Unable to Sync. This file is not inside an odrive folder

Thanks for the reply. This is where I’m having the problem, then. When I double click on the file (which is what I thought I needed to do from using previous .cloud files), I get the message “Unable to Sync…This file is not inside an odrive folder.” To be clear, this file is located in a folder structure that in the default odrive folder. Everything was working until 4 days ago. Is there a solve for this message?

Thanks again.

Hi @scott3,
Can you send a diagnostic from the odrive menu so I can take a closer look? I’ll see if there is anything about the current state o configuration that stands out and may be causing the issue.

I selected the Send Diagnostics menu option. Seems it’s a background send and not something I upload? If so, what additional info will you need?

Hi @scott3,
I received the diagnostic. Can you provide an example path for the folder/files that are exhibiting this error, or is it all files and folders?

Can I send you the path in an email. I’d rather not post on a public forum.

Hi @scott3,
You can send me a direct message by clicking on my name and selecting “Message”

Hey Tony- was just able to test the scenario from your last note. I am on the free version. I made a backup of the folder, deleted it, gave it a minute for odrive to recognize the deletion, then recovered it from trash. The stub was created, but when I click on it, I get the same message: Unable to sync “filename”.cloudf. this file is not inside an odrive folder.

Hi @scott3,
Thanks for getting back on this. It sounds like the issue is higher up the structure then.

It may be best to perform an uninstall and reinstall on odrive to try to resolve this. To do this, perform the following steps:

• Uninstall odrive
  • Install odrive again and go through the setup
  • Once odrive is back up and running, make sure it is working properly and you are no longer getting the “not inside” error message.
  • Exit odrive after you verify it is now working
  • When you uninstall odrive it will rename the current default odrive folder to a backup name (odrive_backup_[date here]). You will find it in your user home folder
  • Rename the current default odrive folder to odrive-bak
  • Rename the backup folder that the uninstall created (mentioned above) back to ‘odrive’
  • Start odrive again

odrive will see the folder and process the content in it so that you don’t have to re-download everything. You should then, hopefully, be able to proceed as normal, once odrive has finished processing everything. While odrive is processing you may still see the “file is not inside an odrive folder” message. This is because it hasn’t gotten to that section in the structure yet, so it doesn’t “know” about the file/folder you are trying to sync. In this case, just give it time to complete its scanning of the folder.

Hey Tony-

Didn’t know you responded. Thanks.

Are there specific steps to uninstall ODrive from MacOS?

Scratch that. I found an older post where you laid out the steps.

So I followed your above steps and when I renamed the old directory to odrive, none of the folders of files with a .cloud extension would work–same error. However, going back to the newly installed odrive folder, folders and files started working again. I’ll work with this and see if things stick. Thanks.

1 Like

No worries @scott3! I’m sorry you didn’t see my reply until now. The forum should send out an e-mail when I respond to your thread or tag you, but maybe it got caught in spam or something.

I should’ve mentioned above that when you move the backup folder into the new odrive folder’s place, it can take a while for odrive to go through the whole structure. During that time, odrive will show the “file is not inside an odrive folder” because it hasn’t gotten to that section in the structure yet, so it doesn’t “know” about the file/folder you are trying to sync. This can definitely be confusing.

In any case, it sounds like you are fairly sorted out, but let me know if you have any questions.

Great, I was facing the same issue so searched for it, I’m glad that this was already been posted, helps me too

1 Like