Odrive quits after a few seconds OSX 10.12

Originally Odrive was working flawlessly, this afternoon it froze, and so I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, now it runs for a few seconds then closes itself.

when i run the command, I get this.

override rwxr-xr-x root/staff for .odrive/db/backups? y
rm: .odrive/db/backups: Permission denied
override rwxr-xr-x root/staff for .odrive/db/integrations? y
rm: .odrive/db/integrations: Permission denied
override rw-r–r-- root/staff for .odrive/db/odrive.db? y
rm: .odrive/db/odrive.db: Permission denied
override rw-r–r-- root/staff for .odrive/db/odrive.db-shm? y
rm: .odrive/db/odrive.db-shm: Permission denied
override rw-r–r-- root/staff for .odrive/db/odrive.db-wal? y
rm: .odrive/db/odrive.db-wal: Permission denied
override rw-r–r-- root/staff for .odrive/db/tracking.db? y
rm: .odrive/db/tracking.db: Permission denied
override rw-r–r-- root/staff for .odrive/db/tracking.db-shm? y
rm: .odrive/db/tracking.db-shm: Permission denied
override rw-r–r-- root/staff for .odrive/db/tracking.db-wal? y
rm: .odrive/db/tracking.db-wal: Permission denied
override rwxr-xr-x root/staff for .odrive/db? y
rm: .odrive/db: Directory not empty
rm: .odrive: Directory not empty
mv: rename odrive to odrive_2016-10-09:17:56:45: Permission denied
rm: odrive.app: No such file or directory
rm: odrive: No such file or directory
Mac-mini:~ corydawson$

I am on OS X Sierra BTW

Hi @cory.dawson,
I moved your post from the uninstall thread to here to, since I believe these issues are linked.

What is strange here is that the permissions shown are not what I would expect for a typical user account. It seems like the permissions on some of the odrive folders/files has been changed to root ownership (root/staff), with only write being available to the root user. The owner should, instead, be your own user.

This is probably what caused the application to quit, because it can’t write to the local databases or odrive folder anymore. Since you’ve done a partial uninstall, we can try to correct this with the following command, doing a full uninstall with elevated privileges to deal with the incorrect permissions and then install odrive again:

cd "$HOME" && sudo rm -r ".odrive" && killall Finder;sudo mv "odrive" "odrive_$(date +%Y-%m-%d:%H:%M:%S)";cd "/Applications" && sudo rm -r "odrive.app";cd "/Library/Application Support" && sudo rm -r "odrive";cd "$HOME";

This may not resolve everything if the permissions, in general, are incorrect on your user home folder, but we can try this and see where it gets us.

Thank you Tony. I was out of town until today, and didn’t get a chance to try your suggestion until now, and all seems to be working. I am able to get odrive to run properly, and I am currently synching. Thank you for the assistance.

1 Like