Round and round sync changes (stuck at uploading)

Hi,

I have an OS X desktop and uploading to Amazon cloud with odrive, I have 9 files that have been uploading for weeks now and they seems to go up to 99%, then restart from 0. I have not interrupted them although I have tried renaming the files yet I am still stuck in this endless loop. Any ideas as it’s driving me mad.

Thanks

Marc

Hi @marcgreen11,
Amazon is a bit notorious for large file upload quirks. They tend to throw exceptions on large file uploads saying they failed. Since they don’t have an upload resume API available to use, the upload has to restart from scratch when this happens.

This post has more detailed information about this: Recurring problem with upload to Amazon drive

In addition to the suggestions in the above post, I believe that Amazon’s client utilizes their unreleased upload resume API, so you can also try using their client to get these last large files uploaded.

If you send a diagnostic from the odrive menu I can take a deeper look and confirm.

Hi Tony,

ok thanks for that, I did try the amazon client and in part it has worked in the past but seems to be crashing quite a lot at the moment. I have send the diagnostic.

Thanks

Hi @marcgreen11,
I took a look and it actually looks like most of the upload errors (at least the ones I see) are due to this error:
ConnectionError([Errno 32] Broken pipe

This just indicates that the network connection broke somewhere in the middle of transfer. This can happen for a number of reasons, and the longer the duration of the transfer (depending on the size of the file and the speed of the connection) the more likely you are to hit some sort of error. The risk is elevated if you are using wireless, or have an unstable connection, in general.

If a resume API was available, this wouldn’t be too much of an issue since you could resume where you left off. We actually created IFS for this reason (among others), but it may not be desirable if you want your files to be “whole” in the cloud. You can read more about it here: https://docs.odrive.com/docs/manage-sync#section-upload-large-files-ifs-split-large-files-

Hi Tony,

ok good information there, I will look into it.

Thanks