Unable to sync some files to local drive

Hi,

While I’m usually able to download files with no issue, for some file I get an error:
“Unable to sync filena~1.CLO. Please use a placeholder path”

These files are available online, both from Google Drive and from ODrive, but I can’t sync them to the local drive.
Files that I add to the same local folder are getting synced with no issue.

Thanks

Hi @noam.cayron,
The filename and path look a little bit odd. I think it is using the 8.3 format. Is this file in a very deep path?

Try upgrading to our latest version, first. To do this:

1. Exit odrive from the odrive tray menu
  2. Download the latest version here: https://docs.odrive.com/docs/odrive-usage-guide
  3. Install

If the error still persists, please take a screenshot of the full error and post it. Also please provide the full path to the file

Hi Tony,
Thanks a lot for the quick answer!

I’ve reinstalled, and then uninstalled and installed the latest version, but no change.

I’m attaching the screenshot:
Screenshot 2023-09-05 153637

The path is:
F:\odrive\Google Drive HaTeomin\Lital&Noam\שדרות ירושלים 58 רמת גן\BM-996-2018-63570437.pdf.cloud

I’ve also shortened the last folder name to:
שד י-ם 58 רג
without any change in result

Hi @noam.cayron,
Thanks for those details.

I am not able to reproduce this using the same path, so something is definitely odd.

1. You mentioned you are able to sync files in this same location, does that include being able to download them? (turn them from a placeholder file to a real file)
  2. What happens when you right-click on the file and select “sync”?
  3. Is the F: drive an internal or external drive?
  4. Please send a diagnostic from the odrive tray menu (How do I send a diagnostic?)

Thanks!

Hi Tony,

After the name change, the folder itself in its entirety can no longer be synced (i.e., I cannot enter it).
I have another folder on the same level (under Noam&lital) in which files are also unable to download.

To your questions:

1. I am unable to download them. However, files I added into the folder are being uploaded.
  2. The odrive context does not appear for these files.
  3. F: is an external drive - an SD card. However, most files on it don’t have this issue, including those in a similar hierarchy (i.e. F\odrive\google\sublevel1\sublevel2\file.cloud)
  4. The diagnostic is attached:
    current_odrive_status.txt (4.7 KB)

Thanks again,
Noam

Hi @noam.cayron,
It seems like something strange may be happening with this path.

We don’t officially support having the odrive folder on an external drive, especially an SD card, so this isn’t a configuration our QA team has tested. I would expect the pathing to work the same, though, although it could be something with the way the sd card is formatted.

1. Can you tell me what the sd card is formatted as? (NTFS, FAT32, ExFAT, etc.)
  2. Are you getting the odrive right-click menu options on other files and folders, but just not this file.?If so, when do the right-click menu options stop showing-up (at what point in the path?
  3. Was this path working before?
  4. If you rename the folder (from the Google Drive web client or the odrive web client) to something very simple, like ‘test’, does it work?

Hi Tony,

1. The SD is formatted as FAT32
  2. The odrive right-click menu options stop showing up only for the specific file/folders.
  3. I created the path locally, I have no recollection of ever being able to sync files that were uploaded to the drive directly.
  4. Changing the folder name to temp in Google Drive is not reflected in the local folder.
    Coming to think of it, it seems that the issue is indeed with new changes that happen on Google drive - this is reflected by my answer to question 3, and also by the way I had previously tried a shorter name in Hebrew (שד י-ם 58 רג) - I created a new folder in Google drive with the alternative name and moved all files there, and now that entire folder can’t be synced.

Hi @noam.cayron,
Yeah this is a strange one Are you a premium user of odrive? If so there may be a couple of other easy things we can try to narrow down the issue.

If not, the next suggestion in to try an uninstall and reinstall of the software, which will reinitialize everything. Before doing that, I would keep the problematic folder(s) renamed on Google to something very basic, so we can eliminate a character encoding issue. A uninstall and reinstall may be more disruptive than you want, though, so let me know if this is not an option.

Hi Tony,

Somehow after a rename and restart everything seems to work. I will keep the simpler names and hopefully it stays that way.

Thanks a lot for all the help!
Noam

1 Like