(Mac) Client crashes when I try to Sync

I just installed the client on a new machine.

Every time I right-click any .cloudf item and try to “Sync / Download: Nothing / √ Include subfolders”, odrive immediately quits.

“Manually opening” a .cloudf works most of the time, but is not practical for 10s of thousands of items.

(Using Amazon Cloud Drive, Google Drive, and Dropbox)

Hi @Zero_G,
There was a similar report of a crash recently, but I didn’t hear back from the user on it. Can you see if you can find any crash reports on this?

You can find the reports by going to Finder -> Go -> Go to folder and then pasting this in:
~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/

If you have some can you PM them to me?

I don’t see crashes very often. Do you have any software that could be blocking communication (firewall, anti-virus, or endpoint protection software)?

It is also possible to see this if you accidentally have more than one instance of odrive running. When you look at the activity monitor, do you see only one “odrive” process running?

In the meantime, you can you try running a CLI command and see if you have better results.

To use the CLI commands from Mac:

1. Open a terminal session (type “terminal” in Spotlight search):

2. Run the following command in the terminal session (copy & paste + Enter):

exec 6>&1;num_procs=2;output="go"; while [ "$output" ]; do output=$(find "[path to odrive folder to sync here]" -name "*.cloudf" -print0 | xargs -0 -n 1 -P $num_procs python $(ls -d "$HOME/.odrive/bin/"*/ | tail -1)odrive.py sync | tee /dev/fd/6); done

Change [path to odrive folder to sync here] to the desired odrive folder path.

The above command will expand all folders in the given path, but not download any files. If you wanted to download the files too, you would run this command:

exec 6>&1;num_procs=2;output="go"; while [ "$output" ]; do output=$(find "[path to odrive folder to sync here]" -name "*.cloud*" -print0 | xargs -0 -n 1 -P $num_procs python $(ls -d "$HOME/.odrive/bin/"*/ | tail -1)odrive.py sync | tee /dev/fd/6); done

OK, cool, that seems to be working.

I increased $num_procs to 10, even faster.

Curious, why python and not the binary? Would the binary be faster?

Thanks!

Hi @Zero_G,
The CLI just tells the sync engine what to do, so there wouldn’t really be any performance improvement with the binary CLI.

1 Like