Odrive crashes after launch

Hello,
I read in another thread about: bindir=$(ls -d “$HOME/.odrive/bin/”*/ | tail -1); echo $bindir;"${bindir}odriveapp.app/Contents/MacOS/odrive", I have executed that command, here is the result.

bindir=$(ls -d “$HOME/.odrive/bin/”*/ | tail -1); echo $bindir;"${bindir}odriveapp.app/Contents/MacOS/odrive"
/Users/spotted/.odrive/bin/6777/
Exception in thread initialize_mounts_in_threads:
Traceback (most recent call last):

ServiceStoppedException: code stopped

Hi @dvd.pugliese ,
The version running here is pretty old (from sept of last year), which is really odd since you should’ve been auto-updated long ago. It may be that the command you are running above is picking up an older version in the bin folder.

Can you try installing the latest version from here?

Hello,
I tried what you said and this is the result:
❯ bindir=$(ls -d “$HOME/.odrive/bin/”*/ | tail -1); echo $bindir;"${bindir}odriveapp.app/Contents/MacOS/odrive"
/Users/spotted/.odrive/bin/7087/
2021-05-11 06:36:30.909 odrive[2281:15651] 1 (null)
[1] 2281 illegal hardware instruction “${bindir}odriveapp.app/Contents/MacOS/odrive”

On my third attempt it works, so it’s all a matter of luck.
    ~   ILL ↵  took 5s   at 06:36:36  
❯ bindir=$(ls -d “$HOME/.odrive/bin/”*/ | tail -1); echo $bindir;"${bindir}odriveapp.app/Contents/MacOS/odrive"
2021-05-11 06:36:43.072 odrive[2311:16756] 1 (null)

Now it died again:
2021-05-11 06:36:43.072 odrive[2311:16756] 1 (null)
[1] 2311 segmentation fault “${bindir}odriveapp.app/Contents/MacOS/odrive”

Hi @dvd.pugliese ,
Can you tell me the model of Mac you are running and post a screenshot of the “About This Mac”? (You can leave out the serial number.)

Example:

Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 9.19.21 PM

Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 9.19.38 PM

We recently updated some internals in the app and I’m wondering if the optimizations don’t fully support the hardware you are running.

Thanks @dvd.pugliese.
What year was your Mac Pro manufactured?

Did these issues start happening after installing a recent version of odrive?

Well, these issues started out of nowhere.
As you could see I was still on September 2020 odrive.

Where can I find the older release? I would like to try with the latest before M1 code got into your build.

Hey @dvd.pugliese,
I think the old version was a version that may have lingered in the bin folder and is a bit of a red herring. I found a diagnostic of yours earlier today that showed you were already running 7087. This came in before my initial response to this thread suggesting you install 7087. Do you know if that version installed as part of your own troubleshooting today, or was it possibly installed on Friday, or over the weekend?

If I can nail down the timeline I have a better shot of figuring out what it might be, if it is odrive-related. My initial guess is the recent changes/optimizations in 7087, but if this issue started happening before that was installed then it less likely that it is related to a change we made in the software.

Installing an older release won’t really help, unfortunately, because odrive will end up immediately auto-updating it.

OK, please keep me updated.
I use odrive to sync my notes amongst different computers as well so it’s been part of my workflow for quite a while.

Thank you.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
Davide

Hi @dvd.pugliese,
I am looking at creating a test version with certain components from before the optimizations but can you answer these two questions for me?

1. When did this problem start happening on your system?
  2. What is the output of this terminal command: sysctl hw.model

Hello,
iMacPro1,1
The problems started quite recently, I guess no more than roughly a week.
I noticed this issue yesterday for the first time.

Worst case scenario with an older version I might try to block the updates with LittleSnitch.

Hi @dvd.pugliese ,
Can you try this version and see if it behaves better on your system?

Hi @dvd.pugliese,
Were you able to give the test version a try yet? If so, did it change any behavior on your system?

Hello,

all of a sudden the weird behavior disappeared.

I have a feeling that it was related to a connection issue.

I experienced some packet loss, etc.
I have upgraded the firmware of my router and for the moment it is ok.

I have also bought a new router too which should solve any connection issue definitively.

In any case I have installed your version also, so far it seems ok.

Hi @dvd.pugliese ,
Thanks for getting back to me! That is definitely strange.

In that case we will probably not roll back the optimizations we made. The test build removed those optimizations, so is it okay if I create another build with those optimizations back in for you to test to make sure that things still work?

Yes, that’s ok with me.

Thank you,
have a great weekend.

Since all of the issues I had because of the weird behavior of my router,
I was thinking that maybe you need to put a try catch inside a try catch to handle connection failures or
maybe you should have something like a heartbeat to verify if there is a connection. Right now it seems that basically you just check if the hardware is connected (my wifi adapter), you should ping a destination on boot and if you get a reply then proceed with logging in on odrive.
It’s only a guess.

Hi @dvd.pugliese ,
Can you try this version, when you get a chance?

For network detection, we actually already do that, but there was something odd happening in this case that was causing an illegal instruction termination of the process (terminated by the OS).

Hi @dvd.pugliese ,
Can you try our latest version and let me know if everything seems to work well?

We would like to roll-out our changes in an auto-update, but I am hesitant because of what you were seeing. If you can confirm that our latest release doesn’t exhibit the behavior you were seeing before then I think we should be okay.