Unable to sync - limit on rate of requests - OneDrive for Business

Has there been any further developments on this issue? I have gotten the error message again. Unfortunately my primary usage scenario is odrive with MS OneDrive. I will need to abandon odrive if this issue can’t be resolved because it prevents me from working. I don’t know whether it is a relatively small subset of odrive users with this issue and there are other more pressing matters to be resolved or what. Can you advise if there is any light at the end of the tunnel? It appears to be a MS issue, but good, bad or ugly if MS is making it impossible to use odrive with their cloud service, I will need to find another solution unfortunately.

I am also considering other options as this is seriously affecting our productivity

Hi @nbklaw and @s.bradshaw,
My apologies for this.

We are planning to release another version soon that tweaks the backoff settings. I’m hoping this will help more than the last release. It is difficult because Microsoft doesn’t have any information about how many requests are being made, or what constitutes “too many”.

I am still trying to get in touch with someone over there that can shed some light on this, but I have been unsuccessful, so far.

I hate to be a pain but this issue continues and unfortunately it shuts down my workflow. I’m going to need to find an alternative solution. I will not hold my breath waiting for MS to implement some sort of fix. Actually I would assume they prefer that odrive is not “bolted” onto their cloud storage as a front end. The reason I started using odrive is for remote access and because my workstations all have small SSD drives and our document storage is much larger. It has worked well up until now, but this problem has become a showstopper in my particular situation. The odrive file placeholder functionality is mission critical. I guess I will see about the MS version of file placeholders that was recently implemented in Windows 10; I’m not sure if it works in Office 365 for Business. Also, it would appear that once you sync a cloud file to the desktop, it won’t automatically unsync like odrive will, but I’m not sure about this. I don’t know if DropBox or Box or some other cloud service has the file placeholder feature, but I guess I will look into that as well. I hate to have to migrate into another service when I get storage in my Office365 subscription, but I need to have the file placeholder function. @s.bradshaw what is your plan B?

Hi @nbklaw,
Thanks for the feedback.

I encourage you to wait a little longer, if possible. The changes we are about to release will hopefully improve things, and I am still working on other possible changes in addition to continuing to follow-up with Microsoft.

We’ve released a new version that further tweaks the OneDrive for Business integration.

It will take a while to propagate out, but I am hoping to see better results by tomorrow.

Please let me know what your experience is.

If we still see heavy throttling tomorrow, then there is an experimental build I made to test another tactic here: https://www.odrive.com/s/2b663435-af6b-4065-bc45-bea57ce81e6e-5b10e415

Please do not install this :point_up: unless you are still being heavily throttled after running the latest version (Win v.6333 / Mac v.6401)

I’m showing build 6333 as of 06.05.2018 1:57pm EDT. I’m getting throttled, well, really denied service, so the problem continues. It does appear to be worse during the business day which is extremely unfortunate. Has MS responded with help, or told you to pound sand or something?

Hi @nbklaw,
I finally heard back from some folks at Microsoft and was put in touch with their API team. I am waiting to hear back from them today, but I am at least making some progress now on that front.

I’ll let you know what comes of that.

Well at this point, at least for me, Odrive is no longer compatible with MS OneDrive, and I get the error message every time, so unless MS has given you a solution, I need to figure out Plan B. I blame MS for this issue, and I suspect that they may be purposely breaking the link for their own reasons. I spoke to DropBox, and they have a placeholder function, but they could not confirm that there is an automatic unsync function, which I would need. If there is no automatic unsync, then each local workstation would have its small SSD overrun with my much larger document repository within a short time, as the synced documents would accumulate on the local SSD. Does anyone know if DropBox has an automatic unsync feature?

Hi @nbklaw,
I expect we will work something out, but I think it will take several days to have a workable solution. I am still waiting to hear back from their API team after the initial exchange.

I don’t think Dropbox has an automatic unsync type of feature, but I don’t know for sure.

You could also use odrive with another storage provider (even Dropbox) until we can work this issue out with Microsoft.

Odrive continues to be incompatible with OneDrive for Business due to the request limitation issue, which I am now running into virtually 100% of the time. I reached out to Drop Box who advised that their file placeholder sync function can be configured to delete the local file after editing is completed, which is what I need in my usage scenario. I’m going to DL a trial version of Drop Box to test out this claim. If indeed that is the behavior, then unfortunately I will have to abandon Odrive as my main purpose for its use is in conjunction with OneDrive. I’m pretty sure that the “MS OneDrive Team” is not having sleepless nights because nbklaw can’t access OneDrive via Odrive. Other than that issue, ODrive has worked well. If in fact I was mislead by Drop Box about the auto unsync feature, then I guess I will have to continue to use Odrive linked to Drop Box, which means I will have to subscribe to ODrive, Drop Box AND OneDrive for Business.

Hi @nbklaw,
I am still trying to work with the Microsoft team and sent them another follow-up this morning. I certainly understand and sympathize with your predicament and I will let you know of any new developments in this area.

Hi,

Is there any update on this issue? I just renewed for a year but if Onedrive and Onedrive for business cannot be synced it become useless to me.

Hi @jmazoyer,
I am working with Microsoft on this, but they have become less responsive, of late.

This should only be affecting OneDrive for Business. Are you seeing issues with OneDrive too?

Oh Yes it’s affecting Onedrive as well. I have both: one enterprise account from my company and one private account bought on Office family 365 and both are affected!
regards
JC

Hi @jmazoyer,
Can you send a diagnostic from the odrive menu after seeing rate limiting issues for both? I would like to take a closer look. I have not seen any issues with OneDrive (consumer) or had any other reports yet.

Office 365 is confusing because it can use OneDrive or OneDrive for Business. When you linked your accounts, which odrive integration(s) did you choose?

Unfortunately ODrive no longer works with OneDrive for Business, and I get the error message virtually 100% of the time, making ODrive useless to me, as the ODrive<>OneDrive functionality is my primary usage. Although it is much more expensive, I will have to migrate to DropBox. I don’t blame Odrive, as I believe this is entirely the fault of M$, perhaps as a way to discourage use of Odrive or other 3rd Party methods of interacting with OneDrive. Since Odrive is now no longer functional with OneDrive, is it possible to discontinue my subscription and get a refund? Again, I don’t blame ODrive, but since it no longer works, I don’t need to continue the subscription.

Hi @nbklaw,
Click on the “get in touch with us” link at the bottom of this page to send a message to our billing department: https://www.odrive.com/customerservice

I just received an update from Microsoft on this early this morning and I think we are making progress, but I understand if you have run out of time at this point. This issue makes OD4B unusable for many, so I certainly sympathize with your position.

I am continuing to push on this to find a solution…

Hi Tony,

We are using odrive on our management Mac’s to sync with onedrive as the Original onedrive tool is not working very good. But we have been encountering the same issues as the other users, is a solution near?