Odrive stops working after a few hours of running

This has been happening for a few weeks now, and I’m not finally making a thread about it. It seems like it’s only happening for me though (I asked a friend who recommended me odrive, and they have no problems), I’m on Windows 7 SP 1 64bit.

Basically what happens is odrive starts with my computer, it works fine, and then after a few hours, it just freezes. Clicking on the icon does nothing, and it doesn’t sync anything. I can end the process in task manager and restart the app, but the cycle just repeats itself.

Hi @conkersbadfurdayn64,
When you kill the process from the task manager, does it say it is “Not responding”?
Are you in the process of syncing lots of items, or is odrive idle?

When ending odrive in task manager, I go into the processes tab to end it, which doesn’t show if it’s responding or not.

I’ve had it happen in both instances. Just today it stopped working when I was syncing stuff, and it stopped working earlier today when it was idle.

It just happened again, and after clicking it about 10 times, a window came up saying odrive has stopped working. Here’s the crash info it presented me with:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: odrive.exe
Problem Signature 02: 1.0.0.0
Problem Signature 03: 57e2e58d
Problem Signature 04: odrive
Problem Signature 05: 1.0.0.0
Problem Signature 06: 57e2e58d
Problem Signature 07: 1b
Problem Signature 08: 1c
Problem Signature 09: System.AggregateException
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

This could be this same issue as the one reported here:

The tray menu is actually a separate process (odrive.exe) than the main odrive app (odriveapp.exe). We have seen that having a lot of items in one or more of the “lists” that the menu keeps track of can cause unresponsiveness.

The next time you see this happen, can you run the commands listed in the post I references above? It will allow us to see if odrive is still running and the tray menu is the one with the problem. If so, it may also reveal why.

Thanks!

Alright, it happened again. I ran those commands while it was not responding, and nothing came up. I restarted it and got this after running the command:

Thanks.
When you ran the command the first time, did it give an error, or did not display anything?
Can you send a diagnostic from the odrive tray menu?

Thanks!

Nothing came up.

Yup, I have just sent a diagnostic report.

Thanks.

I took a look and I don’t see anything that stands out.

I see you have odrive on E: drive, is that a local disk or an external disk?
The next time this happens, can you take a screenshot of the odrive processes (processes tab) in the task manager?
Also, can you tell me what you see when you right-click on a file or folder in odrive when this happens?

Yes, E: is an external hard drive that’s always connected to my computer.
Odrive processes:
Right click (nothing from odrive shows):

It doesn’t seem like the apps are locked, but they are not behaving as we would expect. I’m wondering if the external drive is spinning down when idle and causing confusion in odrive.

Just an FYI: We actually don’t support having odrive on external volumes because it can cause some unexpected behavior and performance issues. This is new behavior, though, so I would like to try to figure out what is happening here.

Oh I see, it makes sense. Should I just move it back to my main drive or do you have anything else for me to try?

Hi @conkersbadfurdayn64,
If possible, I would recommend moving the odrive folder back to an internal drive to eliminate the possibility that something with the external drive is causing the issue. Moving the folder to an external drive introduces a behavioral differences that could cause problems.

In this particular case I can’t say for certain if it is causing the odrive lockup, but moving to an internal drive will eliminate a lot of variables.

Hi

I have the exact same problem here.

Odrive crashed, here is the Windows 7 error message:

C:\Users\FushanKwoon\AppData\Local\Temp\WERA7FA.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
C:\Users\FushanKwoon\AppData\Local\Temp\WERAC8D.tmp.appcompat.txt C:\Users\FushanKwoon\AppData\Local\Temp\WERADE5.tmp.WERDataCollectionFailure.txt

Hi @fushankwoon,
We don’t see many odrive crashes. When we do it is typically due to an outside factor, like anti-virus. Are you running any anti-virus software, or other software that may be performing active monitoring/scanning of the system?