Moving, Copying, and Syncing Files Between Services (Storage Clouds)

It would be great if this was possible (or is it?), even with the 0 size placeholder files.

I tried to copy one of them to another folder on another service and it just auto-deleted. Actually the same thing happened within the same service which I was not expecting, i could only create folders and new files. It would be great to work with the placeholder files to organize, move, delete and copy across all services.

I assume the desktop app could manage the transfers of downloading and then uploading to the other service without needing to save the file on to the local computer necessarily.

Does PRO offer all these features as well as desktop external folder syncing?

Thanks

9 Likes

Hi,
We agree that this would be a nice feature, but it is not something we currently support. There are lots of complexities for this type of feature.

Right now, if you want to copy content from one cloud to another using odrive you will have to sync the content you need down and then move it over to second service.

For more information:

1 Like

When will file transfer of unsynced data between drives be available? Thank you for a wonderful product!!

I’d like to double the same request, if odrive can make it work. A few multi-cloud services offer direct cloud-to-cloud file transfers with varying degrees of success & reliability, but not yet perfect, depending on what cloud storage service providers are involved and the size of the files.

One major problem with odrive’s current solution of download-from-Cloud_#1-then-upload-to-Cloud_#2 cloud-to-local-to-cloud file transfer is that one will take a double hit on one’s ISP bandwidth limit; unless you’re lucky to have unlimited bandwidth, but not in my case.

For example, if your ISP limits your usable upload/download bandwidth to 500gb per month, you can only transfer up to 250gb (much less if you’re normal and normally surfing the web and downloading/uploading other stuff) worth of files between clouds, before your ISP either cuts you off, throttles down your up/down speeds, and/or charges you extra fees for usage over their designated limit. Having to transfer a bunch of big files doesn’t make this solution feasible, neither is downloading/uploading/surfing the web at a slower speed more enjoyable.

One other downside is that it takes more time to complete the 2-step file transfer process, rather than just a “quick” 1-step. One will have to keep the computer on until all of the files have been successfully transferred over, which can take many hours or even days, depending on the amount and size of the files and one’s up/down speed (and worse if your ISP cuts you off or throttles down your up/down speeds midway). To some people, they’ll get too impatient and frustrated with the long process, especially if they have to micromanage it, waiting for the completion of one set of file transfers before starting up another batch of files to transfer; and worse yet if you’re a mobile laptop user on the go.

It would be nice if odrive can incorporate a true speedy and reliable direct cloud-to-cloud file transfer and manager with a set-and-forget feature which will continue the long file transfers through the cloud even without the computer being kept on.

Another one on my growing odrive wish-for/wait-for/hopefully-soon list.
Keep us abreast. Cheers!

1 Like

+1, Please add this feature.

Can I sync my onedrive files to googledrive cloud directly without the PC files, cloud to cloud please ?

Hi @web.maestro,
This is not something that is currently supported but is a possibility for the future.

It would be useful if you supported cloud to cloud backup and/or sync with odrive2. Any plans for that?

Hi @mark.ericson,
This is something we’ve discussed, but it is not planned.

How about now? …

Hi @mcshanedaniel1,
Direct cloud to cloud transfer requires a new type of service to be created and is not something we have planned.

Not the same, but related: We introduced a backup feature that allows backup from a local folder to multiple storage services (https://www.odrive.com/features/backup). I know it is not the same as what is being asked here, but may fit use cases for some folks.