Speed of the syncing

Hi,

I have in one of my departments up to 100.000 files in Google Drive and every day 8-10 users edit up to 100 -200 files (usually word and excel)

This Google Drive folder is shared to another department with 5-6 employees and I want to be sure that the changes of the files of the first department will be show to the another department in a minute.

My questions:

Is there a problem that I have actually many files in my Drive for the fast syncing of the editting files?

Is there a priority for Odrive to sync the last editing files than to search all the folder with the 100.000 files?

Is it better if I have all the files in placeholders or to have all the files downloaded in the local folders of my PC

Sorry, but I have many problems with Google Backup and Sync and I don’t want to have problems again

Sakis

Hi @koukouviss,

100,000 files is a lot of files to track, but odrive should be able to sync changes fairly quickly and reflect them within 1 or 2 minutes.

In general, the less files that a sync engine has to worry about, the better performance you will have. Since odrive allows you to unsync folders to “collapse” the structure, you can scope down the local view of the files to just the sections you are interested in.

For example, even if you have 100,000 files in your Google Drive, the odrive desktop client may only have to worry about a few hundred, if you’ve unsynced other folders that are not currently relevant to you. Once you need local access to those folders, you can sync them. You can use this unsync and sync on demand method to really optimize the speed and overhead of the local client.

odrive listens for local system events and will sync local changes to the remote storage as soon as it knows about them. This is usually within 30 seconds of the change.

odrive asks Google Drive for a list of remote changes, so it can be informed of changes quickly and know exactly what folder the change was made in. This allows odrive to react quickly to remote Google Drive changes without have to do a full remote scan.

odrive does perform a full remote scan, periodically, as a “catch-all” to make sure changes are picked-up, even if there was an issue with the changes query (rare), or if the system has been offline for a while. When you use the unsync techniques above, even this full scan can be short, because odrive will only scan in folders that are exposed (not unsynced) on the local system.

As stated above, unsyncing folders will definitely give you better performance because it reduces the amount of data odrive needs to actively track. For files, the performance won’t really change between placeholders and “real” files in, terms of sync efficiency.

Your best bet is to try using odrive a bit, to get a feel for how it behaves with your particular use case and understand how how our progressive sync works.

Some things to note:
Performance and speed to pick up changes can vary if you start to stray from default odrive configurations, like using external/networked drives for your local storage. For example, if you have moved the default odrive folder to an external hard drive or you have setup a “sync to odrive” folder on a networked drive. These types of configurations can add overhead and slow down the speed that odrive can see and sync changes.

Thank you Tony

I will give a try

1 Like