Odrive is syncing the external HD to the cloud (with Premium account) and I take/connect it to another computer, what could happen?

Hi,
I’m a indie filmmaker and I work a lot with video editing so I have a lot of data. I want to use my old Linux Netbook to backup/sync my external hard drives to the cloud using Odrive. I need to archive all in the cloud, and with my bad internet connection it will take long (months) to sync everything, so I prefer to use the old netbook working day and night backing up and leave my work computer (Mac) just for my work hours. I’m thinking of getting the Premium package, but I have some questions to make before I get it.

My questions are:

1. If the sync from the external HD (Linux Netbook) to Amazon Cloud Drive is over/finished and I take/connect the HD to my Mac, Odrive will recognize the HD (that was on the Linux Netbook) and will sync just the new stuff that I introduce into the HD and not sync the whole HD again?

2. If the sync from the external HD (Linux Netbook) to Amazon Cloud Drive is not over/finished and I take/connect the HD to my Mac, Odrive will recognize the HD (that was on the Linux Netbook) and will continue syncing (from point it stops on the netbook) and not sync the HD from the beginning?

2a) And if I end the work on my mac and take/connect the HD back on the Linux netbook, Odive will continue syncing (from point it stops on the Mac) and not sync the HD from the beginning?

Sorry if its confuse, english is not my first language. :slight_smile:

Thanks.

Hi @rafhob,

1-2a) odrive will do its best to determine what is new and what already exists in the cloud. If you have the same local path on the external drive mapped to the same remote path, my expectation is that it would only upload files that have not yet been synced to that remote location.

Since this appears to be a backup-only type of scenario, we are working on a backup feature for odrive that will specifically cater to this use case. It sounds like “full sync” (as opposed to backup) is probably going to be much heavier than you need.

1 Like

For a little more clarification, do you often move that external hard drive between systems? Ideally it would remain on one system and any other systems would interact with the data via the Amazon Cloud Drive directory via odrive.

1 Like

Yes normally move my external hard drive between systems. My main system is Mac OSX, but sometimes I need to work in windows and Linux. You guys could implement a external storage cross platform system, that Odrive could manage the sync between systems “on the fly”. Exemple: Stops the syncing on windows but when I connect the hard drive on Mac Odrive continues syncing from the same spot that left on windows.