Odrive no longer running after resume from sleep

I’m running Mac OS Mojave (10.14.2) with the 6497 build of odrive.

On a very regular basis I notice that odrive is no longer syncing and has disappeared from the menu bar. Restarting it brings it back online without any issue.

I suspect that it’s crashing/exiting when I sleep my machine but haven’t been able to confirm it’s only gone when I resume from sleep.

What is the best way to diagnose the cause of the last time odrive exited when I see this happen?

Hi @perrykrug,
Are you able to reproduce this manually by causing your Mac to sleep and then waking it again?

We don’t have a way to track the exit of the app, buy you cant take a look at the following things:

• Open the Console app (type console in spotlight search) and filter for odrive at the top right. Make sure to hit return after entering odrive for the filter to take effect. See if there is anything here that stands out during the time that the odrive app may be disappearing.
  • In the Console app, click on “System Reports” on the left-hand side, under “Reports” and see if there are any reports with odrive in the name around the time of the disappearance. Do the same for “User Reports”.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this. I was able to grab a few log messages while odrive was still shut down:
May 23 07:04:14 MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.oxygen.odriveapp.DBB8488B-5D8D-436B-AEA6-5FCFC97FFB53[5799]): Caller wanted oneshot behavior for pre-existing instance: caller = Preview
May 23 07:04:14 MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.user.504): Service “com.apple.xpc.launchd.unmanaged.FinderSyncExten.5799” tried to register for endpoint “com.oxygen.odriveapp.macExtensionService” already registered by owner: com.apple.xpc.launchd.unmanaged.FinderSyncExten.904
May 23 07:04:14 MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.user.504): Service “com.apple.xpc.launchd.unmanaged.FinderSyncExten.5799” tried to register for endpoint “com.oxygen.odriveapp.macExtensionService1” already registered by owner: com.apple.xpc.launchd.unmanaged.FinderSyncExten.966
May 23 07:04:14 MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.user.504): Service “com.apple.xpc.launchd.unmanaged.FinderSyncExten.5799” tried to register for endpoint “com.oxygen.odriveapp.macExtensionService2” already registered by owner: com.apple.xpc.launchd.unmanaged.FinderSyncExten.968
May 23 07:04:14 MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.user.504): Service “com.apple.xpc.launchd.unmanaged.FinderSyncExten.5799” tried to register for endpoint “com.oxygen.odriveapp.macExtensionService3” already registered by owner: com.apple.xpc.launchd.unmanaged.FinderSyncExten.1159
May 23 07:04:14 MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.user.504): Service “com.apple.xpc.launchd.unmanaged.FinderSyncExten.5799” tried to register for endpoint “com.oxygen.odriveapp.macExtensionService4” already registered by owner: com.apple.xpc.launchd.unmanaged.FinderSyncExten.4960
May 23 07:10:35 MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.oxygen.odriveapp.1E530DDD-50B5-4FCB-AEBC-17C238434855[5831]): Caller wanted oneshot behavior for pre-existing instance: caller = Preview
May 23 07:10:35 MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.user.504): Service “com.apple.xpc.launchd.unmanaged.FinderSyncExten.5831” tried to register for endpoint “com.oxygen.odriveapp.macExtensionService” already registered by owner: com.apple.xpc.launchd.unmanaged.FinderSyncExten.904
May 23 07:10:35 MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.user.504): Service “com.apple.xpc.launchd.unmanaged.FinderSyncExten.5831” tried to register for endpoint “com.oxygen.odriveapp.macExtensionService1” already registered by owner: com.apple.xpc.launchd.unmanaged.FinderSyncExten.966
May 23 07:10:35 MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.user.504): Service “com.apple.xpc.launchd.unmanaged.FinderSyncExten.5831” tried to register for endpoint “com.oxygen.odriveapp.macExtensionService2” already registered by owner: com.apple.xpc.launchd.unmanaged.FinderSyncExten.968
May 23 07:10:35 MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.user.504): Service “com.apple.xpc.launchd.unmanaged.FinderSyncExten.5831” tried to register for endpoint “com.oxygen.odriveapp.macExtensionService3” already registered by owner: com.apple.xpc.launchd.unmanaged.FinderSyncExten.1159
May 23 07:10:35 MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.user.504): Service “com.apple.xpc.launchd.unmanaged.FinderSyncExten.5831” tried to register for endpoint “com.oxygen.odriveapp.macExtensionService4” already registered by owner: com.apple.xpc.launchd.unmanaged.FinderSyncExten.4960
May 23 07:10:40 MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.oxygen.odriveapp.FCFB35A8-B898-4CED-B6D3-200EC14ACBF3[5835]): Caller wanted oneshot behavior for pre-existing instance: caller = Preview
May 23 07:10:40 MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.user.504): Service “com.apple.xpc.launchd.unmanaged.FinderSyncExten.5835” tried to register for endpoint “com.oxygen.odriveapp.macExtensionService” already registered by owner: com.apple.xpc.launchd.unmanaged.FinderSyncExten.904
May 23 07:10:40 MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.user.504): Service “com.apple.xpc.launchd.unmanaged.FinderSyncExten.5835” tried to register for endpoint “com.oxygen.odriveapp.macExtensionService1” already registered by owner: com.apple.xpc.launchd.unmanaged.FinderSyncExten.966
May 23 07:10:40 MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.user.504): Service “com.apple.xpc.launchd.unmanaged.FinderSyncExten.5835” tried to register for endpoint “com.oxygen.odriveapp.macExtensionService2” already registered by owner: com.apple.xpc.launchd.unmanaged.FinderSyncExten.968
May 23 07:10:40 MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.user.504): Service “com.apple.xpc.launchd.unmanaged.FinderSyncExten.5835” tried to register for endpoint “com.oxygen.odriveapp.macExtensionService3” already registered by owner: com.apple.xpc.launchd.unmanaged.FinderSyncExten.1159
May 23 07:10:40 MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.user.504): Service “com.apple.xpc.launchd.unmanaged.FinderSyncExten.5835” tried to register for endpoint “com.oxygen.odriveapp.macExtensionService4” already registered by owner: com.apple.xpc.launchd.unmanaged.FinderSyncExten.4960

Hi @perrykrug,
The messages shown don’t point to a crash or exit of the app. These are mostly warnings dealing with the odrive Finder extension. They should be benign and may correlate to the number of Finder windows open.

Are you able to trigger the odrive app exiting when causing your system to sleep?

I am running the same OS version (10.14.2) and I haven’t been able to reproduce this behavior yet through many sleeps, including " Safe Sleep" (when they battery is very close to dying). odriveapp has been running for over a week, so far.

Do you have any other persistently running apps on the system, especially any other sync-related applications or applications that have a Finder extension component? You can check the Finder extensions by going to the MacOS “System Preferences”->“Extensions”

You can also try running this one-liner in a terminal to see when the odrive app exits. This can help narrow down when it is happening. When odrive is not running, the script will print out the time and stop.
while [ $(ps aux | grep -i /odrive$ | wc -l) != 0 ]; do sleep 1; done; echo "odrive stopped $(date)"

Hi @Tony, coming back around to this again. I don’t know exactly when odrive exited, but I was looking up in my menu bar and didn’t see the icon again. There’s not much logging this time, but seems like it exited fairly recently:
Jul 1 17:21:47 MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.oxygen.odriveapp.BD2DF389-A6B6-47C0-9F66-7D1FDC728DBA[10432]): Caller wanted oneshot behavior for pre-existing instance: caller = Preview
Jul 1 17:21:47 MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.user.504): Service “com.apple.xpc.launchd.unmanaged.FinderSyncExten.10432” tried to register for endpoint “com.oxygen.odriveapp.macExtensionService” already registered by owner: com.apple.xpc.launchd.unmanaged.FinderSyncExten.469
Jul 1 17:21:47 MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.user.504): Service “com.apple.xpc.launchd.unmanaged.FinderSyncExten.10432” tried to register for endpoint “com.oxygen.odriveapp.macExtensionService1” already registered by owner: com.apple.xpc.launchd.unmanaged.FinderSyncExten.6430
Jul 1 17:21:47 MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.user.504): Service “com.apple.xpc.launchd.unmanaged.FinderSyncExten.10432” tried to register for endpoint “com.oxygen.odriveapp.macExtensionService2” already registered by owner: com.apple.xpc.launchd.unmanaged.FinderSyncExten.553
Jul 1 17:21:47 MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.user.504): Service “com.apple.xpc.launchd.unmanaged.FinderSyncExten.10432” tried to register for endpoint “com.oxygen.odriveapp.macExtensionService3” already registered by owner: com.apple.xpc.launchd.unmanaged.FinderSyncExten.1621

There’s nothing else in the system log, system reports or user reports.

I do have some other apps running that have a Finder extension, are you suggesting that they are causing issues with odrive or am I looking to see if any of them are similarly affected? As far as I can tell, all my other apps don’t have a problem and are always running. I’m using “istats”, “iconping”, “skype”, “sophos” and they all keep their menu bar icon while “odrive” is the only one that disappears on me.

Any other suggestions?

Hi @perrykrug,
Thanks for the follow-up!

Are you able to try running the one-liner in the terminal?

To do this, perform the following steps:

1. Make sure odrive is running

2. Open a terminal session (type “terminal” in Spotlight search):

3. Copy and paste the following command into the terminal and hit enter:
    while [ $(ps aux | grep -i /odrive$ | wc -l) != 0 ]; do sleep 1; done; echo "odrive stopped $(date)"

This command will monitor the odrive process and print out the date and time when odrive exits. If you can keep this terminal window up we can see exactly when the odrive process goes away and then try to correlate that time to anything else.

Thanks Tony, I have that command running now and will report back the next time I discover it has exited. Is there any other logging that can be improved or enabled within odrive to capture more about why it exited?

1 Like

Hi @perrykrug,
I don’t know what else can be done for logging, yet, but I’m hoping by pinpointing the exit of the app we can get some additional ideas of what is going on.

Once you see the app exit again, and can get the exact time, can you do the following?

• In the Console app, click on “System Reports” on the left-hand side, under “Reports”
  • Are there any reports with odrive in the name at the time of the disappearance.
  • Click on “User Reports", which is also under “Reports” on the left-hand side.
  • Are there any reports with odrive in the name at the time of the disappearance