Odrive crashes several seconds after being loaded

Hi,
Few days ago I started to encounter a problem loading Odrive. It just crashes right after the tray icon appears.
I uninstalled (using the terminal command) then reinstalled and everything was fine but a day later and the same crashes appears again and odrive can not be loaded.
I am using the latest build of odrive 6696, the latest ver of macOS 10.15.5.

Hi @leiboavi,
Can you perform the following steps, please?

1. Open a terminal session (type “terminal” in Spotlight search):

2. Run the following command in the terminal session (copy & paste + Enter):

Command:
    bindir=$(ls -d "$HOME/.odrive/bin/"*/ | tail -1); echo $bindir; "${bindir}odriveapp.app/Contents/MacOS/odrive"

This will run the odrive app and I’m hoping it will print something out to the terminal that can give us a clue as to what may be happening.
Can you please copy and paste anything that is printed out here?

Was anything changed on your system recently? (software added, OS updated, new drives connected, etc…)

nothing is changes on my system - other than latest updates in macOS
here is the response from the terminal command :

Last login: Sat Jun 6 09:25:34 on console

The default interactive shell is now zsh.

To update your account to use zsh, please run chsh -s /bin/zsh.

For more details, please visit https://support.apple.com/kb/HT208050.

Avis-iMac:~ avi$ bindir=$(ls -d “$HOME/.odrive/bin/”*/ | tail -1); echo $bindir; “${bindir}odriveapp.app/Contents/MacOS/odrive”

/Users/avi/.odrive/bin/6696/

Illegal instruction: 4

Avis-iMac:~ avi$

Thanks for the information @leiboavi.

Can you check if there are any crash reports generated when this happens?

Crash reports can be found in the “User Diagnostic Reports” section of the Console. Type console into Spotlight to find and open the console.

If you can find any crash reports for odrive, can you post them here so that I can take a look?
Was the latest update you installed the “MacOS 10.15.5 Supplemental Update” that was released a few days ago?

yes, the latest update was the supplemental update

here is the crash report of odrive (its very long so I attached the relevant file ):

odrive_2020-06-06-201414_Avis-iMac.crash (224.3 KB)

Thanks @leiboavi!
It looks to be related to the filesystem events (events we register for to know when activity has happened in an odrive folder). I am still investigating, but can you tell me about your system?

It looks like its an iMac. Can you tell me what year/version it is?
Do you have any external drives or peripherals connected to your system? If so, can you describe them?

I have an 2019 iMac 21.5".
I use it with an external 2 Tb SSD
I use odrive to sync multiple folders from google drive - some to my iMac’s Ssd and some to this external SSD (using sync to odrive premium feature) .
I have regular folders with family photos and work documents and also a folder with several big sparse bundle images (band size 8MiB) which are being synced to my google drive account - I use them as a backup method. up until now I had no problems … now I realised that I added a 500gb image last week , it was syncing fine but odrive didn’t finish the sync yet, maybe this is what’s causing the problems?

I appreciate all of the information @leiboavi.

I am creating a test build that allows the filesystem event stream creation/processing to be disabled. We can see if that at least allows you to use odrive.

While that is being done, I was hoping you could run a little test for me on your system and disconnect your external drive and then start odrive. When you do that, does odrive stay running?

Hi @leiboavi,
Edit This option has been officially released: Desktop Release (06-13-2020) Win v. 6608 / Mac v. 6701

Before you install this, if you could quickly test the odrive behavior when your external drive is disconnected, I would greatly appreciate it.

Steps to install/use:

1. Delete the odrive_user_general_conf.txt file in the root of the odrive folder.
  2. Install the build above
  3. When odrive starts, it should recreate the odrive_user_general_conf.txt file, which will have a new option in it.
  4. Open odrive_user_general_conf.txt and change "disableFSEvents": false, to "disableFSEvents": true,
  5. Restart odrive (or start, since presumably odrive crashed again).

What this setting will do is disable the filesystem event registration/processing, which is where the crash appears to be. With this disabled, changes that you make in odrive folders will not be immediately seen if you are not inside the odrive folder at the time. For example, if you edit a file with an application and you do not have a Finder window open to the folder where the file is being edited. To compensate for this, when events are disabled, the local scan interval is shortened to 10 minutes. This means, at worst, it will take 10 minutes for odrive to look at your odrive folders in the background and see the local change. You can also kick off an immediate “look” if you browse into the folder via Finder or right-click->refresh on the folder.

Hi,

When I disconnected the external ssd odrive was loading without crashing!
Regarding the test build - I installed it but the installation deleted all my settings so I need to resync all the different folders - I don’t have time now to do it, I can try it later. also the installation created a new odrive folder, moving the old one to “odrivebackup…” and there is no odrive_user_general_conf file in the new folder.

avi

update - the file appeared - the build actually reinstalled odrive as fresh installation. I edited the file and later will try to resync all folders

Hi @leiboavi,
Thanks for the update!

The install should not have changed your settings or installed fresh. Sorry about that. I’m not sure why that happened since I didn’t change anything relating to that and my own upgrade testing worked as expected. I will have to take a look to see how that could occur. Can you provide me with the name of the backup folder created? That may give me some clue.

Hi ,
I don’t mind the fresh install - I managed to sync everything very fast, everything is working fine now… no crashes. can you tell me again what is changed in the odrive app ? it will take 10 min to sync changes ? also in an external folder (not in the main odrive folder)?

Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 22.06.12

Thanks @leiboavi!

Yes, the local scan will be done approximately every 10 minutes, even on external “sync to odrive” folders.

@leiboavi,
Can you tell me what file system your external drive is formatted with? I am trying to reproduce this issue, but so far I have not been able to, so I want to mimic your configuration as much as possible.

Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

1 Like