Keep content on local drive and in the cloud with Free odrive

Hello,

I am using the free version of odrive and I just noticed that all of the files I uploaded to Amazon with odrive are no longer on my external hard drive. These files were my iTunes files, which means I can no longer sync my devices with my computer/external hard drive. Is there a way to re-download all of the content back to my external and then have odrive just sync the files between my external and Amazon without deleting the files locally?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Gavin

Hi,
odrive shouldn’t be removing any files on its own unless the files were removed, or moved in the cloud. Are you seeing placeholders instead of the files, or are they just missing entirely? Are they still in Amazon Drive in the correct location?

Can you tell me how you uploaded those files? Did you use “sync to odrive” with the external drive, or did you copy or move the files from the external drive into the odrive folder?

Hi Tony,

That is what I thought, but the files that were on my external hard drive (that I used odrive to sync to my Amazon Cloud drive) are no longer there. If I remember correctly, I used the “sync to odrive” feature to sync the files to Amazon. How would you suggest I go about getting the files downloaded back to my external hard drive?

Thanks,

Gavin

Hi @gmreeg62610,
When you look at your external drive, do you see any placeholder files, or is it completely empty?

Hi @gmreeg62610,
To expedite this, you can always create a new folder on your external hard drive with the same name as the remote folder where your files are. Then right-click->“sync to odrive” on that folder. You will then choose the corresponding remote folder.

Once setup you will see all of the placeholders representing the remote data you want locally. At this point you can perform a recursive sync to pull everything down:

Hi Tony,

The issue is that I no longer have the premium service, just the free service. I set odrive up while receiving the premium services as a trial and it is my understanding that the recursive sync (auto-download) is only a premium feature. Knowing this information, what are my options? I really appreciate your help!

Thanks,

Gavin

Hi Gaving,
Recursive sync is available in the free version, actually, but “sync to odrive” (mapping a folder outside of the odrive folder) is a Premium feature.

We do offer a no-questions-asked, instant, full refund if you sign-up for Premium and then cancel within 30 days. You could take advantage of that to make use of the “sync to odrive” feature and re-populate your external drive without any risk.

Just let me know if you have any questions about this.

Hi Tony,

I’ve done as you’ve instructed, but the files are not downloading back to my external. It started downloading and then stopped. Any ideas how to restart this or force it to continue downloading?

Thanks,

Gavin

Hi @gmreeg62610,
How far did it get? It is possible it started hitting exceptions that caused it to abort. This was discussed a bit in this thread here, which I think parallels what you may be hitting: Big Folder not syncing - The file doesn't exist

I think you are using OS X, so we can apply a similar tactic and use the CLI to essentially “download until done” using this command:

exec 6>&1;num_procs=4;output="go"; while [ "$output" ]; do output=$(find "$HOME/odrive/Dropbox" -name "*.cloud*" -print0 | xargs -0 -n 1 -P $num_procs python $(ls -d "$HOME/.odrive/bin/"*/ | tail -1)odrive.py sync | tee /dev/fd/6); done

Yes, it is an ugly one-liner, but the above command will download everything in the odrive Dropbox folder using 4 concurrent workers. It won’t stop until everything has been downloaded.

To use the command, open a terminal session and copy and paste the full command in, changing “$HOME/odrive/Dropbox” to the folder you are wanting to sync down.

Please let me know if you have any questions. If you happen to be running Windows instead of OS X, you can grab the script in the forum post I referenced above.

Hi Tony,

This process was working until I received an error message stating I was out of storage space. After a little research, it looks as if this files being downloaded were going to my odrive folder instead of my external hard drive. Can I just drag the downloaded file from my odrive folder (in finder) to my external hard drive? If so, will the download continue? If not, should I just delete what has been downloaded so far and start over? If so, what do I need to change in the terminal command you sent?

Thanks,

Gavin

Hi @gmreeg62610,
You would need to change “$HOME/odrive/Dropbox” to the “sync to odrive” folder on your external drive, whatever that path is. Probably something like “/Volumes/something/”. Make sure you have a “sync to odrive” folder already setup there and can see the placeholder files to be downloaded. If you don’t know what I mean by this, let me know.

If you already have a folder setup and can see the placeholders on your external drive, you can copy the files over that have already downloaded to the external drive and odrive should consider them in sync. At that point you could run the script against that location to download the rest.

Again, if you have any questions on the above, please let me know before trying anything.

Thanks!

Hi Tony,

Is there any chance we could jump on a quick phone call later today so that you can help me get everything fixed?

Thanks,

Gavin

Hi @gmreeg62610,
Can you send a diagnostic over from the odrive tray menu? I can take a look at what you have setup and provide the proper path for downloading.

Hi Tony,

I just sent over the diagnostics. My overall goal is to re-download everything from my Amazon Cloud Drive to my external hard drive. Specifically my iTunes folder.

Thanks for all of your help.

Gavin

Hi @gmreeg62610,
It looks like you are still having some storage issues on your main drive. You should first right-click->unsync on the /Users/NUMB3RS/odrive/Amazon Cloud Drive/iTunes folder to free up that space. You will be downloading all of that stuff on the external drive, instead (see below).

Here is the command you can run to download everything on your external drive (/Volumes/GR’s HD):

exec 6>&1;num_procs=4;output="go"; while [ "$output" ]; do output=$(find "/Volumes/GR'S HD" -name "*.cloud*" -print0 | xargs -0 -n 1 -P $num_procs python $(ls -d "$HOME/.odrive/bin/"*/ | tail -1)odrive.py sync | tee /dev/fd/6); done

Hi Tony,

Still getting a bunch of error messages and all of my content isn’t downloaded to my external drive yet. I downloaded the latest version of ODrive that Jeff sent me, but it didn’t seem to fix anything. What are our next steps to get all of my content re-downloaded to my external?

Hi @gmreeg62610,
Can you tell me what errors you are seeing?
Are files still downloading, or have things stopped completely?
What are you seeing from the output of the script you ran above?