Unencrypt Files

I have an odrive2 folder on Wasabi where I am syncing files from my drives. When I look at the files with expanDrive, they look encrypted. The file names are gibberish. I’d like to be able to look at my odrive files with other products. Is there a way to unencrypt these files? Is there a setting that would fix this?

I have premium. I am in my first month.

Hi @brendhangivens,
It sounds like you may be using the “Enhanced” link option instead of simple ‘/’ delimited for your Wasabi bucket.

Enhanced provides better performance, but simple allows you to use other applications with the data. It sounds like you will want to re-link (or create a new, parallel link) using “simple”, instead. Keep in mind that the data you have already saved to Wasabi will still be in the enhanced format, so you will need to re-upload that data to see it in the new format.

Here are the relevant sections about this from the FAQ section at the bottom of the S3 link page here Make Amazon S3 Storage available to general users

What is the Enhanced odrive FS directory structure?
If you don’t have an existing storage bucket to link to yet, we highly recommend using the Enhanced odrive FS directory structure option to connect to your bucket (anyone else connecting to this S3 bucket in the future should use the same option).

You will notice improved performance, particularly on file move and rename operations. Always use odrive to access your Enhanced odrive FS bucket–your files will still technically be accessible using non-odrive applications, but the file and folder names will be encoded in such a way that it will be more difficult to browse around.

If you have an existing S3 bucket with preexisting data in it (or if you plan on accessing the bucket from applications other than odrive), use the Simple ‘/’ Delimited directory structure instead.

What is the Simple ‘/’ Delimited directory structure?
Information is stored into the storage bucket in the same way that Amazon S3 normally stores its information. By using a ‘/’ character in the file’s key, a directory structure can be simulated. That way, when you browse the bucket using the Amazon Web Services console or with a third-party app such as the S3 Browser, you see a file folder structure.

Unless you need to use the Simple ‘/’ Delimited directory structure, we recommend using the Enhanced odrive FS directory structure option whenever possible for best results.

Can I connect to an existing S3 storage bucket with existing content?
Yes. Please note that you will need to use the simple ‘/’ delimited directory storage option to connect.

Hi. Thanks for your excellent reply. I read this from the link:

"Information is stored into the storage bucket in the same way that Amazon S3 normally stores its information. By using a ‘/’ character in the file’s key, a directory structure can be simulated. That way, when you browse the bucket using the Amazon Web Services console or with a third-party app such as the S3 Browser, you see a file folder structure.

“Unless you need to use the Simple ‘/’ Delimited directory structure, we recommend using the Enhanced odrive FS directory structure option whenever possible for best results.”

I understand that I want the simple delimited directory structure. There is something about ‘/’ which I don’t understand. How do I get an access key ID with a ‘/’? I already have two keys defined in Wasabi, and it won’t allow for another.

It sounds like I just add a ‘/’ in anywhere to the key.

Hi @brendhangivens,
The ‘/’ is just used for the data structure, when uploads data to the bucket. S3 and S3 compatible storage is object storage, so it doesn’t really have a structure. The ‘/’ delimited mechanism simulates the standard file and folder structure you see in a normal filesystem.

To use this method you just need to select the option in the link options and use the same id/key you did before. Like this:

Gotcha. Thanks for your help!

1 Like