What is up with "Trash"?

odrive (in my Mac’s menubar) tells me there are nearly 6,000 items in my “Trash” and this keeps growing.

Yet on the Amazon Cloud website there were only 300 or so items in Trash. I restored them all, so now it’s empty, yet odrive still shows 6,000 items. (And seems like all or nearly all of the restored items were duplicates of items which already existed.)

Where are all these “Trash” items? I’m afraid to delete them because I have no idea what’s in there, beyond the 50 or so items I can see from my menubar.

It almost seems as if every time I rename/move a file, a copy gets put in Trash, which is highly annoying.

Hi,
It is difficult to say what those items must be without seeing it. You mentioned you were moving things around. Can you tell me a little bit more about that? Specifically what are you moving and where from and where to?

Can you also submit a diagnostic so I can take a look. You can find the option in the odrive tray menu.

Thanks!

Basic file moves … renaming some photos, moving into folders based on dates… all within the Pictures folder all within Amazon.

Sending diag now…

Thanks

Something to keep in mind, the odrive trash list is not the same thing as amazon’s trash. The odrive trash contains files you deleted on your machine. The trash files are not deleted from ACD until you choose to empty trash.

So where are the files living??

What @peter was just clarifying that odrive has an odrive specific trash that will hold off on committing any local deletes to the cloud until the odrive trash is emptied. After this the items will appear in the cloud service’s trash, if they support that (Amazon Cloud Drive does). In this way you have a an additional safeguard against accidental deletion.

We are investigating your issue, which appears to be a case of errant move tracking optimization.

See, Watson, I told you it was a case of EMTO!

But I’m still confused … where exactly are all the files in odrive’s Trash? Are they still on my computer? Do they exist somewhere on ACD? (They must, since you’re saying the ‘delete’ commands haven’t been issued. So where?)

And is there any way to restore them all?

Hi,
So we’ve identified the issue and we are working on a solution. In the meantime can you clarify a couple of things for me?

When looking directly on Amazon Cloud Drive’s web app (or odrive’s), do you still see those files in the original location (the place you moved the files from)? When you perform a local delete, the local files are deleted from your computer, but the delete command is not sent to the cloud. If you choose to restore something from the odrive trash, it will locally “bring back” the file in the form of a placeholder.

A good way to back out the deletes is to unsync the directory where those files were “deleted” from. That will restore them as placeholders. Let me know if you have any questions about this, or if you do not have the unsync ability.

I can’t really say … because I don’t know for sure where they were originally. Many are probably duplicates, because I did a big de-duplication. So I wouldn’t know if they are “still there” or they are duplicates which I really meant to delete.

So are you saying that all files in the odrive trash should theoretically still be there when I browse my files on the ACD webapp? And that when I empty the odrive trash they should then move to the ACD trash in the webapp?

What would really help me figure this out is if there were a way to MOVE all the odrive trash files into an arbitrary folder, then I could check them.

Hi,
We fixed this issue, but there is not a way to retroactively address it, automatically, after it has occurred. The safest way for you to proceed is the following:

1. Download the latest odrive version. https://www.odrive.com/download and install
  2. Right-click unsync the top-level directory of where you were making these changes. This will nullify the existing trash items.
  3. Re-expand the folders you were working in. For the files that were identified as deletes instead of moves, you will see them again in their original locations.
  4. If you move those placeholder files back into the locations that you originally tried to move them everything should resolve out and give you the result you were originally looking for. Keep in mind that many of the files probably made it to their intended location, but as new files instead of moves. This means when you move the files again, you may be told that the file already exists. That is fine, you can just overwrite the file, which will result in a deduplication of the data, removing it from the original location (it will enter the odrive trash at this point) and keeping it in the intended destination.
  5. When all is said and done, you will have all of the duplicated files in the odrive trash, everything should be safely reorganized, and you can empty the odrive trash.

I know this requires a bit of leg work, and I apologize for the inconvenience. The good news is that we identified and fixed the issue, so thanks, again, for bringing it to our attention.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

But if I unsync the top directory won’t that delete all the local copies of all those files? We’re talking about the “Pictures” folder in my ACD, which is nearly 100 GB. That makes me nervous.

Yes, the local copies would be removed. It will not remove any remote content unless you empty the trash, which is why I want to do it this way so we can make sure only the duplicate data ends up in the trash and then deleted.

Are you concerned with having to download those files again, or just that the data will be unsynced? If you prefer, for peace of mind, you can move the files out to another folder and then unsync.

But if I “move the files out” then won’t that trigger odrive to tell ACD to start moving everything to the ACD trash? I.e., as if they were deleted?

Since you will be moving the files out of the odrive folder scope, they will be recorded as deleted, which will also go into the odrive trash. No deletes are committed until you empty the trash, so nothing will be touched on ACD in this case.

Just to be clear, the odrive trash has no correspondence to the ACD trash. odrive trash is purely a local construct that holds any deletes you have made locally and prevents them from touching the cloud until you decide that you want to commit those deletes by emptying the odrive trash. If you empty the odrive trash, those deletes will be sent to ACD and then ACD will put them into the ACD trash. It is a double-layer of protection.

OK. I see.

So what are the steps, given that I want to keep my local copy?

1. Install latest odrive
  2. Move everything within ‘Pictures’ to a holding folder outside of odrive folder – including all the .cloud and .cloudf files?
  3. Unsync ‘Pictures’ – even though it’s now empty?
  4. Move everything back?
  5. Re-Sync ‘Pictures’?

Here are updated steps.

1. Download the latest odrive version. https://www.odrive.com/download and install
  2. Move your Pictures folder to a location outside of the odrive folder.
  3. Right-click unsync the top-level directory of where you were making these changes. This will nullify the existing trash items.
  4. Re-expand the folders you were working in. For the files that were identified as deletes instead of moves, you will see them again in their original locations.
  5. Move your Pictures folder back into odrive, merging with the current Pictures folder in there. I would suggest doing a subdirectory first, just to observe the behavior. Anything that is local should just be marked as synced after odrive processes the new files.
  6. At this point you should be all in sync, have your local files back where they were, and the odrive trash will be empty of anything in Pictures. Now you can reorganize whatever was undone/duplicated from your previous move attempts. When you move those files back into the locations that you originally tried to move them everything should resolve out and give you the result you were originally looking for. Keep in mind that many of the files probably made it to their intended location, but as new files instead of moves. This means when you move the files again, you may be told that the file already exists. That is fine, you can just overwrite the file, which will result in a deduplication of the data, removing it from the original location (it will enter the odrive trash at this point) and keeping it in the intended destination.
  7. When all is said and done, you will have all of the duplicated files in the odrive trash (and only them), everything should be safely reorganized, and you can empty the odrive trash.

Let me know if you have any questions on the above.

Thanks!