Installation of odrive on windows for non-administrator users

Hello,
I discovered that when I install on windows odrive synch under a user’s session in a domain without administrator’s rights, at the installation I introduced administrator credentials and the setup process select an odrive folder under c:\users\administrator\odrive instead of c:\users\user\odrive … To achieve correctly the installation I have to give administrator’s right to the user and that’s not good (our users does not ave any administrator privileges)
It would be nice that at the installation odrive setup an odrive folder under the user session.
Bye

1 Like

Hi @administrateur,
odrive is actually installed in “Program Files” and then, when run, it will install into the user’s home directory.

When you install as another user within the logged in user’s session, odrive will start-up automatically and it will install to the process owner’s home directory (the administrator, in your case, since the process is spawned by the elevated installer). However, if you exit odrive and start it again, it should now run as the logged in user and perform as expected.

Can we expect similar behavior from the upcoming version? Or will it follow the current software paradigm of installing into some subfolder of AppData to allow for non-admin installation?

Hi @yukihyou,
It will follow the same pattern of installing to the user’s profile folder. This allows us to perform auto-updates without needing administrative privs.

1 Like

Does this mean there is a way to install odrive sync on a device without admin rights?

Hi @robertmerrill,
The full desktop app will need to be installed by a user with administrative privileges. Once it has been, it will be available to all users. This is mostly because there are shell extensions and filesystem events that need to be installed.

It is possible to install the odrive sync agent/CLI without any administrative privileges: https://docs.odrive.com/docs/odrive-sync-agent

I actually created a little context-menu add-in that could be used alongside this. It was originally to provide better feedback for screen readers, but it could be used with the CLI to provide some of the context menu options for syncing and unsyncing: Sync All for users with screenreaders (for users with visual impairment / blindness)