Odrive file will not open when I double-click

Odrive file will not open when I double-click it. I am using Windows 10. How do I open a file?

Hi @howard.forbes,
Did it work before?
Did you recently change anything on the system that would affect odrive’s ability to open .cloudf or .cloud files?
Can you take a screenshot of what you see when you double-click on a .cloud/.cloudf placeholder file?

When you right-click->open with on a cloud or cloudf file, what is listed?
You can set it to OdriveOpen by choosing a different app and then navigating to C:\Users\youusernamehere\.odrive\common\bin\OdriveOpen.exe

The .odrive directory is hidden, so you will need to make sure that you have hidden files and folders checked in the Windows Explorer options.

Aloha Tony,

Thank you very much for responding to my email. FOllowing, I tried to answer your questions as best I can. MY answers are outlined in bold type.

Did it work before? Not sure … This is a new installation, and I did not try before.
Did you recently change anything on the system that would affect odrive’s ability to open .cloudf or .cloud files? Possibly, I moved files around. I moved Odrive from C: to D:. Odrive is not present on the C: Drive.
Can you take a screenshot of what you see when you double-click on a .cloud/.cloudf placeholder file? Screenshot follows: When I click on the placeholder foldes for Music or Videos nothing happens at all. If I right-click and use the open command, nothing happens. I would like to be able to open the folders, see what is inside them, and from time to time open one of the files.

Inline image 1

When you right-click->open with on a cloud or cloudf file, what is listed? When I right-click on the folder, I get the following menu choices. When I select Open Web Preview, I get a listing of the root directory for that folder. (That’s a help!)

Inline image 3

Following is the root directory listing for the folder Videos:

Inline image 2
You can set it to OdriveOpen by choosing a different app and then navigating to C:\Users\youusernamehere.odrive\common\bin\OdriveOpen.exe

The .odrive directory is hidden, so you will need to make sure that you have hidden files and folders checked in the Windows Explorer options. The Windows option to show hidden folders has been on, and Odrive is visible in the root of my second drive (D:). Please see below. When I right-click the Odrive folder, I get two options: (1) sync, and (2) Refresh (see below). I do not see an option to OpenDrive. Question: What do you mean when you say “by choosing a different app” because I did not do that.

Inline image 4

Inline image 5

Inline image 6

Many thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Regards,

Howard

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 4:01 AM, Tony @ odrive noreply@odrive.com wrote:
Tony Tony odrive Team
January 19
Hi @howard.forbes,
Did it work before?
Did you recently change anything on the system that would affect odrive’s ability to open .cloudf or .cloud files?
Can you take a screenshot of what you see when you double-click on a .cloud/.cloudf placeholder file?

When you right-click->open with on a cloud or cloudf file, what is listed?
You can set it to OdriveOpen by choosing a different app and then navigating to C:\Users\youusernamehere.odrive\common\bin\OdriveOpen.exe

The .odrive directory is hidden, so you will need to make sure that you have hidden files and folders checked in the Windows Explorer options.

Hi @howard.forbes,
Your images didn’t come through, but let’s try stepping through the “open with” process.

First, right-click on a .cloudf placeholder file and select “Open with”:

You should see the “OdriveOpen” option listed, under normal circumstances. Since it seems like you do not have this option, we will want to set it ourselves. Click on “More apps”:

Then scroll all the way to the bottom, check the “Always use this app to open .cloudf files”, and click on “Look for another app on this PC”

Navigate to C:\Users\youusernamehere\.odrive\common\bin\OdriveOpen.exe. Note the “.” before in the “.odrive” folder name. This is a hidden folder, so make sure you can see hidden files and folders.

Select OdriveOpen.exe and that should set the extension handling properly for “.cloudf” files. You will need to perform the same action with “.cloud” placeholder files too.

Hi Tony,
I followed your example, navigated to the hidden folder and chose OdriveOpen.exe, but it’s still not doing anything, similar to the comments above. I double click on the folder and nothing. Any other thoughts? Thanks!

Hi @danlinsky,
Are you able to right-click on a placeholder and sync it that way?
Is odrive running?
If so, can you send a diagnostic from the odrive menu?

Hi Tony,
When I right click, I only see the normal Windows Explorer menu. Nothing regarding odrive. odrive is running. I just unlinked my folder and linked it again. No luck. I sent diagnostics, so hopefully that will shed some light. One note is that my odrive is on an external HD. odrive recognizes that drive and will open the drive/folder I specified from the odrive menu.

Hi @danlinsky,
We don’t officially support moving the odrive folder to an external drive (internal drives are fine). It can work, but it can also cause some unexpected issues.

Are you able to try a reinstall of odrive to verify that things work properly with the odrive folder in the default location?

What is the recommendation when you want to sync large amounts of data to Amazon Cloud and you only have 256 SSD internally? The only drive I have big enough to keep files in sync are my external hard drives. Thanks!

Hi @danlinsky,
We have a feature called “sync to odrive” that allows you to create sync relationships with folders outside of the odrive folder. It is a Premium feature, but you can make use of it during the 7-day trial. We also offer a no-questions-asked, full refund if you cancel your subscription with 30 days of purchase, so you can effectively use Premium features like “sync to odrive” for 37 days without any risk to your wallet, to see if it is right for you.

More on that feature here: https://docs.odrive.com/docs/manage-sync#section-sync-external-folders