SFTP to Synology NAS

58 AM

I setup an SFTP Account on my Synology NAS. I have been able to connect via MacOS SFTP command from the terminal using my user name and password. I setup a local SFTP account on odrive, but cannot connect - every time I try I get ‘SFTP Server Error’ on a popup. Is there a log file somewhere so I can troubleshoot?

Hi @jello4,
Can you reproduce this error and then send a diagnostic from the odrive menu?

Are you able to check any logs on the Synology to see what it looks like from the server side?

Error reproduced - There is no error reproduced on the synology that I can see.

Hi @jello4,
The diagnostic is showing an error with the kex algorithm available on the server. Are you able to see how sshd is setup on the synology? It looks like odrive is not able to find a compatible setting.

Which Kex Algorithm is odrive looking for? I have my Synology set to ‘High’ Security, so some may be disabled.

So I tried enabling all Kex, same results. My synology is not registering a connection attempt.16 PM
What’s next?

Hi @jello4,
It may be a combination of the different settings. Here are the ones supported by odrive:

ciphers: 
         aes128-ctr
         aes192-ctr
         aes256-ctr
         aes128-cbc
         blowfish-cbc
         aes192-cbc
         aes256-cbc
         3des-cbc
         arcfour128
         arcfour256

macs: 
      hmac-sha2-256
      hmac-sha2-512
      hmac-md5
      hmac-sha1-96
      hmac-md5-96
      hmac-sha1

key algorithms: 
                ssh-rsa
                ssh-dss
                ecdsa-sha2-nistp256

kex algorithms:
                diffie-hellman-group1-sha1
                diffie-hellman-group14-sha1
                diffie-hellman-group-exchange-sha1
                diffie-hellman-group-exchange-sha256

Ok, I shotgunned it an enabled everything. I am now getting this:
11 PM
Which makes me thing I am moving down the line. my start path is \home
which does exist in the directory that my Mac SFTP program logs in to. I also tried \ with no avail…

Hi @jello4,
Generally the path would be using a forward slash instead of a backslash (/home). Can you double-check that?

What happens if you just leave the starting path blank?

Changed the path to /home and that did the trick. Thanks! Now to back off some of the ‘extra’ protocols to tighten things up. I appreciate your help.

Great! Thanks for the follow-up @jello4