Odrive setup resets on Explorer crash

Whenever explorer crashes (or if you kill explorer.exe) the account settings for Odrive get reset so the next time windows starts it reverts back to a new installation. I have to then reconnect my account and then move the folder to the current location.

This is very reproducible and predictable. The worse thing though, odrive will cause massive issues with explorer if under load and causes it to crash as well. Any chance to have the system remember on explorer crash

Thanks
Shane

Hi @shane,
I haven’t actually seen this behavior before and I’ve killed Explorer so many times during testing, I’m surprised it even exists anymore :wink:

If the settings are being reset, this indicates that the .odrive folder in your user home directory is being wiped out or modified in some way. That is where this config information is kept. If you can repro this on-demand, we can try to see what might be happening to that folder, or the contents of that folder when this occurs.

Can you also send a diagnostic from the odrive tray menu before and after so I can compare?

Hi Tony.
I will monitor the .odrive settings folder in my home drive. I have my storage folder moved from C: to another drive (Y:). When setup first is complete, there is the default Odrive in the home folder. Whenever it crashes and resets, this gets backed up and a new folder gets created.

Will provide feedback if this occurs again.
Thanks

Regards
Shane

Hi @shane,
Thanks for the reply. What type of volume is the Y: drive? Is it an internal drive, external, or networked?

Y: is a standard drive internal HDD. This is also having problems with odrive being in the default directory.

I am getting it if i close via the task tray menu and starting it again. I am trying to nut out the reproducible circumstances.

What files should i be looking at copying prior to shutting it down to see if they are corrupt?

Thanks
Shane

Hi @shane,
Everything required for setup and config is inside the %userprofile%\.odrive folder. Specifically in the %userprofile%\.odrive\db\ folder.

Hi Tony,

Thanks. Odrive reset again on reboot. The .odrive folder does not look damaged or missing. I have been able to zip up the whole folder before going through the same process of “signing in”, locating the folder (it was moved to a backup) and fixing all the menu options. It wasn’t even doing anything when i did a reboot. I don’t have many files in the folder (all is unsynced). This is really getting to be a bother. I have sent a diagnostic prior to relogging in. I can also send you the complete .odrive folder if that helps.

Regards
Shane

Hi @shane,
Maybe its possible that something is amiss with the local database encryption. We use Windows CryptAPI to create a registry key to hold the key for the databases. Perhaps there is an issue with this entry being changed, removed, or failing to be written to the registry properly.

A few things to try/look at. Before trying these, let’s remove odrive from starting-up automatically, so it doesn’t interfere with the results. You can do this from the “Startup” tab in the Windows Task Manager. Right-click on odrive.exe and select “Disable”:

• If you exit odrive and restart, does it start-up fine each time?
  • Do you see a registry key called “odrive-db” in the registry under “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\odrive-db”?
  • Is the above registry entry still there after a restart?
  • If you exit odrive before restarting, is the result the same?

Hi Tony,

Just a heads up. This seams to have resolved it self. Uncertain if it was due to the fact i use chrome profiles and sometimes i may have had a second (unlinked) profile active (most recent profile active) when odrive was booting up/logging in. Either way it has settled down for now.

Thanks for all the help.

Glad to hear it @shane! Thanks for the update.