How to prevent automatic updates

I had v.6637 for a while and it was working OK. The current v.6650 has some serious bugs so I want to keep the old version.

Is there a way to block automatic updates of the PC desktop version?

Are the old versions available for downloads anywhere?

Is it possible to downgrade the odrive by installing the older version without losing all the syncing etc?

Hi @mr108,
Thanks for reaching out. We don’t have a supported way to prevent automatic updates, but we haven’t actually pushed 6650 to the autoupdater yet.

Can you tell me what issues you are hitting? We haven’t really had any reports of issues on 6650 and we aren’t aware of any regressions from 6637. With so many different applications, environments, storage services, and ways to use odrive it isn’t possible for us to test all scenarios, so we definitely need reports from users to understand if there are issues we don’t know about. If you are running into some odd behavior I would like to get those things resolved as quickly as possible.

1 Like

Hi Tony,
Thanks for your quick response. Yes, I know 6650 hasn’t been on autoupdater yet. I did a manual update and it was a mistake, so I just wanted to avoid it, that’s why I asked that question.
Fortunately I had an old version 6637 saved somewhere so it worked out. But I couldn’t install it on the top of the 6650 so I had do uninstall it and install the old version. But that caused a lengthy re-syncing, not by uploading or downloading all the files but just probably “recognizing” each file and folder that they exist on both places. That took a while… I assume that if downgrading by installation on top of new version would be possible that re-syncing would not be necessary.

As far as 6650 it just stopped syncing, badges of files and folders disappeared. I repaired it, reinstalled it and nothing helped. So that’s why I installed the old version.
I’m running Win 7 Ultimate, 64 bit.

Hi @mr108,
Thanks for providing these details!

Did you happen to generate a diagnostic when this was happening? If so I may be able to see what the issue was. I don’t think this problem was related to the version because we didn’t change anything in the sync engine between those versions. It sounds like it may have been a local database issue.

A repair install won’t help in that case because the install process just lays down the application files and doesn’t touch the local persistence. In the cases where the local database may have an issue you can perform a deauthorization to reset it, or an uninstall and reinstall. It sounds like you did the latter, but installed an older version. The uninstall removes the local databases, so odrive has to re-scan everything to make sure it is in sync, which is why it took a while.

Please let me know if you encounter any other issues and I can investigate right away. Our top priority is making sure odrive is working the way it should be.

No, I didn’t generate any diagnostics. If I remember right it should be done only on your request, right?
We’ll see how it works, after a while 6650 will be pushed on and if the same problems come up I’ll send you the diagnostics.
Is deauthorization also causing the re-scan?

Hi @mr108,

You can create a diagnostic at any time, we just won’t know to look for it until you tell us. Doing so will also create a local file that can provide information about the current status of the odrive client.

Yes. Deauthorization will clear the user information and local database content. It will not touch your files and folders, though. When odrive starts up again it has a fresh cache, so when you point it back to all of your local data it will need to go through it to index and record the current local and remote states for each item.