I can only get part of my stuff synced, why?

Hi, I’m on the Linux client, connecting to OneDrive for Business at work. I was harsh and gave a 4.5 Gb chunk of my filesystem for Odrive to sync up to OneDrive (to serve as a backup). It worked on it for a day or two and then finished (no more “Active” directories). However, seemingly random subfolders, including a 339Mb one and a 158Mb one, are simply excluded from the sync altogether. syncstate says “Not synced” without any further explanation. Other folders like a 298Mb one, have synced up perfectly (“Synced”). OneDrive shows I have 1Tb storage so that shouldn’t be a problem.

I looked at the obvious stuff like non-ascii or too long filenames, wrong file permissions, nothing apparent there.

Is there anything I’m overlooking? Or am I just overloading the system with my number of files?

Hi @m.balazs,
If you run the status command, is anything still active, or is everything idle and all queues (waiting, syncing, not allowed, trash) empty?

Have you tried restarting the agent?

This is my odrive status:
isActivated: True hasSession: True
email: accountType: OneDriveForBusiness
syncEnabled: True version: prod 916
placeholderThreshold: neverDownload autoUnsyncThreshold: never
downloadThrottlingThreshold: unlimited uploadThrottlingThreshold: normal
autoTrashThreshold: never Mounts: 1
xlThreshold: never Backups: 2

Sync Requests: 0
Background Requests: 0
Uploads: 0
Downloads: 0
Trash: 3
Waiting: 1
Not Allowed: 10

Yes, I’ve restarted the agent many times, also tried refreshing individual folders. Is there any way to find out why “Not Allowed”'s are?

Many thanks for help.

(Now moved to Waiting: 0, Not Allowed: 11, all other the same.)

Hi @m.balazs,

status --not_allowed will give details on those.

status --help will show all of the detailed options available for status.

Thanks Tony. What you wrote helps but the problem still persists. I’ve indeed cleaned a dozen of filenames and removed all *.jar files as OneDrive freaked out of them saying “You are no longer logged into Microsoft OneDrive For Business”. This made all my errors go.

But these were all completely disjoint of at least two big folders which still just won’t upload at all. There might be more, I have no way of telling without checking them one by one on the webpage. odrive status is now clean:

isActivated: True hasSession: True
email: accountType: OneDriveForBusiness
syncEnabled: True version: prod 916
placeholderThreshold: neverDownload autoUnsyncThreshold: never
downloadThrottlingThreshold: unlimited uploadThrottlingThreshold: normal
autoTrashThreshold: never Mounts: 1
xlThreshold: never Backups: 2

Sync Requests: 0
Background Requests: 0
Uploads: 0
Downloads: 0
Trash: 0
Waiting: 0
Not Allowed: 0

So it won’t even mention that there is a problem. If I go under the folders that won’t upload I simply see “Not Synced” by odrive syncstate.

What can I try next?

Update: I figured that symbolic links definitely do trouble. The few of them I had deep in the directory tree among thousands of normal files made the whole of my folder ignored. I’ve removed those now and the upload has started.

Feature request: please give an error if a folder won’t upload due to a symbolic link problem.

Many thanks for help!

… upload of those missing folders has finished and everything seems in perfect order now. Thanks again for help! I’ll now confirm Odrive to our IT as the bridge to use between Linux boxes and the OneDrive my workplace is transitioning to.

1 Like

Thanks for the updates @m.balazs.

We try to follow symbolic links, so I wonder what it was about these ones that caused things to hitch. Our current development efforts are touching on better transparency, so that these things are easier to track down.

Thanks for your persistence.

I believe the troublesome links were simply broken (they were from old times when my home folder was different). You might be able to test this by creating a faulty symlink before an initial sync up and see if it stops its entire subfolder from being considered.

I still have a few healthy symlinks and Odrive is not caught up by those.

Thanks.

1 Like