Stuck on "Open odrive folder [initializing]"

Hi
I’m a new user and just download the app on OS X 10.11.3.
The install all went fine and when i start the app i get a box saying “Welcome to odrive” and click the get started button and then nothing. If i click the icon in the menu bar i can see it says “Open odrive folder [initializing]” but nothing else happens.

I have tried restarting the app and rebooting but its always the same.

Thanks,
Chris

Hi Chris,

Have you linked any services to odrive yet? Simply click on the system try icon and select Manage Links, from there you can add your cloud services to be accessed.

Hi Chris, as an aside you should see a pop up or web window asking you to login as well.

Can you perhaps try closing your web browser, then click on Sign In from the system tray icon or have you already done that?

Hi Eric,
Thank you for the reply. No it never asked me to login so i don’t get the opportunity to add any services :frowning:

This is really strange. What you should see once you click on the getting started button is that a new browser tab/window will open to allow you to log in. Do you know what browser you have set as your default web browser?

If you close allw browsers and try to click on sign-in again in the odrive tray, does it still do nothing? If so, do you see anything spitting out in the OS X console?

Safari is my default browser but i also have Chrome and Firefox installed.
Just to test i closed all the browsers down and started odrive, click the getting started and nothing. it doesn’t try to start safari.

I also changed my default browser to chrome and firefox and did the same with no change.

The only think in the console at the time i start the app is:
05/02/2016 16:01:52.944 pkd[455]: UNINSTALLED:com.oxygen.odriveapp com.oxygen.odriveapp(1.0) FC65668C-3275-4B0A-8ADE-642B2E3CE437 /Users/chris/.odrive/bin/4901/odriveapp.app/Contents/PlugIns/FinderSyncExtension.appex
05/02/2016 16:01:52.960 pkd[455]: INSTALLED:com.oxygen.odriveapp com.oxygen.odriveapp(1.0) <__NSConcreteUUID 0x7fb781a8e200> 7099DA03-DA90-4D7C-AF09-DFAC39AE4EFC /Users/chris/.odrive/bin/4901/odriveapp.app/Contents/PlugIns/FinderSyncExtension.appex
05/02/2016 16:01:53.749 pkd[455]: enabling pid=447 for plug-in com.oxygen.odriveapp(1.0) 7099DA03-DA90-4D7C-AF09-DFAC39AE4EFC /Users/chris/.odrive/bin/4901/odriveapp.app/Contents/PlugIns/FinderSyncExtension.appex
05/02/2016 16:01:53.751 pkd[455]: client 34285 plug-in com.oxygen.odriveapp election := 1
05/02/2016 16:01:53.816 FinderSyncExtension[34286]: Failed to connect (colorGridView) outlet from (NSApplication) to (NSColorPickerGridView): missing setter or instance variable
05/02/2016 16:01:53.816 FinderSyncExtension[34286]: Failed to connect (view) outlet from (NSApplication) to (NSColorPickerGridView): missing setter or instance variable
05/02/2016 16:01:53.836 FinderSyncExtension[34286]: :poop: odrive Finder Extension loaded :poop:
05/02/2016 16:01:54.078 Finder[447]: Ignoring request from Finder Sync Extension to register for file:///System/
05/02/2016 16:01:54.107 Finder[447]: Ignoring request from Finder Sync Extension to register for file:///Library/

Hi Chris, can you send the diagnostic from the system tray icon so we can take a look? Thanks!

Thanks, i’ve just sent it. let me know if there is anything else i can do.

Chris

Thanks! I have kicked these over to engineering for review and will follow up.

Hi Chris, looks like you may be using a proxy, can you try disabling that to see if the client can connect?

nope no proxy. I was a network engineer for 15 years so believe me i would know :slightly_smiling:

I have a standard ADSL connection with a static IP and use NAT, I also have a backup line for failover but that hasn’t been in play while I have been trying this.

Does odrive rely on any UPnP?
If so what port does it try to reserve? If its always the same I have may ports that are not available to UPnP but i can punch holes if i know the ports.

Hi @cdhobden,
We are actually just making a standard call to open the browser to a specific URL, which ends up being an OS-level call. As for ports, we are using standard 443 for our outgoing calls.

Can you try running odriveapp from the terminal? We can see if anything is being spit out there when you try to sign-in:
~/.odrive/bin/4901/odriveapp.app/Contents/MacOS/odriveapp

ok, I’m sure there is nothing stopping it going out on 443.
If i do a tcpdump and filter for 443 i can see the normal sort of SSL negations going on but its hard to pinpoint them down to odrive, if you give me an ip range i can filter on that.

I never get as far as signing in, just click the get started and then nothing.

Running form the terminal gives:
Chriss-iMac:~ chris$ ~/.odrive/bin/4901/odriveapp.app/Contents/MacOS/odriveapp
osascript: can’t open default scripting component.

If i then select set up odrive from the menu icon it brings back the welcome screen and if i click get started again i get the same line repeated 3 times again in the terminal.

Hope that helps.

Chris

Hi @cdhobden,
This does help , although it is very strange. Your native OS X scripting environment seems to be messed up, for lack of a better term. osascript is an OS X built-in Open Scripting Architecture interpreter. This is what is being used to attempt to open the web browser to the login page.

You can actually try this manually in the terminal:
echo 'open location "http://www.odrive.com"' | osascript

This is roughly equivalent to what odrive is attempting to do. When you run that, do you get the same error?

Hi Tony,
Same error so looks like osascript is at fault here.
I’ll do some research into fixing that and get back to you when I have it sorted, i’m sure it will all be fine after that.

Many thanks,
Chris

I had to do an OS reinstall using the rescue partition but all seems fine now.

Thanks again for the help.

Chris

Glad you got it sorted out! Sorry you had to do a reinstall though… that’s never very much fun.