oDrive is re-syncing all my files again, caping my internet usage

Hi,

I’ve just received a notification from Comcast, saying that I have used all my internet capacity (1.2TB) and I will be charged for every 50GB extra. When I checked, odrive is re-syncing the items that I already had on my drive and Amazon Cloud Drive. I had to stop the sync to avoid the extra charges.

How can I fix this so it goes back to normal?

Hi @armontoya ,
Can you send a diagnostic from the odrive tray menu and also attach the sync activity log so I can take a look at the activity to determine why odrive is syncing?

I tried to attach the activity log but it is too big. What can I use to send it? The diagnostics have been send.

Hi @armontoya ,
I increased the maximum attachment size. The activity log should rotate after 10MB, so it should be enough now. If not, can you upload via the odrive web client and then create a shared link?

main.log (9.4 MB)

Hi @armontoya ,
It looks like odrive is attempting to upload updates to several files. It likely can’t because your Amazon Drive subscription has expired and the storage is full.

I recommend moving the Amazon Drive folder to another location on your computer and then unlinking Amazon Drive from the odrive web client to prevent any deletes from ocurring due to Amazon deleting data on the remote side. We don’t want odrive syncing to Amazon Drive anymore because of the current Amazon Drive account state.

The storage is almost full, that is true, but the service is paid until 1/21/22.

How can I recover all the files that odrive concerted as .cloud?

I’m sorry to bother you but I don’t understand what updates is trying to do, since those files were synced a long time ago…

Hi @armontoya ,

Okay, I thought this was the same as the Amazon Drive storage that expired. How full is the storage right now?

.cloud files can be downloaded to the local system. You can do this with a right-click->sync action on the folder, if you want to download everything in the folder. More information about that here.

Our latest version has added some additional logging to the sync activity log that will show why odrive thinks these files have changed. Can you try installing the latest version and then letting odrive try to sync a few items again? The log will record the difference that odrive sees and that will tell us why it is trying to upload.

1. 94%
  2. OK. Is there a way to disable that behavior so I don’t have to download all my files again?
  3. OK, I will

Hi @armontoya ,

1. This should be enough to complete these uploads, so there may be something else going on. Let’s see what the new logs say.

2. It doesn’t look like you have auto unsync enabled, so files should not be unsyncing on their own. Are these files being converted to placeholders on your local system, or are these new remote files that you want to always download automatically?

3. Thanks! When you are able, please provide the updated logs and I will take a look.

Hi @armontoya ,
I just wanted to follow-up on this.

Are you still experiencing this issue and were the new logs helpful in showing why odrive was uploading files?

No. Thanks God it was fixed with the update. Do you have an auto update for the software?

1 Like

Hi @armontoya ,
Thanks for the follow-up!

That version was actually pushed out to our auto-updater a couple of hours after my last post on May 3rd. I’m glad to hear it resolved the issue.

ok, how can I stop odrive to convert my local files to CLOUD files? I need all my files on my main computer and not to be downloading them. I have folders with thousands of files…

Hi @armontoya ,
As long as you do not have an auto unsync rules defined, you should not have any downloaded files turn into placeholders.

If you want to sync everything in a folder you can use the right-click->sync action to do that.

recursive_sync_win

The example above will download everything in that folder that currently exists on the remote storage down to your local system.

recursive_sync_folder_sync_rules

This 2nd example will also apple a “folder sync rule” to the folder, so that any new remote content that is added will be automatically downloaded to your local system.

Keep in mind that odrive performance will be impacted as you sync more and more folders to your local system (converting from placeholders to real folders) because it is more data/information that odrive has to actively track and maintain active synchronization with. This is why we always recommend leaving folders that you do not need immediate access to as placeholders. It helps to keep things snappy for the data you need at that time.