Linux GUI Support

Hi there, paying customer who’s been using odrive on macOS, Windows and Linux for a long time, and very happy with it. However, I really think its high time the Linux version had a GUI. Considering this issue has been requested for a LONG time - 6 years to be exact (I found a feature request for this on this forum from 2016) - I think its high time it is put on the development roadmap.

Each time this is mentioned, a developer says they ‘definitely understand the use case’ but that this is ‘not on the development roadmap’. May I ask, why not? I know you guys must be extremely busy building what is, in my opinion, the best sync system on the planet, but, come on - this is a GUI; a front-end for the existing CLI would be more than enough. I don’t even care about file notification integration or whatever, just a simple GUI to tell odrive what folders I want synced is more than enough.

I personally would be more than happy to donate money to this if its a resources problem, and I’m pretty sure many Linux users would follow suit. Please, seriously consider this.

Thanks, and keep up the fantastic work.

Hey @keithv,
You are right! We have been too long without a Linux UI.

The truth is that a Linux UI hasn’t been able to reach a significant priority level in relation to the many, many other things that need to be done. That certainly doesn’t mean that it isn’t a legitimate feature, or that it shouldn’t be done. It basically is a resource problem, as you guessed, but it has more to do with implementation and maintenance cost and how that relates to overall company priorities, rather than monetary cost.

I know this just sounds like more of the same answer… I wish I could provide some sort of timeline or assurance that it will be done, but all I can say is that we very much appreciate your patronage and your feedback, which is seen at the highest levels of the company.