Protecting cloud files from accidental deletion

This may be covered already, but is there anything I should do to ensure that my cloud files don’t get accidentally deleted when a local file or folder is deleted? I’ve had scary experiences with sync where everything got deleted recursively after an attack deleted files at one end.

This issue came up when the new Amazon Cloud app tried to download all of the stored files to a folder in my home directory – I wanted to make sure that deleting the folder would not then delete the originals.

Thanks!
-Chris

Hi @cbelcher,
This is one of the main reasons odrive has the “odrive trash”. It holds any locally detected deletes until the user explicitly tells odrive to commit those deletes to the cloud by emptying the trash.

Keep in mind that if you enable “Auto Empty Trash”, the trash will be emptied automatically at the interval you set.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s great information.

Is there a possibility that Amazon Cloud Drive app could override that? Is it better to use just one or the other? I use the Amazon Cloud app to upload files. Is that unnecessary and/or an invitation for accidents to happen?

1 Like

Hi @cbelcher,
I can’t say for sure what the Amazon Drive app will do, as I haven’t used it recently, but I imagine it will delete the files in the cloud if they are deleted locally.

You can use odrive in place of the Amazon Drive app.

1 Like