Odrive Finder Extension consumes too cpu (22%) but no synch processes it's esecuting

Hi @william.melatini,
This is strange behavior. How long does it take for the extension to become checked again after unchecking it?
It should stay like this once you uncheck it:

If you close all of your Finder windows and relaunch Finder (To do this: Hold the ⌥ (alt/option) + right click on the Finder icon in your dock -> Relaunch) does the CPU remain high?

Do you have any other Finder extensions loaded? If so, can you unload (uncheck) those and see if the behavior changes?

odrive finder extension is always present in Activity Monitor with 10%/12% of cpu usage. I haven’t problem with OSX Tab Extension where it reamain always checked.

After Finder Re-lunch on Acativity Monitor “odrive finder extension” reaper immediatly with same cpu usage (about 12%) also if odrive app isn’t active.

Hi @william.melatini,

Are you able to uncheck it? Please uncheck the odrive Finder extension and leave it unchecked, if possible.

Let’s try these steps:

1. Uncheck the Finder Extension, so it is not enabled in extensions.

2. Relaunch Finder
    58%20AM

3. In Activity Monitor, if there are still odrive Finder Extension processes, kill them.

This should get rid of that troublesome Finder extension that is causing high CPU. I want to make sure these steps can be performed and the extension is killed before we do more testing.

Can you also tell me if you have any other Finder extensions installed? Are there any more extensions listed besides the odrive extension in the Extensions screen?

if i uncheck odrive finder extension from system settings and reluch finder, from task monitor i haven’t cpu problem. But without finder extension actived i can use odrive in the same way?

Hi @william.melatini,

Basic odrive functionality will work without the Finder extension.

odrive will still automatically sync your locally-changed files, update remotely changed files if you have them synced locally, download files when you double-click them, expand folders when you double-click them, etc. You will not be able to right-click->sync a folder or perform the other right-click actions and you will not see sync badges.

Are there any other extensions listed besides the odrive extension in the Extensions screen?

No, only the app and one/two or three odrive finder extenzion. Thanks for support

Hi @william.melatini,
Unfortunately we are not able to reproduce the type of behavior you are seeing here. It seems like it may be something specific to your environment that is causing this, but I don’t know what that could be.

Can you take a screenshot of your extension window (like the one below), and post here so I can make sure it looks correct?

No, only the app and one/two or three odrive finder extension.

this happen into my Activity Monitor and not into OSX Extension Tab. This is like yours

Hi @william.melatini,
Aer you still running version 10.13.3? Are you able to update to the latest version, 10.13.6?
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1969

I don’t know if it will help this particular issue, but I am just looking at things that are different between our machines here and yours. Our High Sierra machines are running 10.13.6 and not exhibiting this behavior.

ok, thanks. i have 10.13.3 osx version. i’ll update.

thanks.

1 Like

Hello - I have been getting this issue on the 10.15 beta - I thought it was specific to 10.15 as it doesn’t happen on my 10.14 laptop (and didn’t before I upgraded), but after seeing this maybe not. I see many odrive finder extensions processes each taking up around 10% CPU. If I uncheck the extension and relaunch Finder it goes away but it turns itself back on again after a day or so. The longer the extension is running the worse it gets. It’d be great to be able to use the extensions again, or at least to be able to turn the extension of once until it’s fixed.

I sent through a diagnostic report.

Thanks!

11%20pm

Hi @joe1,
When you uncheck the extension, relaunch Finder, and then check the extension again (to turn it back on), what is the CPU activity?

When odrive launches it will turn the odrive extension on, so that may be why you see it being re-enabled.

Can you also tell me a little bit about your odrive config? How many files and folders is odrive currently tracking on your local system?

Hey Tony, thanks for your response. Yes, when I check the extension back on it does have high CPU activity, the screen from my last post was after I re-enabled it.

To be clear here are my steps to reproduce:

1. Boot machine.
  2. Machine has high CPU activity and 7 FinderSyncExtension processes (causing that load)
  3. Uncheck extension
  4. Relaunch Finder
  5. Wait for a minute or two
  6. Machine has low CPU activity and 0 FinderSyncExtension processes
  7. Check extension
  8. Relaunch Finder
  9. Wait for a minute or two
  10. Machine has high CPU activity and 4 FinderSyncExtension processes

I have the following attached to odrive:
Amazon Cloud Drive
Dropbox
Google Drive
OneDrive

My odrive folder currently has 2206 files and 628 folders, but there are a lot of .cloudf files that I don’t have synched to my machine so there are a lot more than that on the cloud storage in total. I can probably work that out if it helps.

The high load issue doesn’t seem to occur on my Mac laptop running 10.14, it has 3 FinderSyncExtension processes none with high activity. I’m using 6535 on both machines. I’m thinking it’s something about my machine as the config should be the same for both machines.

If you think it might have something to do with the config, I could remove it from my machine, then make a trial account and see if the issue still occurs, would that be helpful?

Odrive is awesome, so I’d be happy to do anything I can to help get this resolved.

Thanks again,

Joe

Hi @joe1,
Thanks for all of the details. Can you give this build a shot and see if it improves the behavior at all? https://www.odrive.com/s/dca0c9c9-8070-43c5-bb69-7cdefffcccd7-5d8c0b2d

Another thing to take note of: When you exit odrive, do the FinderSyncExtension processes use less CPU or the same?

Thanks Tony - unfortunately the load is about the same with the new build (6537). Both in 6535 and 6537 quitting odrive using the menu doesn’t appear to affect the FinderSyncExtension processes CPU usage. I’m happy to profile a debug build if the devs want to see where the high CPU usage is coming from. Here’s a screen from profiling the FinderSyncExtension process in 6537 that the devs might be interested in.

It could be something related to the way 10.15 now handles the read-only filesystem.

Thanks @joe1!

The stat calls are definitely unexpectedly long. On my system they are less than 1ms. Do you have any network drives mounted on that system?

In any case, seeing this gives me an idea that may help the situation. Stay tuned…

No network drives, I do have a bunch of external drives connected though so I disconnected them to see if it made a difference but the activity didn’t change. I ran a profile on system calls and indeed the stats are taking a long time, but only with the FinderSyncExtension processes.

There’s a burst of stats coming from FindSyncExtension about once every second.

Thanks for the ongoing support.

Hey @joe1,
Give this build a shot. It reduces the background stat calls being made so it should hopefully provide some decent results :crossed_fingers: https://www.odrive.com/s/0085dbc3-5fc1-473d-aba7-0910fc0d592f-5d8c40b4

That one looks good! Awesome, thanks heaps for that, it’s good to have the sync/unsync finder menus back :slight_smile:

Thanks again.

1 Like

Great! Thanks for all of the helpful info Joe!

Edit:
The latest versions of the odrive desktop client now have this fix, as well.