Microsoft.vc90.crt.manifest couldn't be extracted error

I’m an old user of Odrive. Sometime ago, i had to temporarily uninstall odrive, in order to get my pc organized, and since then, every time i try to install it i get the above error message.
I’ve read and tried everything i could find about it, by i just can’t get odrive to run.
Note: the error appears like a small message over the installation window of odrive, and when i dismiss the message, odrive window says installation was successful. When i try to run it, this message shows again and nothing more appends.
I’m really getting desperate with this. Using the browser as a turnaround won’t work for me.
Any help/suggestion would be highly appreciated.

Hi @picada,
Can you try running odrive using this command from a command prompt? You can open up a command prompt by clicking on the Windows icon in the taskbar, typing “cmd”, and then clicking on “Command Prompt”.

Once the command prompt is open, copy and paste the following command in (all one line) and hit enter. This will run the odrive launcher and hopefully spit out some useful information. Please wait until the process closes and then copy and paste the output or take a screenshot of the command prompt window and post it here:

powershell -command "&{& \"$env:programfiles\odrive\odrive.exe\" \"-v\" 2>&1 | echo;}"

Thanks!

Hi! I am having a similar issue installing the Odrive application.

I attached a screen shot of the information I got when running your suggested command prompt. Can you help me to troubleshoot this? I have done everything!
I disabled our firewall during the install.
I ran the sxstrace.exe in command to find and fix any corrupted files, this did not work.

Any suggestions?

Hi @moneil,
I haven’t actually seen this error reported before for odrive, but I know it usually means that there may be a bad configuration or some corruption of the installed files.

Questions:

• Are you also seeing the “Microsoft.vc90.crt.manifest couldn’t be extracted” error?
  • It looks like you were running the cmd shell as administrator. Can you try running it ad your normal user, also? I just want to see if the error is the same. Please post a screenshot of the output, as you did before.

In general, the first thing I would try is a repair installation, if you haven’t already. To do this you would just download the latest odrive version and run it (https://www.odrive.com/downloaddesktop?platform=win). If you already have the latest installed it will give you the option to repair, otherwise it will perform an upgrade.

• What are the results after trying that?

Thank you for your help! I am not getting any errors at all when I run the install exe. It runs fine and then I go to launch the program and I get a pop-up with the same error that shows in the cmd prompt screen shot. I attached a screen shot of the event log showing the error.

I have tried to run the repair and uninstall and reinstall. Same thing every time. This is now happening on 3 different user’s machines.
Are you able to provide a manifest file that I can replace the one I have with? since it appears to be error on that file.

Hi @moneil,
Thanks for the additional information! We haven’t had any other reports of this, and these files haven’t changed in a really long time, so this is very strange.

Can you please do the following?

• Zip-up your C:\Program Files\odrive folder and send it over to me so I can take a look at the contents

• Run sxstrace using the following steps:

• Open Powershell and run the command: sxstrace.exe Trace -logfile:odrivetrace.log
    • Double-click the the odrive.exe executable in C:\Program Files\odrive to run it
    • Once the error occurs, press enter to stop the trace
    • Run the command: sxstrace.exe Parse -logfile:odrivetrace.log -outfile:odrivetrace.txt
    • Attach the odrivetrace.txt file here

I will work on getting this information for you, but in the meantime can you take a look at your download files here under the Windows option: (Set Up Your odrive)
I now have 5 users that are using this install file and every single one is failing on this same error. We have tried to uninstall and reinstall and repair. Could the download files stored here be corrupt?

Hi @moneil,
I’ve tested using the latest installer from the download page (Set Up Your odrive) on a fresh Windows 10 and Windows 11 installation and they both started-up with no issues. We also haven’t had any other reports of this issue after thousands of downloads of the latest version.

It sounds like there is something specific to your environment that is triggering this.

Something I experimented with was just removing the mfc and msvc files in C:\Program Files\odrive. I have some more testing to do, but these files may no longer be needed in the installation. After removing the application still starts-up without any issues. Maybe you can give this a shot?

To do so remove the following 11 items from C:\Program Files\odrive:

• Remove all of the mfc* files dated 6/11/2015 (there are 4 items)
  • Remove all of the msvc* files dated 6/11/2015 (there are 3 items)
  • Remove the Microsoft.VC* files and folders (there are 4 items)

I am hoping that this may eliminate whatever environment conflict is being encountered on your systems.

If that doesn’t work, there are some other possible fixes that are discussed in the following links:
.NET repair utility: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30135

MSFT Fix it utility: Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed - Microsoft Support

Repair/update latest local VS c++: https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/Download/confirmation.aspx?id=48145

Hi @moneil,

Can you please try this new version (7228) and let me know if it resolves the issue you are seeing?

To install:

1. Exit odrive from the odrive tray menu
  2. Download the installer from the above link
  3. Install

Thanks!

Thank you!!! I have been trying this for weeks and this finally worked! Will this link to the download ever expire? I want to distribute this out to other employees and as their projects get added to Procore over the next year I want to make sure they will be able to access this install file.
Thank you again for your help!

Hi @moneil,
Great! Thanks for the follow-up.

We will need this to go through a full QA cycle, but as long as it passes these changes will be included from here on out in subsequent versions.

Just let me know if you run into anything!