Odrive moving files to system trash

Odrive is moving files from my synced Google Drive to my system Trash. Why would it do this??

Here’s a folder:

Notice the gaps before and after the selected image.

Here’s the trash. I didn’t throw out any of these files myself; Odrive decided by itself that maybe I didn’t want these photos anymore.

Is Odrive safe to use?? This seems crazy to me. I had another question about it creating tons of duplicates and then throwing them out, but now it’s just throwing files out without making duplicates.

1 Like

It would only let me put one image per post so here’s the trash.

Can you submit a diagnostic so I can take a look? Do you see anything listed in the odrive trash (in the odrive tray menu)?

I submitted a diagnostic.

Odrive shows a bunch of files in its own trash, but these are all correctly there—I renamed all of those files by removing the extra parenthetical number. None of the files in the system trash are in the Odrive trash.

(Interestingly, though it says there are 1308 files in the Odrive trash, it only shows maybe 100 in the menu. Is there a way I can see all of them?)

Thanks!

After initial review it appears that odrive is receiving information from Google Drive that these files have been deleted. I am still looking through it, though. For these files, do you see them in Google Drive using the Google Drive web app. If not, are they in the Google Drive trash (again, looking in the Google Drive web app)?

Just to double-check, this is the only computer and odrive is the only application interacting with your Google Drive data?

I do see some photos in the trash on the Google Drive website but it looks like they’re different ones (and I didn’t delete them myself). I think I need to go through and undelete all of those as well.

This is the only computer and Odrive is the only application that is interacting with Google Drive.

Still investigating, but taking IMG_3202.JPG, which is in your OS trash, do you see that in Google Drive’s web app in its original location?

Hi @nikolaus.wittenstein
After taking a deeper look and discussing internally, we believe we understand the cause. Before our more recent releases (lastr few weeks), our duplicate name mitigation for Google Drive was more aggressive and complex. Google is the only source that will allow duplicate file and folder names to exists, which ends up presenting some unique challenges. In addition, they sometimes do not give us an accurate listing of the files in a directory, which we believe is caused by some eventual consistency latency in some scenarios.

We have since decided to make our handling more predictable, so we no longer will try to show all of the iterations of duplicate names, if they exist in Google Drive. Instead we will only show the latest.

For your case, it appears that there may have been a few things that culiminated in what you see. The root has to do with discrepencies in our persisted tracking of files that still reflected the old style and that interaction with the new style. It should resolve out, but it seems like in your case it has not.

The safest way to proceed, and to get everything back in order is to do the following:

1. Deauthorize the odrive desktop client. You can do this by navigating to Authorized User -> Deauthorize in the odrive tray menu. Then re-login/auth the odrive desktop client. This will rename your current odrive folder (as a backup) and create a new, fresh odrive folder that is all placeholder folders, to start.
  2. Go through your Google Drive folders, particularly the one(s) where you were seeing these issues, and check for duplicate filenames. If you see them, it is best to create unique names for the files that are seen more than once. You should do this through the Google Drive web application.

After this it is possible to move the previously cached files (now sitting in the backup odrive folder) into the new folder, so you do not have to download any files again. If you do want to do this, do it in small batches first, just to make sure that the result is what is expected (files will be marked with a green checkmark without needing to re-upload.

Please let me know if you have any questions on the above.

Thanks for your patience and assistance in troubleshooting.

Tony,

I’ll give that a shot! Thanks so much for taking a deeper look and spending time on this investigation.

I haven’t tried these steps yet, but I did try moving all of the files back out of the trash into the folders they came from. Odrive synced for a while, and threw them all back in the trash for me! Very mysterious… hopefully the de-auth/re-auth will straighten everything out.

Thanks!

1 Like