Odrive regularly crashes (Bitdefender)

Working on PC running Windows 7. Most days, within an hour or two of booting up I get an error message: “odriveapp.exe has stopped working.”

I close the program and launch again. I have clicked “send diagnostics,” but see no evidence that the command has done anything.

Hi @jnelson522,
Can you tell me how large of a structure odrive is currently monitoring for you? You can see this by right-clicking on the odrive folder and selecting “properties”.

Can you also try sending another diagnostic? The diagnostic attempts to send as soon as you choose to send it. I can take a while, so there isn’t a final confirmation screen.

Folder size is 1.4 GB. I just sent diagnostics.

Thanks,
jn

I’m getting the same exact problem. odrive will crash every few hours. I have to manually restart it. I’m also on win 7 x64. This issue started a few weeks ago though, and I’m now finally getting around to posting it…

Here’s the info supplied when it crashes:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: odriveapp.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 514e2c2e
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.23807
Fault Module Timestamp: 5915f8e8
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0002e064
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 56f5
Additional Information 2: 56f50057683cdbfd654c11c2adb3bbee
Additional Information 3: 11e5
Additional Information 4: 11e55f3ceaa742af752d4088e4931316

Read our privacy statement online:
Windows 7 Privacy Statement

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Hi @conkersbadfurdayn64,
c0000005 exceptions (memory access violation) with ntdll.dll usually indicate some sort of driver issue/conflict, or some software that acts at a lower-level on the system (firewall, anti-virus, etc).

Do you have any monitoring-type software running, like firewall, anti-virus, anti-malware that could be scanning or interfering?
Did you recently update any drivers or install any new hardware?

@jnelson522,
Are you able to supply similar information for your crash? Is yours also occurring in ntdll.dll?

I’ve had bitdefender running for the longest time, along with odrive. I can’t really recall installing anything of that nature…

I don’t know if something like a Plex server could cause that (though none of my plex media is in an odrive folder). I did just install the Plex server not too long ago. It happened kinda around the time odrive started regularly crashing.

Hi @conkersbadfurdayn64 and @jnelson522,
We can try to dig deeper into the crash. The method is a bit more advanced, but not too bad:

We can create a Windows registry entry to tell Windows that we want some mini-dumps to be generated on application errors like this.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps]
"DumpCount"=dword:00000014
"DumpType"=dword:00000001

If you copy and paste the above into a text file, and name it something like “dump_reg.reg” (the .reg extension is important), you can then double-click on it to create the registry entry. Once enabled, if an application crashes again, it will create a dump file in:
C:\Users\<your username here>\AppData\Local\CrashDumps\

If you can perform the steps above and then send over a mini-dump file, I can take a look and see if there is more information we can gather about the cause.

Alright, I sent you the info.

@Tony, thanks for your reply.

I don’t understand what “occurring in ntdll.dll” means.

BitDefender is running on my system, and has been since before using odrive. If these are in conflict, how can I resolve?

I followed your instructions for creating a registry entry and will send the dump file the next time odrive crashes.

Thanks @jnelson522.

Ntdll.dll is a general Windows system dll, so the implications of crashes usually point to some sort of lower-level system interaction (drivers, memory, monitoring/scanning process). I will be curious to see what the crash reports indicate, and also to see if there are other applications crashing, as well.

@Tony, when Odrive crashed today, here’s the info I found. The windows dialogue notifying that “odriveapp.exe has stopped working” had the following under “Problem signature”:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: odriveapp.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 514e2c2e
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.18247
Fault Module Timestamp: 521ea91c
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00052ca9
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 56f5
Additional Information 2: 56f50057683cdbfd654c11c2adb3bbee
Additional Information 3: 11e5
Additional Information 4: 11e55f3ceaa742af752d4088e4931316

I do have a dump log - how can I send you a *dmp file?

Hi @jnelson522,
Take a look at this thread here, starting at this point:
https://forum.odrive.com/t/odriveapp-exe-keeps-crashing-windows-8-1/2808/5

This user was seeing the same thing and disabling bitdefender stopped the crashes. He was going to try to exclude odrive and its directories, but I didn’t hear back.

conkersbadfurdayn64 also uninstalled bitdefender and the problem went away. Can you give it a shot?

I have reached out to bitdefender to see if there is anything that can be done for this.

@Tony,

I am reluctant to uninstall Bitdefender and leave my computer vulnerable. I looked at the Bitdefender log and found no events referring to odrive (the only events listed did not correspond with times when odrive crashed). The only way I see to add an exclusion to Bitdefender (free edition) is by referring to a logged event: since odrive does not appear in that log, I can’t add the exclusion.

Have you heard anything from Bitdefender about this (potential) conflict?

Hi @jnelson522,
Do these instructions apply to your version? https://www.bitdefender.com/support/how-to-add-antivirus-exclusions-(exceptions)-in-bitdefender-2017-1784.html

If not, can you tell me what version you are running?

I haven’t heard from Bitdefender yet.

Just to confirm, excluding the odrive folders and executables from both the regular AV and the advanced threat scanning in Bitdefender worked.

I believe what the cause is will turn out to be the way that Bitdefender copies archive files from Program Files to the user directory, expands and runs odriveapp.exe from there. That is similar to the way a lot of malware works.

I appreciate the update @frodo.jim. Thanks!

@Tony, I am running the free version of Bitdefender. The instructions in the link you sent probably apply to the purchased version; the options described aren’t available to me.

Hi @jnelson522,
Darn. Have you considered using a different antivirus like AVG or Avast?

which Bitdefender plan you are using? if you are using Bitdefender total security plan than I don’t think there would be an issue with your antivirus, because I a using it too. if you are not getting properly you can contact Bitdefender customer service perhaps it would help you to find out what you want.

1 Like