Odrive not launching at startup, vanishes from task mgr (Win10)

Hi, everyone,

Just tonight, odrive stopped launching with Windows (10) and when I manually start it, it shows up in the Task Manager for 30-60 seconds and then vanishes! Also, it no longer shows up in the taskbar, so there’s no right-clicking, syncing, etc.

Here’s what I’ve done so far:

• restarted
  • repaired the setup (modify setup);
  • right-clicked on icon (it still shows up on list of startup programs!) to run as admin.

Nothing works!

Any ideas? THANKS!

Hi @vantagesmg,
Can you try running odrive using this command from a command prompt? You can open up a command prompt by clicking on the Windows icon in the taskbar, typing “cmd”, and then clicking on “Command Prompt”.

Once the command prompt is open, copy and paste the following command in (all one line) and hit enter. This will run the main odrive application and hopefully spit out some useful information. Please wait until the process closes and then copy and paste the output or take a screenshot of the command prompt window and post it here:

powershell -command "&{$bin=$(ls \"$HOME\.odrive\bin\" | sort Name -desc | select -f 1).FullName; Start-Process \"$($bin)\odriveapp.exe\";}"

Thanks!

Hi, Tony,

Here’s the results, which make me wonder if somehow magically odrive isn’t even on my computer anymore…?! Thanks for helping. :slight_smile:

C:\Users\Chez>powershell -command "&{$bin=$(ls “$HOME.odrive\bin” | sort Name -desc | select -f 1).FullName; Start-Process “$($bin)\odriveapp.exe”;}"
Start-Process : This command cannot be run due to the error: The system cannot
find the file specified.
At line:1 char:76

• … desc | select -f 1).FullName; Start-Process “$($bin)\odriveapp.exe”;}
  •                               ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (:slight_smile: [Start-Process], InvalidOp
      erationException
    • FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvalidOperationException,Microsoft.PowerShell.C
      ommands.StartProcessCommand

Hmm… okay let’s try running the launcher from a command prompt, and see if it is having issues dropping the main binaries where they need to be:

powershell -command "&{& \"$env:programfiles\odrive\odrive.exe\" \"-v\" 2>&1 | echo;}"

Also can you grab the file for me at C:\Users[Your User Name Here]\.odrive\odrive.log and post it here, when you get a chance? The “.odrive” folder is a hidden folder, so you may need to enable showing hidden files/folders in Explorer.

Thanks!

Okay, Tony, here’s the command prompt text and the file is attached.

Got WindowsError exception [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “”, line 177, in main
File “C:\hudson\workspace\Odrive_Win_Master_Launcher\deploy\output\artifacts\build\odrive\WinOdrive\out00-PYZ.pyz\src.odrive_app.Launcher”, line 167, in launch
File “C:\hudson\workspace\Odrive_Win_Master_Launcher\deploy\output\artifacts\build\odrive\WinOdrive\out00-PYZ.pyz\src.odrive_app.Launcher”, line 121, in _launch_app
File “C:\hudson\workspace\Odrive_Win_Master_Launcher\deploy\output\artifacts\build\odrive\WinOdrive\out00-PYZ.pyz\subprocess”, line 711, in init
File “C:\hudson\workspace\Odrive_Win_Master_Launcher\deploy\output\artifacts\build\odrive\WinOdrive\out00-PYZ.pyz\subprocess”, line 959, in _execute_child
WindowsError: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified

Could not launch, which means the app is already running

odrive.log (552.5 KB)

Thanks. This is strange, indeed.

Can you look to see if C:\Users\Chez\.odrive\bin\6014\odriveapp.exe exists?

Do you have any anti-virus running or other software that could be interfering?

Thanks!

Tony,
That file exists, but it’s in C:\Users\Chez.odrive\bin\5997
I do have the folder \6014, but the file isn’t there.

A few months ago I switched from Windows Defender to Webroot Security Anywhere (AV). Windows Firewall is in place and odrive is on my exceptions list.

Would uninstalling and reinstalling help? I just don’t know what could be interfering. I’m happy to run any other diagnostics you think will reveal the culprit!

THANKS!
-Francesca

Hi @vantagesmg,
Is it possible to add a path to the exceptions for your anti-virus, so that the .odrive folder is excluded? I am wondering if it is deleting the file when it is written there.

After doing that, exit odrive and then run this command in a command prompt. I am hoping this will fix things up. It will “reset” the bin directory, which seems to be incomplete, and then start odrive:

powershell -command " & {Stop-Process -erroraction silentlycontinue -processname odriveapp; ren \"$HOME\.odrive\bin\" \"$HOME\.odrive\bin_bak\";del \"$HOME\.odrive\version\";Start-Process -NoNewWindow \"$env:programfiles\odrive\odrive.exe\";sleep 30;del -recurse \"$HOME\.odrive\bin_bak\"}"

It might be best to disable your anti-virus temporarily before running this command, too.

Thanks!

Tony!
Once again, you have shown your brilliant genius!

odrive started up on its own as soon as the code finished running. And I’ve added it to the AV exceptions.

You’re the best, thank you so much!

-Francesca

Glad you are back in business Francesca!

Thanks for being so patient and swift with your replies.

Have a great weekend!

1 Like