Odrive suddenly syncing entire account, Hard drive out of space!

I am not sure how this happened, Odrive suddenly started syncing everything in the entire folder structure. It filled up my drive. It seems like it is queued and every unsync i try to make is slated after the total sync. Currently, this is causing me some logistical problems and need to get this fixed fast!

It is currently frozen with 776 gb left on a 10tb drive and not moving past some log files used for backup software.

Where do I start? What do i do?

Hi @conor,
Can you try clicking on “Stop automatic sync” at the top of the odrive menu and then right-click on the root odrive folder and select “Stop” to stop the current sync?

After that right-click on the odrive folder and select “Sync”, slide the slider all the way to the left (set to Nothing), make sure “Include Subfolders” is not selected, and select “Save and apply to new files and folders”.

What exactly will this do, I have a lot of linked things going on and don’t want to unsync things that I need stored locally?

Hi @conor,
It sounds like you may have set some folder sync rules, this will clear those rules so that you don’t have things auto-downloading. It won’t unsync anything.

More on folder sync rules: https://docs.odrive.com/docs/sync-source-changes

Ill try it - though it is currently displaying “never download”.

Do I start auto sync again after that?

Hi @conor,
Yes, you can enable auto sync again.

So my Odrive has locked up again, there are 50 files in waiting and 224 not allowed files. There are two files displayed in the syncing changes, they are both listed at 100% and nothing else is happening. I try to manually sync a seperate folder and I get a dialog box that says odrive is busy, try again later.

Any ideas?

Hi @conor,
This could be fallout from the full sync of everything that was happening yesterday. It sounds like you may have a very large repository of data that odrive is now actively monitoring/syncing.

For the files in waiting, do you recognize these? Are they files that have changed locally and are uploading?

For the files that are stuck, is there anything of note about them?

Can you tell me which storage you have linked and approximately how much of it is currently “in view” on the local system (meaning the amount of data odrive is tracking locally)?

Can you also send a diagnostic from the odrive menu so we can take a closer look? There was a new feature added to the diagnostic that will write a summary of the odrive status in the root of the odrive folder, too, which you can look at to get an idea of what is currently going on in the system. That may provide you with some additional information, as well. The file is named “current_odrive_status.txt”

For the files in waiting, do you recognize these? Are they files that have changed locally and are uploading?
some yes, some no though they are two letter folders which looks like a photo database ( I know odrive has issues with large folder structures so these are purposefully kept unsynced)

For the files that are stuck, is there anything of note about them?
it has started moving forward but at a snails pace - they are large .psd’s and .tif’s - image files

Can you tell me which storage you have linked and approximately how much of it is currently “in view” on the local system (meaning the amount of data odrive is tracking locally)?
6 google drive accounts and 1 dropbox, 5.26 TB , 221k files and 8255 folders

Hi @conor,
It sounds like you have a lot of data sprawl right now, so it would be best to try to rein it in and unsync sections that you don’t need to have immediate access to, if possible.

For items in waiting, I would actually expect these to all be uploads. See if you can take a closer look at that in the “current odrive status.txt” file, especially for a reason why they are in waiting. It may be that there is something running on your system that is modifying files locally and odrive is detecting these changes and uploading them if these are files you are not expecting to be uploaded.

The same goes for the actively syncing items. The “current odrive status.txt” file will indicate if these items are upload or downloads. Does what you see in here make sense?