How to sync external folder properly- please

Hi odrive team,
So after almost a year of agony since Copy closed itself down, I’m still struggling to find a sync client that really work. I have tried odrive in the past but there was a lot of limitation .

Now that the product seem almost fully matured, I’m going back to see how it work for myself and see if It can benefit my workplace (since we are allowed to use different cloud services of our own choice). But the external folder feature still seem pretty confusing, so please bear with my lengthy explanation and help me clear up a bit.

First of, Let’s throw the old rotten idea of “one folder keep all” that Dropbox founder spreaded out of the question, It’s old and unorganized - and only really work for people who have no more than a handful of folder and one single drive to be synced between one or two machine, as far as I know.

The scenario is that we have some folders spread across our laptop, server, PC. Some of them are already in Dropbox, GGDrice or Amazon Cloud, some are not. Some are shared between teams and we each want to keep our local copy at wherever we want, not inside anything

**1. **
For the ones that are not in any cloud at all, when chosing “sync to odrive”, I see that a place holder is created inside odrive. File creation and modification in the original folder seem to be updated just fine (though delete operation take ages to be processed even after emptying the trash bin). Creation that occur inside here are populated back to the original folder which is great. BUT, If I ever accidentally tried to access the placeholder folder inside odrive, another copy is downloaded inside there depend on the auto download setting .
This doesn’t seem to make sense since I still have my original files outside - without the need for another copy. Please help me elaborate on this.

**2. **
For the ones that are already in one of our cloud service, I’m confused with what to do to make odrive start it comparision process, since odrive already please tons of place holder in the respective cloud folder.
Back in the day with Copy, I just need to stop the sync client - link all necessary external folder inside Copy folder - start it again and go get a cup of tea. 50000+ files can be processed this way in a couple hours if we ever need to reinstall the sync client or move cloud (using mover.io beforehand) without having to upload/download anything at all.
Please help me check if there is anyway to make odrive work this way or not (since I’m not sure if I can remove the cloud place holder then click “send” the local folder inside). Insync claim to support this, but after some troubleshooting it turned out they do not work well if folders already exited on both side when the client first setup itself and I have to request a refund.

I do understand that users and developers has different opinions regarding how we should follow links, and it does difficult to implement & maintain symlink support across platforms - which is why this “Sync to” feature that odrive manage to implemented seem like a great approach. At this point, regardless of my team’s opinion, I personally are ready to pay a sync client that really “work” twice or even three time more than we pay the cloud service itself, since none of the Google, Mega or Dropbox’s client ever managed to work in the sense of “setup and forget” like Copy did.

But the placeholder really are in the ways of people who want to keep things under control locally instead of relying too much on the network connection. So I’d appreciate if you can help me clear things up a little bit.

Hi @moophat0,

If you already have a folder syncing via “sync to odrive”, you do not need to interact with its corresponding content inside the odrive folder. You can continue to work out of the “external” folder. For example, if you linked a folder “D:\Pictures” to the “Pictures” folder in your Dropbox account, using “sync to odrive”, you can continue making your changes in D:\Pictures and not in odrive\Dropbox\Pictures. This will prevent you from downloading duplicate files within the odrive folder.

“Sync to odrive” can work on mapping existing local folders (with data already in them) to existing remote folder (with data already in them). On initialization, odrive will try to reconcile the data on both sides and endevour not to re-uploading anything if it already exists on the cloud. Is this what you mean?

Since it can be difficult to nail down the nitty gritty details of these types of use cases, I would recommend trying a few things out on a small set of test data using the “sync to odrive” feature. That way you can experiment and see the results, first-hand.

1 Like

Hi Tony,
Thank you for the prompt reply, I was busy during last week so I did not have time to expolore further. But look like leaving the placeholder insio odrive folder alone did the trick, abeilt a little bit slow.

I will start dumping half of my data on drive this week and see how it work out on case 2. If this work odrive would be the ideal solution for me and my team, thank you very much for you support. Send my regards to your devs for their great implementation.

Hi @Tony,
Look like during last week my trial has been expired, since I haven’t have the time to fully test case .2 yet I’m still a little bit reluctant to go ahead with 1 year payment (unfortunately there is no 3 month or 1 month option available). Is there any chance you guys can extend my trial to just 2 or 3 days more? Much appreciated.

Hi @moophat0,
Thanks for the reply and no worries about the delay.

We offer a no-questions-asked, full refund if you cancel your subscription within 30 days of purchase (just a couple clicks from the subscriptions page), so you can try it out for another 30 days before fully committing. Does that work for you?

Thanks Tony, I looked up the refund policy and decided to subscribe for further testing.

One last query though, look like if a folder was already “sync to odrive”, I can not do the same thing for its subfolders or parent anymore. A quick search return that odrive is incapable of syncing one local location to multiple cloud and there was multiple request so far. Do you have any plan to implement this feature yet?

Hi @moophat0,
Syncing a single folder to multiple clouds is something we plan to offer in the future, but it is probably a ways off.

I have a question relating to the following answer:
If you already have a folder syncing via “sync to odrive”, you do not need to interact with its corresponding content inside the odrive folder. You can continue to work out of the “external” folder. For example, if you linked a folder “D:\Pictures” to the “Pictures” folder in your Dropbox account, using “sync to odrive”, you can continue making your changes in D:\Pictures and not in odrive\Dropbox\Pictures. This will prevent you from downloading duplicate files within the odrive folder.

My question:
If you enable the auto-sync feature to keep the external folders constantly up-to-date, won’t it automatically download the duplicate to the odrive folder locally? Is there any way to auto-sync but prevent the duplication of local external folders into the odrive folder?

Hi @scrice,
There are a couple of options for auto-syncing.

• Auto-download, available in the odrive menu, is a global setting that will specify the rule for downloading new files in expanded folders. This will not auto-expand new folders and it will not auto-expand folders that are currently placeholders.

• Folder sync rules will allow you to configure specific folders for auto-syncing. You can determine if you want new files and folders to be expanded/downloaded automatically.

In both of these cases, as long as you have the external folder counterparts within the default odrive folder as placeholder files they will not auto-sync.

More information on auto-sync options: https://docs.odrive.com/docs/sync-source-changes#section-configure-folder-sync-rules