sync to odrive” feature, it is possible to see it in two places: the original location you have mapped to the remote odrive location, and the remote odrive location representation inside the odrive folder.

It can be a bit confusing to look at it in both locations, which is why it is an advanced feature :slight_smile:

Just discussing this with the team some more. If you are up for it, I would like to run a few more tests before you wipe everything out. If that will work for you, let me know.

Yeah that works for me. If it’s easier I can call you.

Okay here are the additional things to test/try:

1. Since you have deleted and restored AXION_logos.ai: If you sync it again, so it is local, are you able to unsync it now? If unsync works:
    a. please sync it down a second time and let’s pull the perms and ACLs from it to look at it.

ls -aleO “/Volumes/Data/Libre/Libre’s Cloud/4 STAR DISTRUBTION/Axion/AXION_logos.ai”

2.If unsync in 1. didn’t work, then create a new file called “testing.txt” in /Volumes/Data/Libre/Libre’s Cloud/4 STAR DISTRUBTION/Axion/, let it sync, then let’s pull the permissions off of it:

ls -aleO “/Volumes/Data/Libre/Libre’s Cloud/4 STAR DISTRUBTION/Axion/testing.txt”

3.Let’s check the details of the odrive processes:

ps aux | grep -i odrive

4.For a file that cannot be unsynced, make a copy of it somewhere (as a backup), and then delete it remotely from the odrive web app (https://www.odrive.com). What we are testing here is that a remote delete can be reflected properly on your local machine and isn’t hitting the same permission issue. After deleting remotely, perform a right-click->refresh on the folder that contains that file to see if it is deleted.

5.Send another diagnostic

Thanks!

I was able to unsync it.

server:~ jordan$ ls -aleO “/Volumes/Data/Libre/Libre’s Cloud/4 STAR DISTRUBTION/Axion/AXION_logos.ai”
-rw-r–r–+ 1 jordan staff - 1070499 Mar 28 2012 /Volumes/Data/Libre/Libre’s Cloud/4 STAR DISTRUBTION/Axion/AXION_logos.ai
0: user:_spotlight inherited allow read,execute
1: group:libredesignagency inherited allow read,write,execute,append,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity

server:~ jordan$ ps aux | grep -i odrive
jordan 703 7.9 1.8 2751156 148548 ?? S 9:06AM 21:10.42 /Users/jordan/.odrive/bin/5246/odriveapp.app/Contents/MacOS/odriveapp
jordan 4790 0.9 0.0 2434840 788 s000 S+ 12:26PM 0:00.00 grep -i odrive
jordan 722 0.0 0.3 2666380 22620 ?? S 9:06AM 0:26.29 /Users/jordan/.odrive/bin/5246/odriveapp.app/Contents/MacOS/odrive.app/Contents/MacOS/odrive
jordan 721 0.0 0.6 2630532 49160 ?? Ss 9:06AM 1:27.08 /Users/jordan/.odrive/bin/5246/odriveapp.app/Contents/PlugIns/FinderSyncExtension.appex/Contents/MacOS/FinderSyncExtension
jordan 701 0.0 0.2 2584472 18452 ?? S 9:06AM 0:06.04 /Users/jordan/.odrive/bin/5246/odriveapp.app/Contents/MacOS/odriveapp

Just sent another diagnostic.

Were you able to try step 4.?

Never mind. I am able to reproduce this now.

We figured out the root cause, which has to do with ownership of the files and folders. A workaround that I have tested is to add ACLs for you that are applied to all files and folders on the drive. I would recommend starting with a small directory you want to unsync, just to make sure it works the way we expect.

The command you will run is:

sudo chmod -R +a “$(whoami) allow read,write,delete,readattr,writeattr,readsecurity,writesecurity” “path/to/folder”

If we were going to try this on a test folder, we could send the following command:

sudo chmod -R +a “$(whoami) allow read,write,delete,readattr,writeattr,readsecurity,writesecurity” “/Volumes/Data/Libre/Libre’s Cloud/4 STAR DISTRUBTION/Axion”

Please let me know if you have any questions on the above.

Thanks!

Amazing! Looks like it worked. Thanks!

1 Like