Renaming files in Sync folder creates new file in Amazon Cloud

I am new to ODrive, which I am using in lieu of Amazon’s sync app that was recently discontinued.

I use Amazon mainly for photo storage. My phone and camera auto upload all images to the cloud via WiFi. I then rename the files in the default folder since the phone and camera use a generic naming convention that is incomprehensible and meaningless.

I have discovered that renaming files in my desktop sync folder caused a new file to be created in the Amazon cloud, with new attributes. It does not rename the original file. The original file is still in the Amazon cloud folder. I am doing everything just as I did when using the Amazon sync app but not getting the anticipated result of simply changing the name of the file.

If it makes a difference, I use Adobe Bridge to process and rename files. Bridge is not creating a copy in my sync folder, so why is ODrive behaving this way?

Probably has to do with the way Adobe Bridge renames files.

To triangulate this issue, can you use the file manager to rename some files? What do you see?

Additionally, can you have Adobe bridge rename one file, to reproduce the issue, and then send a diagnostic from the odrive tray menu? I will also need the name of the file (original and renamed).

Thanks!

Yes, I can manually rename a single file using windows file manager, and it would appear to sync that name update with the cloud, no duplicates.

I don’t know the particulars of how Bridge does its thing with regard to renaming files and inserting additional Metadata and IPTC Core data. However, I do know that I don’t see the original files in my desktop recycle bin but the ODrive trash bin however is chocked full. Some I manually deleted. Most are in there because I renamed them.

I will use Bridge to rename a file in a different folder and send the diagnostic.

Original file name: IMG_20160826_131459.jpg

Diagnostic sent

Thanks Matt.

It looks like the Adobe Bridge app is modifying the files in some way, in addition to renaming them. The sizes are changing. Because the size and the name have changed, odrive picks this up as an add of the “new file” and a delete of the “old file”.