Odrive not responding in task bar - cannot see progress of upload

I’m uploading quite a lot of information into my Amazon Drive account using ODrive, however after a few minutes, the task bar icon becomes unresponsive and I cannot see the progress of the upload when I click it (right/left/single and double).

The icon is pink, it’s moving but will not show the number of files syncing or waiting - no menu appears.

The only way I’ve found to fix this is restart each time but then it stops after a few more minutes.

I’m using it on a late 2014 iMac Retina 5k running Sierra 10.12.3.

Any ideas?

Hi,
If you are syncing a lot of content, it is possible that the menu is overwhelmed or busy enough to cause it to not show properly.

It can help to run a couple CLI status commands, which can give a clear listing of what is syncing, waiting, not allowed, and in the trash.

To use the CLI commands from Mac:

1. Open a terminal session (type “terminal” in Spotlight search):

2. Copy and paste the following command into the terminal and hit enter:
    python $(ls -d "$HOME/.odrive/bin/"*/ | tail -1)odrive.py status

This will return a summary of odrive status. To get more detailed you can add parameters to the status command like this:
python $(ls -d "$HOME/.odrive/bin/"*/ | tail -1)odrive.py status --uploads
python $(ls -d "$HOME/.odrive/bin/"*/ | tail -1)odrive.py status --downloads
python $(ls -d "$HOME/.odrive/bin/"*/ | tail -1)odrive.py status --waiting
python $(ls -d "$HOME/.odrive/bin/"*/ | tail -1)odrive.py status --trash
python $(ls -d "$HOME/.odrive/bin/"*/ | tail -1)odrive.py status --not_allowed

1 Like

Hi Tony, thank you so much for the speedy response. That’s doing the job nicely, and now I can see what’s happening in the background and how things are progressing!

Much appreciated,

Lea

1 Like

Hi Tony,

I have been using the terminal to track the upload status to my Amazon Drive account however I’ve just been doing some checking and I’m finding that although the status will show me that a particular file is in progress, I’m not seeing any changes directly on the amazon drive account.

Basically, I’m checking amazon drive and sorting the files based on upload time and I went all night without adding a new file, despite odrive telling me things were uploading. So either they are being cancelled and being moved back to the waiting list, or something else is happening to the file.

The only way I’ve found to fix this is to keep restarting. Any other suggestions to help with this?

Thanks,

Lea

Hi @bishbash89,
Are you able to access the odrive menu and send a diagnostic? I can take a look and see if any errors are being encountered.

Are the files you are uploading large?
What does the status output show you in terms of waiting, syncing, etc?

Hi Tony, I can only access the diagnostic options after restarting oDrive, so what I’ve submitted may not yield any errors.

File sizes are typically around 25Mb per photo, 100-500Mb for the videos.

I have left my computer on for many days now (basically since starting with oDrive), and I’m slowly uploading everything however when I checked the upload status in terminal, then compared this to Amazon Drive, I could not find the files, even though the status had been say 80% uploaded on a 25MB file 12 hours earlier (I’d run the terminal script in the morning, see what was uploading, then go to work, come back 12 hours later and check whether it had gone into the Drive account.).

The status in terminal usually shows progress in the upload (around 10 uploads at a time) with waiting files variable and there is only one not allowed file (premier pro project file).

Hi @bishbash89,
Try restarting odrive, waiting ~10 minutes, then sending a diagnostic, if possible. That should provide a window to see if anything is being uploaded or if errors are being encountered for some reason.

Do you see file badging in Finder for the items that are attempting to sync? If you see green checks on the files then they have been uploaded successfully. If you check www.odrive.com you should also be able to see those files.

Hi Tony,

Apologies for the delay, I was out of the country for the weekend.

During this time, I left the computer running in the hopes that it would have completed uploading - no such luck. When I came back, there was no progress.

I restarted and it started to upload. I did as you asked and waited 10-15mins and then sent a diagnostic. Maybe 10mins after the diagnostic was sent, there was no more uploads (checked the info records of the latest files), and it’s been frozen for the last couple of hours.

When I go through the Finder > oDrive directory, it will only show what has been uploaded successfully after I’ve restarted the program. If it’s frozen, I cannot see what is in progress and what isn’t. Also, the drop down menu for oDrive within the Finder window is stuck showing “Waiting…”. It doesn’t move from this until I restart.

Hi @bishbash89,
It took me a bit to find your diag because it looks like you are logged into odrive on your desktop with a different odrive user than the one you are using here on the forum. Not a an issue, just something to note. This commonly happens if you end up using a different authenticating account for (Facebook vs Google vs Amazon, etc).

So, I took a look and I definitely see an issue. During the diagnostic, you were uploading several files and they appear to be going up, but I also see many items in waiting that are all there because of network exceptions (handshake timeout, connection reset by peer, write timeout).

It looks like odrive is working through a Photo Library, which can be pretty savage because of the ridiculous, sprawling structure inside. At the time of the diagnostic, odrive was also uploading 20 files simultaneously, which can also really strain the network and the system.

I would be interested to see what is going on once you see that uploads seem to stop. I am wondering if more network exceptions are being hit, or if there is a combination of network exception plus an increasing pile-up of waiting items.

What do you see when you look at the waiting list for the reason the items are waiting? Do you notice that files are re-appearing there?

If you get to the point where uploads seem to halt, check to see if you are able to send a diagnostic. I would like to see what the recent states are and if there are network exceptions piling up.

Hi Tony,

So I had a couple of very good days where I was able to upload the majority of the files on the waiting list (I’d say it’s been 3 weeks of uploads now) however it’s still having issues where the files seem to upload, then at some stage before 100% it’ll drop into the waiting list.

Looking at the Terminal command for waiting, I can see that I’m getting the “Please check your network connection or manage your proxy settings”. I’m using oDrive on a personal computer at home, and I’ve connected to different internet providers (I’ve got two internet providers, one of which is a mobile network) and I’ve cut out all other activity, disconnected all NAS drives and I’m not running any heavy duty programs whilst doing the upload, yet I’m still having issues accessing the main task bar after say 10mins of oDrive running, meaning I cannot send you a diagnostic (Unless there’s another way I can do this? Maybe in terminal?)

Actually, I’m seeing quite a few Amazon Drive errors too. Here’s the latest Terminal extract when I run the Waiting command:

Leas-iMac:~ LeaBishop$ python $(ls -d “$HOME/.odrive/bin/”*/ | tail -1)odrive.py status --waiting
/Users/LeaBishop/odrive/Amazon Cloud Drive/Photo Library 2017/2016/Salalah, Oman - September 2016/Capture/Video/GOPR6427.MP4 - Please check your network connection or manage your proxy settings.
/Users/LeaBishop/odrive/Amazon Cloud Drive/Photo Library 2017/2016/Istanbul - October 2016/DSC_9790.NEF - Amazon Cloud Drive error.
/Users/LeaBishop/odrive/Amazon Cloud Drive/Photo Library 2017/2016/Salalah, Oman - September 2016/Need to sort/Driving through clouds.MP4 - Please check your network connection or manage your proxy settings.
/Users/LeaBishop/odrive/Amazon Cloud Drive/Photo Library 2017/2016/SD Card/100GOPRO/GOPR0718.MP4 - Please check your network connection or manage your proxy settings.
/Users/LeaBishop/odrive/Amazon Cloud Drive/Photo Library 2017/2016/Istanbul Card Backup/102ND750/DSC_9861.NEF - Amazon Cloud Drive error.
/Users/LeaBishop/odrive/Amazon Cloud Drive/Photo Library 2017/2016/Salalah, Oman - September 2016/Need to sort/Edits/DSC_7024New Crop.mp4 - Please check your network connection or manage your proxy settings.
/Users/LeaBishop/odrive/Amazon Cloud Drive/Photo Library 2017/2016/Istanbul Card Backup/102ND750/DSC_9775.NEF - Amazon Cloud Drive error.
/Users/LeaBishop/odrive/Amazon Cloud Drive/Photo Library 2017/2016/Salalah, Oman - September 2016/Capture/Video/GOPR6445.MP4 - Please check your network connection or manage your proxy settings.
/Users/LeaBishop/odrive/Amazon Cloud Drive/Photo Library 2017/2016/Istanbul - October 2016/DSC_9248.NEF - Please check your network connection or manage your proxy settings.
/Users/LeaBishop/odrive/Amazon Cloud Drive/Photo Library 2017/2016/Istanbul Card Backup/102ND750/DSC_9789.NEF - Amazon Cloud Drive error.
/Users/LeaBishop/odrive/Amazon Cloud Drive/Photo Library 2017/2016/Istanbul - October 2016/DSC_9294.NEF - Amazon Cloud Drive error.
/Users/LeaBishop/odrive/Amazon Cloud Drive/Photo Library 2017/2016/Istanbul - October 2016/DSC_9068.NEF - Amazon Cloud Drive error.
/Users/LeaBishop/odrive/Amazon Cloud Drive/Photo Library 2017/2016/SD Card/100GOPRO/GP010713.MP4 - Please check your network connection or manage your proxy settings.
/Users/LeaBishop/odrive/Amazon Cloud Drive/Photo Library 2017/2016/Salalah, Oman - September 2016/Need to sort/Driving through Salalah and Desert.MP4 - Please check your network connection or manage your proxy settings.
/Users/LeaBishop/odrive/Amazon Cloud Drive/Photo Library 2017/2016/Salalah, Oman - September 2016/Need to sort/Projects/Adobe Premiere Pro Video Previews/Salalah Trip 2016.PRV/Rendered - 45acf31f-a1ef-45a6-88bc-d06cd5f69fc8.mpeg - Please check your network connection or manage your proxy settings.
/Users/LeaBishop/odrive/Amazon Cloud Drive/Photo Library 2017/2016/Sunrise over Muscat.mov - Please check your network connection or manage your proxy settings.
/Users/LeaBishop/odrive/Amazon Cloud Drive/Photo Library 2017/2016/Salalah, Oman - September 2016/Need to sort/Driving back from Job’s place.MP4 - Please check your network connection or manage your proxy settings.
Leas-iMac:~ LeaBishop$

Hi @bishbash89,
These errors look consistent with what I was seeing before (although less detailed). Amazon Drive throwing network exceptions or unexpected exceptions on upload. Are these particular files large?

Amazon is notoriously bad with uploads, especially large uploads. Its gets much worse if you you don’t have a blazing fast upload speed. The get to 100% and then restart is most frustrating behavior of Amazon. I go into it more in this post here: Recurring problem with upload to Amazon drive

There are certainly things we can do better to combat this (and we have developed these things in our upcoming version), like not upload so many files at once, which just exacerbates this behavior… but sometimes Amazon is just a bit of an a-hole with these uploads.

If you notice the same files uploading over and over, I generally recommend pulling them out of the odrive folder for a bit, letting some other stuff sync up, and them placing them back in, a couple at a time, to sync up. It adds work, but it will greatly increase your cahnces of getting thes files uploaded and out of the vicious cycle.