Issues with PDF's appearing in Procore

Good afternoon,

I have set all my folders to sync with Procore and succeeded with them appearing. However, the images and pdfs that are syncing will open nor download from Procore unless I have opened them through my desktop first. This is forcing me to go through each folder that is being synced and open it before it can be opened by anyone else.

Please advise how to make this process seamless, thanks!

Hi @aquichocho,
Thanks for reaching out.

What you are describing sounds very strange, so I may be missing something.

The files that are uploaded to Procore will be accessible to anyone who has the proper access permissions to them in Procore. Other user’s ability to access those files has no relation to the state of the items on your personal system.

The only thing I can think of that sounds like what you are describing is if you have the odrive client installed on a centralized file server, are trying to host Procore files out to users over SMB shares, and wanting odrive to perform the intermediate upload/download between the files server and Procore. Is this how things are setup?

I don’t believe anything is set up out of the ordinary and everyone is able to access the see the file is in Procore, but when they try to download the file adobe sends an error message. I have uploaded the messages below.

Hi @aquichocho,
Can you tell me where these files are coming from, originally? odrive will upload files, bit for bit, as they appear on the local system, so there should be no difference between the files on your system and their remote versions that were uploaded.

Can you explain this part?
The files can be opened once you download them?
What are the steps being taken here?

Can you please also send a diagnostic from the odrive tray menu, so I can take a look at the configuration?

Thanks!

We use a program called Jotform which allows us to integrate with Dropbox. So all submissions upload to a folder on our dropbox. I have dropbox on my desktop and I sync through Odrive to Procore from the dropbox. So if I open the file in dropbox on my desktop first then it’ll open in Procore. If I don’t open it on my desktop first it won’t open in Procore, and that is my dilemma.

Hi @aquichocho,
Okay, I think I understand. You are targeting the items in your local Dropbox folder for upload to Procore, using odrive, correct?

1. Are you using the odrive “sync to odrive” feature for this?

2. odrive is uploading the files, but it sounds like it is uploading the Dropbox file “stubs/placeholders” that Dropbox uses, instead of the actual file. Is that correct?

3. Dropbox should be downloading the files automatically when they are being opened for upload, but I guess that is not happening?

4. If you tell Dropbox to download the files, then odrive is able to upload a “correct” files to Procore. Is that correct?

5. I didn’t see a diagnostic come in yet, can you please send that over so I can take a closer look at things?

6. Can you upload one of the pdf’s that is not able to open here? I would like to take a look at it.

Thanks!

1. Yes
  2. possibly I don’t know how to check this.
  3. it appears that way.
  4. yes
  5. I have just sent the report.
  6. when I open the pdf it open in procore.

Hi @aquichocho,
Thanks for providing this information.

It sounds like the root of the problem is that Dropbox is not automatically downloading these files locally to your system, so odrive is just uploading what Dropbox has in the folder, which are not “real” files (likely sparse files, which are empty).

Your best bet is to tell Dropbox to always have these folders downloaded locally, so that you are not relying on it to do it automatically, which is not working anyway.

I noticed that you are running a slightly older version of odrive. It is not absolutely essential, but I recommend updating to our latest version by doing the following:

1. Exit odrive
  2. Download the latest from here: Set Up Your odrive
  3. Install