Amazon uploads stuck

Repeated uploading is a common issue with large file uploads to Amazon Drive. I think I see the file you are talking about and Amazon Drive issued a 504 (Gateway timeout) exception on it after uploading. This indicates that Amazon had some issue when processing the file on their side and then returned an error to us that the upload had failed because of it. I typically see either a 504 or a 408 error from Amazon Drive on these large uploads.

Here is another post from a thread where the same thing is seen:
https://forum.odrive.com/t/amazon-drive-sync-to-98-repeat/1798/4

We are going to try to combat this as much as possible in future revs, but there are limits to what we can do when Amazon is the one producing the errors. I think if Amazon Drive was to release an upload resume API, that would also help tremendously.

1 Like

Well that’s very helpful to know. Thank you.
So I stopped the transfer and a short while later logged onto the amazon drive iOS app to discover the file is there. I therefore checked back in odrive to discover it actually had the blue tick next to it. I was also able to unsync it. Curious.

What seems to happen is that Amazon throws the upload error, but ends up processing the file, eventually. odrive will query Amazon for the file before starting the upload again, but if the file hasn’t “registered” yet then the file is not found and odrive will re-attempt the upload. If this happens multiple times then you will get this recurring upload cycle…

When you stop upload for a bit, the file can magically “show up” and then all is well. It ends up being a timing issue, though there doesn’t seem to be a predictable delay, at least that I have been able to figure out.

1 Like

Unfortunately I had the same issue reoccur but with a smaller, albeit still large, file. This time, a miracle hasn’t happened. I can only but hope amazon develop the API to further needs. I’m sure they will eventually. Thank you for your time.

Thanks for your understanding @aspin002. We are investigating ways to work around these behaviors, as well.

1 Like

Sorry to drag it up again but it’s happening frequently this past week with numerous file upon file ceasing completion of upload just as it is meant to. I’ll send you a diagnostic report, if you wouldn’t mind just checking. Thank you.

Hi @aspin002,
I see a few errors:

• Rate limit
  • Network exception (similar to the previous errors seen)
  • Generic Amazon internal server error

All should be transient errors, so odrive will retry the upload.

Sorry for tardy reply. Thank you for your observations. I do find that particular files can be stubborn for some reason or another. Also, it can happen upon a fresh restart of the Mac… once it has been operating a while, things seem to balance out.

1 Like