Use CLI to check for remote changes?

Is there a fast way to use the CLI to check for remote changes in complex/deep file structures (or better yet, generate .cloudf placeholders locally)? Recursively using refresh on every directory takes forever.

Just trialling odrive ATM, so am probably missing some of the obvious.

Hi @steveofbrisbane,
odrive will automatically check from remote changes. The interval and efficiency of these checks depends on the type of storage that is linked.

The popular cloud storage services, like Google Drive and Amazon Drive, have APIs available that will give us the changes since we last asked. This speeds up the process significantly and we can use a fairly short interval for requesting changes. Other sources, like SFTP or FTP, do not have this type of feature, so the remote location needs to be periodically scanned in its entirety. Since a full scan can be very heavy, it uses a longer interval. There isn’t a way to speed make the process lighter if the remote storage source doesn’t support change requests.

I’m testing this with OneDrive and Dropbox. Do I have to recursively refresh every folder to check for remote changes (which takes hours), or can I just refresh the root directory and .cloudf files will be added to the sub-directories? The speed of checking remote changes isn’t an issue with the Win and OSX desktop clients, so I’m wondering what I’m doing wrong with the Linux CLI. I’m using the wrong commands perhaps (refresh to bring up the .cloudf file indicating a remote change in a directory, then sync to sync it locally)?

Hi @steveofbrisbane,
Both OneDrive and Dropbox should be showing changes pretty quickly, as we are asking them for changes often. This should not require any manual work from you. If you are actively syncing files, it could delay reflection, but when idle I would expect the remote changes to be picked up within 30 seconds.

So, for example, if have a OneDrive\A\ folder synced locally and you add a file (B.txt) to OneDrive\A\ remotely, you should see OneDrive\A\B.txt.cloud show up pretty quickly.

Are you not seeing this?