Odrive quits right after launch

I don’t know if it’s related, but after installing the latest update to MacOS (installed late november 2017), Odrive quits a few seconds after it’s launched. It’s not usable at all. I just renewed my subscription too. I installed the latest version of the desktop application manually, but that did nothing.

I use Amazon Drive primarily.

Any tips on how to make this work? Preferably sooner rather than later.

Hi @staffan,
I’ve seen a few cases on Mac where this can happen.

Try these steps and see if it helps:

1. Open a terminal session (type “terminal” in Spotlight search):

2. Run the following command in the terminal session (copy & paste + Enter):
    killall -KILL odrive; killall -KILL FinderSyncExtension; sleep 5; cd "$HOME"; rm -r ".odrive/bin"; rm ".odrive/version"; open "/Applications/odrive.app"

This will reset the bin folder and re-run odrive.

Thanks, but it just reverts to the same behavior. It briefly flashes in the activity bar, then quits.

Hi @staffan,
Can you try running this command next?

bindir=$(ls -d "$HOME/.odrive/bin/"*/ | tail -1); echo $bindir;"${bindir}odriveapp.app/Contents/MacOS/odrive"

That should spit out some information that might point us to what is happening.

Do you happen to have an external drive connected to that system? If so, can you disconnect it to see if it makes a difference?

No external drive connected or synced.

That just gave me this: Illegal instruction: 4

Second time it gave med this: Segmentation fault: 11

Hi @staffan,
Can you take a screenshot of the “About This Mac” windows when you click on the apple icon at the top-left and click on “About This Mac”. Seeing something like 'Illegal instruction 4" is certainly unexpected.

Sure. Yes, I thought it odd, so I tried again and got the “Segmentation fault: 11”

I’ve never had any problems before, and they started just after I made the last upgrade of High Sierra. I can’t think of anything else that may have changed.

Hi @staffan,
If you can grab a couple of crash reports for odrive - you can look for one from the console (type console into Spotlight search) in the “User Diagnostic Reports” section - I can see if anything stands out.

I’m not sure what could be happening here…

Here is some output that seems to be related to odrive:

Dec 1 19:53:28 Staffans-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.user.501): Service “com.apple.xpc.launchd.unmanaged.FinderSyncExten.1132” tried to hijack endpoint “com.oxygen.odriveapp.macExtensionService” from owner: com.apple.xpc.launchd.unmanaged.FinderSyncExten.1099
Dec 1 19:53:28 Staffans-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.user.501): Service “com.apple.xpc.launchd.unmanaged.FinderSyncExten.1132” tried to hijack endpoint “com.oxygen.odriveapp.macExtensionService” from owner: com.apple.xpc.launchd.unmanaged.FinderSyncExten.1099
Dec 1 19:53:40 Staffans-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.oxygen.odriveapp[1099]): Service exited due to signal: Killed: 9 sent by odrive[1137]
Dec 1 19:53:40 Staffans-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.oxygen.odriveapp[1132]): Service exited due to signal: Killed: 9 sent by odrive[1137]
Dec 1 19:57:54 Staffans-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent): Unknown key for integer: _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit

OK, the reason seems to be that root was disabled. I put a password on root a couple of days ago because of an Apple bug that got som press. Somehow it must have been disabled. I enabled root, and all is fine now.

It’s been working fine for a while now, so definitely solved. Thank’s Tony for your help, and very fast reply!

Hi @staffan,
Thanks for the follow-up. That would’ve been a tough one to figure out. Can you elaborate on the change that was made, for future reference, when you get a chance?

Well, the bug is described here: https://www.imore.com/macos-has-root-bug It’s a big one. You can log in as root without a password, if the user hasn’t set one in Directory Utility. So I put a password on the root account, but for some reason root must have been disabled. Since then, Apple has released a patch to adress the problem with root login without credentials.

Anyway, I made an upgrade at about the same time I set the root password, and assumed my problems with Odrive were related to the upgrade. Also, if I’m not mistaken, I actually did not have root enabled in the first place; as I had to enable it to set the password, which makes the whole thing even weirder. But if another user has similar problems, enabling root could be a thing to look at.

1 Like

OK, it held up for a while, but now it’s crashing in the same way again.

bindir=$(ls -d “$HOME/.odrive/bin/”*/ | tail -1); echo $bindir;“${bindir}odriveapp.app/Contents/MacOS/odrive”

Segmentation fault: 11

Update:

After running

killall -KILL odrive; killall -KILL FinderSyncExtension; sleep 5; cd “$HOME”; rm -r “.odrive/bin”; rm “.odrive/version”; open “/Applications/odrive.app”

it’s working again. There is something weird here that I don’t understand. I have the root account turned off again, so that doesn’t appear to be related after all.

Hi @staffan,
Yes, this is definitely strange. I know you can get a segmentation fault if you try to run two odrive processes at the same time. Is it possible that odrive is being launched more than once?

How could more than one process be loaded, and how do I find out if there is?

It’s working again, so I don’t know if I can troubleshoot it until it stops working again (hope it won’t)…

Hi @staffan,
You can take a look at the MacOS Activity Monitor and type ‘odrive’ in the search box there. This will show all active odrive processes. When you are trying to start odrive and see the error, see if there may be another process already running.

Here’s what it looks like, one main thread and eight finder extensions.

Hi @staffan,
What you see is expected when odrive is running normally. If you tried to start odrive again at that point, you would get the fault, because it is already running.