Launch .cloud files from within apps

As I always start off, thank you for a great product! I am still passing on the good words about odrive to friends and coworkers. Even better, I realize it has been quite a while since my last new question. (Still waiting for the backup feature…by this point it must be frustrating you all as well as us).

It would really be helpful when trying to open files that have been ghosted (replaced with .cloud) if odrive would recognize the request and sync the file so it can continue to open. Far too often I try to open a recent file via the Start menu or Recents folder only to be receive:

Note Windows doesn’t provide a convenient “Open file location.” It’s not the end of the world, but it is disruptive to have to open Windows File Explorer, track down the directory, then double click on the file.

On a separate note, thank goodness .cloudf files no longer appear in my drives! Can’t remember if that was a setting or update, but thank you!

Hi @Chris.D,
Thanks for using odrive! I’m glad to hear you are enjoying it.

As for the issue above, unfortunately I don’t think there is anything we can do about this behavior. The problem is that Windows cannot associate a .cloud file with a non-cloud file. When you see the file listed, it is a reference to the non-cloud file, so when you click on it Windows tries to open it at that specific path. Since the file is now unsynced and has the .cloud extension, Windows won’t find it. It also won’t communicate any of this to odrive, so odrive is fully unaware of the whole process.

.cloudf files are still around, but they are only seen on unsynced folders. If you have expanded all of your cloud folders, then you won’t see any .cloudf files. If you right-click->unsync a folder, you will see that it turns into a .cloudf placeholder.