Not detecting file changes and syncing them

I sync my code folder to ACD. I code with Xamarin Studio and am used to working on computer A, closing Xamarin, opening on computer B and continuing however, odrive doesn’t seem to recognize the changes to files on computer A - I don’t see them reflected in ACD web and hence being replicated to Computer B.

If I edit files in other apps, like Visual Studio Code, I do see sync occurring. Any ideas? Is this a problem with Xamarin?

btw, if I move the content to Documents and sync using native iCloud Documents and Desktop, the sync occurs but repetitive builds of the app generate multiple files names name 1, name 2, name 3 - so there’s evidence that file handling in Xamarin is odd.

I wondered if the use of ACD may affect things? Should I try other stores like S3 or Google Drive/Cloud perhaps? Is there a ‘best’ for sync like this?

Thanks,
Michael

Hi @michael1,
I am not familiar with Xamarin Studio. Can you give me some details on the files that are not syncing (names, locations, etc…)?
Do you see any files listed in “not allowed” or “waiting” in the odrive tray menu?
Can you send a diagnostic from the odrive tray menu for me?

Thanks!

Thanks for taking a look.

Xamarin Studio is an IDE for developing C# apps on Linux/Mac/Windows, etc. for Web, iOS, Android, etc. I’ve used it for many years, it used to be called MonoDevelop.

The files that don’t get synced include regular project files .aspx and .cs code files but also, the resulting built executables that get dropt into the bin/Release or bin/Debug folders.

I just uploaded the log after I edited three files and re-built the app - that should have generated about a dozen file changes. I noticed that odrive reacted but hasn’t synced all of the files. It’s synced state.aspx.cs, scratch pad.txt which is great but it’s not included the file myfooddays.dll in the bin folder. It seems erratic more than outright broken. I caught the problem after discovering old code on machine B… and panicking a little :slight_smile:

Nothing in the waiting or not-allowed lists.

Let me know know if I can add anything else.

Hi @michael1,
I took a look and I see that myFoodDays.dll seems to be uploaded, in a few locations, actually.

odrive seems to be uploading it, so it is strange that you do not see it. Can you provide the full path to a location you are expecting it in?

How are you verifying that the file is uploaded? Are you given the option to unsync it locally? If so, is it able to sync it back down?

Thanks!

The full path to the file is /Users/michael/Documents/Code/myFoodDaysDev/myFoodDays/bin/myFoodDays.dll

That folder is synced and shows the ‘sync’ choice.

I downloaded the version from ACD and used cmp to see that it was in fact the same. I collected the older version copy from computer B and dropt that into another folder that I also sync - it didn’t appear on computer A until I chose refresh on computer A. Also, the file, now shows that it matches in all places.

It doesn’t seem 100% - should it be? And, as part of my original questions, is ACD the right service for sync - I’d read previously that it didn’t support ‘modified date’ meaning that all sync checks have to be MD5’d. I was still wondering if there’s a ‘best’ backend to sync to.

At the moment, other than not alway automatically triggering, it seems to be working.

Thanks.

Just wondering if you had a view on the best sync platform for best performance. Also, if I’m suffering from potential sync issues, is it better to sync several small folders or one large folder, i.e. should I place the Code folder in the Documents folder and sync that or, separate the folders and sync them independently?

Forgot to follow-up on this one yesterday.

Amazon doesn’t support storing modtime, natively, but we store it in their file metadata so that we can retrieve it. This means, as long as you are using odrive, you will have the proper modified dates.

Amazon has some restrictions on how often we can ask them for changes, which is why you may see a delay in auto-reflecting remote changes. They will be picked up, but it may not be instant. As you’ve seen, a refresh or even browsing to the location will get immediate reflection. Uploads of new content should always be immediate, however, unless odrive is busy with other things (uploading other files, for example).

As for the best storage service, it really depends on what you need. There isn’t a perfect one. Each one has its own set of positives and negatives. Amazon Drive is the best bang for you buck and works pretty well for everyday, single-user use, for example, especially with odrive.

Separating things out can help in terms of easier identification of what is happening and can give a little bit more efficiency for sync. The greatest tool for making things light and snappy is unsyncing sections that you do not need, reducing the scope that you and odrive have to worry about. If you have your entire cloud structure exposed locally, for example, that can create a very large surface area and slow responses to the specific, small areas you are actually working out of.

Tony,

Many thanks for the insight into odrive’s workings - it makes complete sense, answers the question and confirms the unconfirmed. Knowing this will allow me to make the best use of the tool - thanks again!

1 Like